An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christians, Jews, Muslims, And The God Of Abraham

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1760757' date='Jan 24 2009, 09:06 PM']But if they are in innocent ignorance, aren't they thereby unable from consciously separating themselves from God? -katie[/quote]
Invincible ignorance is greatly misunderstood. Very few people in the world are invincibly ignorant, because invincible ignorance means that a person was incapable of understanding the truth.

Moreover, I would never want to equate worship (Orthodoxa) with ignorance of God (vincible or invincible).

Finally, one does not have to be conscious of separating himself from God in order to do just that.

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1760764' date='Jan 25 2009, 12:12 AM']Finally, one does not have to be conscious of separating himself from God in order to do just that.[/quote]

Can you explain this please?

[quote name='Hassan' post='1760790' date='Jan 24 2009, 09:22 PM']Can you explain this please?[/quote]
Consciousness is not identical with objective reality.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1760764' date='Jan 25 2009, 12:12 AM']Invincible ignorance is greatly misunderstood. Very few people in the world are invincibly ignorant, because invincible ignorance means that a person was incapable of understanding the truth.

Moreover, I would never want to equate worship (Orthodoxa) with ignorance of God (vincible or invincible).

Finally, one does not have to be conscious of separating himself from God in order to do just that.[/quote]

How can I say that someone is or isn't capable of understanding the truth? That is for God to determine, not me. If a person unconsciously separates themself from God...I don't know what to make of that, really-wouldn't that in some way portend ignorance? And I'm not equating worship with ignorance of God....I don't understand what you mean by that. -Katie

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1760796' date='Jan 24 2009, 09:24 PM']How can I say that someone is or isn't capable of understanding the truth? That is for God to determine, not me. If a person unconsciously separates themself from God...I don't know what to make of that, really-wouldn't that in some way portend ignorance? And I'm not equating worship with ignorance of God....I don't understand what you mean by that. -Katie[/quote]
Right, only God knows if a person is invincibly ignorant, so appealing to that possibility in a discussion is in the final analysis pointless.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1760799' date='Jan 25 2009, 12:25 AM']Right, only God knows if a person is invincibly ignorant, so appealing to that possibility in a discussion is in the final analysis pointless.[/quote]

Ok. -Katie

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1760727' date='Jan 24 2009, 11:50 PM']Faith and worship are indivisible wholes, thus one cannot have "pieces" of them.[/quote]
Appy is it possible to say that it is right that they acknowledge the existance of only one God?