An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Sspx

Servus_Mariae

[quote name='MithLuin' post='1762035' date='Jan 25 2009, 10:02 PM']Kitties are good. :kitten:

[b]Apotheoun[/b], while I appreciate that we are not part of the official discussion, that does not mean that we can not discuss

1) history

2) news

3) the SSPX

4) the Magisterium

None of us can speak [i]authoritatively[/i] on the process of the SSPX being brought back into communion with the Church...and I don't think any of us claimed to. Saying that there has to be some level of obedience to the pope and the Magisterium is just common sense...that's part of the definition of being in full communion ;).[/quote]
I just see no point in getting angry or frustrated in connection with the future status of the SSPX when the final outcome of the negotiations between that priestly fraternity and the Holy See is not in our control.

As I have said before, I am not a fan of the SSPX, and I doubt that they would like the theology that I embrace as an Eastern Catholic, but I am not all that concerned about whether or not they accept Vatican II. That is between the SSPX leaders and the Holy See.

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1762079' date='Jan 26 2009, 01:37 AM']If the story is true, honestly it is somewhat confusing to me as well. But if the story is true I would hope that the Vatican in some way explains this.[/quote]

I think that perhaps the article was saying that Vatican II did not [i]define[/i] a dogma that had not already been defined, therefore the SSPX is not disagreeing with dogma, per se. -Katie

Exactly. It's not like Vatican II decided to declare Mary to be Mediatrix of all Graces (or something like that).

The disagreement between the Vatican and the SSPX is at the level of doctrine and discipline.

Still very significant and something that needs to be worked out, as both the leaders of SSPX and the Vatican are well aware.

[quote name='MithLuin' post='1763324' date='Jan 27 2009, 09:19 AM']Exactly. It's not like Vatican II decided to declare Mary to be Mediatrix of all Graces (or something like that).

The disagreement between the Vatican and the SSPX is at the level of doctrine and discipline.

Still very significant and something that needs to be worked out, as both the leaders of SSPX and the Vatican are well aware.[/quote]

Yes-I don't think the article was saying "Hey, guess what? Catholics don't have to believe in Vatican II if they don't want to! New multiple choice Catholicism!" but rather clarifying, probably largely for the SSPX's benefit, I'd think, that Vatican II didn't say anything new, it just expounded on things. -Katie