An Old School Catholic Message Board

Virginity A Tool To Keep Women In Their Place

Lil Red

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1762832' date='Jan 26 2009, 08:31 PM']I go by actual definitions of words, not emotional reaction.[/quote]

Emotions are inextricably linked with some words whether you perceive it that way or not. The "f" word and "conjugate" mean the same thing, but I doubt you'd use the former in everyday conversation. In any case, emotions are part of that which make up our humanity and I don't see what the problem is with having an emotional reaction to a word. -Katie

Edited by Tinkerlina

[quote name='Hassan' post='1763010' date='Jan 26 2009, 11:29 PM']Why is she a "poor girl"? That seems a bit condescending.[/quote]

I feel the same way. Perhaps it is a bit condescending, yes and I try not to be condescending in my thoughts and actions toward others; however, I think that anyone who would sell their bodies has a very poor sense of self worth and is therefore pitiable, which, yes, is a form of condescending. -Katie

[url="http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=do3otUSbTpA"]http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=do3otUSbTpA[/url]

this girl on the Tyra Banks show... uhh... yeah, I think there are some explicit moments... viewer disgression advised.... but yeah, point is, lots of terrified faces. Soo sad...

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1763031' date='Jan 27 2009, 12:05 AM']Emotions are inextricably linked with some words whether you perceive it that way or not. The "f" word and "conjugate" mean the same thing, but I doubt you'd use the former in everyday conversation. In any case, emotions are part of that which make up our humanity and I don't see what the problem is with having an emotional reaction to a word. -Katie[/quote]

Like lust is the perversion of love, the 'f' word is the perversion of conjugate.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1763038' date='Jan 27 2009, 12:12 AM']Like lust is the perversion of love, the 'f' word is the perversion of conjugate.[/quote]

I agree, however, if we're going by dictionary definitions, they mean the same thing. Which is why I do not suggest removing all emotional, cultural, societal and psychological connotations from such words and using them in mixed company with no regard for the repercussions. -Katie

Edited by Tinkerlina

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1763045' date='Jan 27 2009, 12:24 AM']But something which has been perverted is not the same as that which is not.[/quote]

Correct. However, we were specifically talking about using "dictionary definitions" of words. The "f" word is vulgar. It does, however, mean literally the same thing as "conjugate." -Katie

Edited by Tinkerlina

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Socrates' post='1763009' date='Jan 26 2009, 09:28 PM']Yes, nothing's more liberating and elevating for womanhood than being a whore!

Gotta love modern feminism.[/quote]
You'd know.

[url="http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/651672"]http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/651672[/url] Found this, thought it was relevant to the discussion on using the word whore vs. prostitute. -Katie

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1763058' date='Jan 27 2009, 12:31 AM'][url="http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/651672"]http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/651672[/url] Found this, thought it was relevant to the discussion on using the word whore vs. prostitute. -Katie[/quote]
She is a bit confused since both terms mean the same thing. Its like calling the females at the Bunny ranch sex workers - trying to confuse the issue by changing the terms/definitions. So of like the pro-death people calling abortion a "choice" instead of murder.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1763069' date='Jan 27 2009, 12:38 AM']She is a bit confused since both terms mean the same thing. Its like calling the females at the Bunny ranch sex workers - trying to confuse the issue by changing the terms/definitions. So of like the pro-death people calling abortion a "choice" instead of murder.[/quote]

I don't see anyone as being confused-she realizes that the technical definitions are the same, I believe the questions were asked to garner a variety of perceptions on the word and how it is viewed/used in today's society. I understand your point that the two words literally mean the same thing. You are correct. However, I don't think that just because it has the same literal meaning, it is perceived the same way. I don't mean one or two people's perception, I mean on a societal level. The general meaning of a word can change subtly or vastly through time and in various contexts, i.e cultural. For example, I don't think any of us would call a person with mental retardation a "retard." (And I don't use that example because I'm comparing mental retardation with prostitution, I'm using it purely to cite and example of literal meanings having very different meanings contingent upon perception.) -Katie

HisChildForever

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1763020' date='Jan 26 2009, 10:41 PM']And inaccurate, since the bidding was up to 3.8 million.[/quote]

All the digging I do to come up with sources to explain how prostitution is immersed in the sexual double standard, and this is the response I get?

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1763082' date='Jan 27 2009, 12:49 AM']All the digging I do to come up with sources to explain how prostitution is immersed in the sexual double standard, and this is the response I get?[/quote]

I thought it was a lot of conjecture. I found it interesting though. How about your double standard? Why do you assume she's a "poor thing" but not the Johns? :unsure:

HisChildForever

[quote name='Hassan' post='1763090' date='Jan 26 2009, 11:52 PM']I thought it was a lot of conjecture. I found it interesting though. How about your double standard? Why do you assume she's a "poor thing" but not the Johns? :unsure:[/quote]

I called her "poor girl" in relation to being called a whore by members on this thread.