An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hail Mary, Gentle Woman

Vincent Vega

Does this hymn have feminist overtones?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Text:
[quote]1. You were chosen by the Father;
you were chosen for the Son.
You were chosen from all women
[b]and for woman,[/b] shining one.
2. Blessed are you among women,
[b]blest in turn all women, too.[/b]
Blessed they with peaceful spirits.
Blessed they with gentle hearts.[/quote]
This hymn was written by Carey Landry, copyright 1975.

I've always felt a little fishy singing this song. The parts in bold, I've always felt strange about. Just that somehow the sinless nature and position as Mother of God of Mary somehow makes all women blessed (women especially - no mention of man or even just humankind) has always just seemed a little weird to me. Especially the last part of the first stanza...what does that even mean? Maybe I'm reading too far in.
Considering the text and historical context (the "turbulent" times of the 70's, with women's lib, VII, so forth), what do you think about this song?

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

Aw, I have a memory of our teacher teaching us all to sing this song in kindergarten... It was so cute. I hope.
I dunno, I don't se it as overtly 'negatively feminist'. Seems to me that it's more of a reference to Mary being the ideal and perfect woman.
[quote]You were chosen from all women
and for woman, shining one.[/quote]
This part tells me that she's the perfect example for all women to follow.
[quote]Blessed are you among women,
blest in turn all women, too.[/quote]
This says to me that Mary, being a woman, could be said to have a special connection to all women, blessing all of them in a special way.

I dunno. I'm ok with it. :unsure:

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1760777' date='Jan 25 2009, 12:16 AM']Text:

This hymn was written by Carey Landry, copyright 1975.

I've always felt a little fishy singing this song. The parts in bold, I've always felt strange about. Just that somehow the sinless nature and position as Mother of God of Mary somehow makes all women blessed (women especially - no mention of man or even just humankind) has always just seemed a little weird to me. Especially the last part of the first stanza...what does that even mean? Maybe I'm reading too far in.
Considering the text and historical context (the "turbulent" times of the 70's, with women's lib, VII, so forth), what do you think about this song?[/quote]

It never occured to me to think of it that way. I think the song is just saying that God honored Mary and all women by being born of a woman. I don't think there's anything political about it, myself. -Katie

Sometimes we read things into songs that are simply there because the lyricist needed to add a word that rhymed, or helped with the meter.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1760830' date='Jan 25 2009, 12:34 AM']Sometimes we read things into songs that are simply there because the lyricist needed to add a word that rhymed, or helped with the meter.[/quote]

I only found out like 2 months ago that "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God" was by Martin Luther! I was a bit surprised! -Katie

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1760816' date='Jan 25 2009, 12:30 AM']Aw, I have a memory of our teacher teaching us all to sing this song in kindergarten... It was so cute. I hope.
I dunno, I don't se it as overtly 'negatively feminist'. Seems to me that it's more of a reference to Mary being the ideal and perfect woman.

This part tells me that she's the perfect example for all women to follow.

This says to me that Mary, being a woman, could be said to have a special connection to all women, blessing all of them in a special way.

I dunno. I'm ok with it. :unsure:[/quote]
That makes sense then.
[quote name='CatherineM' post='1760830' date='Jan 25 2009, 12:34 AM']Sometimes we read things into songs that are simply there because the lyricist needed to add a word that rhymed, or helped with the meter.[/quote]
I suppose you're right. I guess I'm just paranoid then.
[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1760835' date='Jan 25 2009, 12:36 AM']It's rather [b]insipid[/b], but not offensive.[/quote]
I could second that.

I don'tknow whether to vote that there are 'good' feminist overtones, or none at all... :P

I'll vote that the feminist overtones are good as long as you realize that I'm talking about real feminism, and not the whole thing it mutated into.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

cmotherofpirl

The honor paid to the Virgin Mary because of her status in the Church raised the status of women in general, so its entirely appropriate line.

Nothing's greater than true love...except maybe a nice MLT, mutton lettuce and tomato sandwich, with the mutton really lean...oh that's so perky.

The only thing that has bothered me about the song is that it praises Mary for being so quiet and gentle....and then you read the Magnificat, and it just doesn't fit. So, it's okay, but I don't think it's a great hymn about Mary. Usually, though, it gets sung on feast days, so you sing a bunch of other Marian songs to balance it out ;).

[quote name='MithLuin' post='1761853' date='Jan 25 2009, 09:16 PM']The only thing that has bothered me about the song is that it praises Mary for being so quiet and gentle....and then you read the Magnificat, and it just doesn't fit. So, it's okay, but I don't think it's a great hymn about Mary. Usually, though, it gets sung on feast days, so you sing a bunch of other Marian songs to balance it out ;).[/quote]
The five year old me still has a soft spot for that one... :))

+J.M.J.+
off topic posts are being moved to the Lame Board. and will continue to be until people realize that hijacking threads is not cool. it is lame.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1762406' date='Jan 26 2009, 12:55 PM']+J.M.J.+
off topic posts are being moved to the Lame Board. and will continue to be until people realize that hijacking threads is not cool. it is lame.[/quote]
:rolleyes:

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1762793' date='Jan 26 2009, 05:54 PM']Eventually trollers are banned.[/quote]
Been there, done that. It's all up to your personal definition. No offense, but yours tends to be anyone who says something you don't like. Hardly counts as trolling.