An Old School Catholic Message Board

Virginity A Tool To Keep Women In Their Place

Lil Red

[quote name='MithLuin' post='1761498' date='Jan 25 2009, 02:38 PM']Kinda like how Dumbledore points out to Harry that Voldemort was so busy splitting his soul into different parts that he did not recognize the value of a soul that was whole and intact - ie, Harry's.[/quote]
I think Dumbledore was referring to Voldemort's own soul.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='Hassan' post='1761458' date='Jan 25 2009, 05:04 PM']No it has not "killed" Christianity nor could it. It has, amongst other factors, led to Christianity being seen by many in the west as no longer seeing Christianity, and religion really, as viable.

The destructive power of Darwinism for western Christianity does not and did not lie so much in the idea of a species evolving or changing, such ideas have been around since the Ionists. What was so destructive was presenting a well supported and viable explanation of the emergence of life without God given aid through the mechanism of natural selection. Theodosius Dobzhansky was a great evolutionary biologist and a devout Orthodox Christian. Yet even he said that in the context of biology, like Laplace, he has "no need of that hypothesis (God)". I'm not saying that Darwinism does necessitate atheism, obviously many brilliant biologists have been Christians, but it has had a corrosive effect on religious faith and does increase the difficulties of an outsider seeing any reason to believe in God.[/quote]

I still maintain that in destroying one of the main purposes of the transcendent-to bring meaning to the human condition, especially by giving a purpose to suffering- through science and the way we think of truth being the solely determined by science is the reason for the decline of the conviction of people's ideas concerning the transcendent. By ignoring a certain part of life, there is no need to worry about the end and purpose of it and thus no need to think about the transcendent and one can do as Bacon does and just ignore it. Whether the intellectuals' hearts were more swayed by the "corrosive effect of darwinism" it seems more likely that for the common man, it was science and the removal of pain that has "killed God," as Nietzsche puts it, within the hearts of men.

[quote]My point is not that Christianity is false, but that the rejection of the transcendent is not just the arbitrary decision of individual opting for hedonism over pious faith.[/quote]

And mine is that the loss of the transcendent in the heart, whether acknowledged or not, is the root cause that allows one to place the material as the sole arbiter of value and allows for the rejection of universals as well as the selling of the body as a form of liberation.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1761567' date='Jan 25 2009, 06:15 PM']I think Dumbledore was referring to Voldemort's own soul.[/quote]

Oh, sorry for not getting the exact quote. When Voldemort tries to possess Harry at the end of the 5th book, he is driven out by the intense pain of the power of love (ditto with why Quirrel gets his face burned off at the end of the first one). That was Dumbledore's point - Voldemort was so keen on getting his own soul split into a bunch of pieces by murdering people, that he never stopped to think that it might be worthwhile to have a soul that was whole, the way it should be. Harry, who has never committed murder, fits that description, so Dumbledore uses him as an example for comparison.

In other words, Harry represents what Voldemort disregards as useless, but he is now finding out that perhaps he was a bit hasty in that determination....

[quote name='"Dumbledore"']Voldemort should have known then what he was dealing with, but he did not! But he knows it now. You have flitted into Lord Voldemort's mind without damage to yourself, but he cannot possess you without enduring mortal agony, as he discovered in the Ministry. I do not think he understands why, Harry, but then, he was in such a hurry to mutilate his own soul, he never paused to understand the incomparable power of a soul that is untarnished and whole.[/quote]

To bring that back to the topic at hand, if a woman is so hasty as to be scornful of virginity and just cast it aside in exchange for some cash...she is perhaps missing the value of what it means to give yourself, body and soul, to someone in a loving relationship or maintain purity. It is also not a terribly original practice; [i]Memoirs of a Geisha[/i] includes the auctioning off of the young girl's virginity, and prostitutes have often sold themselves for more on the claim that it was their first time.

missionseeker

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1761560' date='Jan 25 2009, 06:13 PM']Its not cruel, its the truth.[/quote]

[quote]1Jesus, however, went to the Mount of Olives. 2At daybreak he appeared again in the temple, and all the people came to him. So he sat down and began to teach them. 3But the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery.[a] After setting her before them,[b] 4they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the very act of adultery. 5Now in the law, Moses commanded us to stone such women to death. What do you say?” 6They said this to test him, so that they might have a charge against him. But Jesus bent down and began to write on the ground with his finger.2
7When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8Then he bent down again and continued writing on the ground.[c] 9When they heard this, they went away one by one,[d] beginning with the oldest,[e] and he was left alone with the woman standing there.[f] 10[/quote]

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Thank you for the reminder to keep charity in the forefront of our minds. I do think that one thing we can all agree on is to pray for and petition on behalf of her, those bidding on her (I can't believe I just had to type that), and our culture/society.

[quote name='MithLuin' post='1761708' date='Jan 25 2009, 05:50 PM']In other words, Harry represents what Voldemort disregards as useless, but he is now finding out that perhaps he was a bit hasty in that determination....[/quote]
Yes, and that is why I said Dumbledore was referring to Voldemort's own soul, and his lack of care by dividing it. In the final analysis Voldemort lost in his battle against the good, because he defeated himself.

Edited by Apotheoun

HisChildForever

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1761479' date='Jan 25 2009, 04:28 PM']I suppose. It still seems very cruel to call a woman by that term though, no matter if her occupation appears to fit the definition.[/quote]

Agreed. We also have to remember that prostitution is as much about the buyer as it is the seller. Too many focus on the female prostitute as "trash" while neglecting the male buyer.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1761925' date='Jan 25 2009, 10:01 PM']Agreed. We also have to remember that prostitution is as much about the buyer as it is the seller. Too many focus on the female prostitute as "trash" while neglecting the male buyer.[/quote]

Countries that have the best success with prostitution are ones that criminalize the Johns, and treat the prostitutes as victims.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1761965' date='Jan 26 2009, 12:29 AM']That's ridiculous. Clearly the best way to keep a woman in her place is strong locks and burglar bars.[/quote]

:lol_roll:

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1761469' date='Jan 25 2009, 05:21 PM']She is a whore no matter where she sells it.[/quote]

I don't think we should be labelling her as a person. Her behavior is obviously sinful, but we don't know what issues she has going on that brought her to this sad state. -Katie

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1761962' date='Jan 26 2009, 12:26 AM']Its not kindness to call a sin by some less upsetting name.[/quote]

It's not the issue of what we call the sin, but what we call the person. -Katie

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1761560' date='Jan 25 2009, 07:13 PM']Its not cruel, its the truth.[/quote]

... perhaps. I don't know. :unsure:

:sign: