An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sspx Excommunications Lifted!

Resurrexi

BTW, a little insight on what the lifting of the excommunication means, [url="http://wdtprs.com/blog/2009/01/misconceptions-what-the-lifting-of-the-sspx-excoms-means-for-people/"]here[/url].

[quote name='philothea' post='1760792' date='Jan 25 2009, 12:22 AM']BTW, a little insight on what the lifting of the excommunication means, [url="http://wdtprs.com/blog/2009/01/misconceptions-what-the-lifting-of-the-sspx-excoms-means-for-people/"]here[/url].[/quote]

Thank you! -Katie

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1760670' date='Jan 24 2009, 11:22 PM']basically, he fell for it because he doesn't like the "Shoah business" or the "Holocaust industry" (terms coined by Norman G. Finkelstein, son of a Holocaust Survivor)... but the brush of "holocaust denyer" is way too broad; yes, he thinks the Nazi genocide was smaller than the accepted number and that it did not use the same means, but he's no neo-nazi out to see more Jews killed or something...[/quote]

Ah hah!

I thought I smelled Finkelstein :topsy:

I remember my first year of High School when a girl informed me that "you know there is no actual proof the Holocaust occured". I was absolutly stunned. This girl is horribly wrong but I don't think she was morally blamworthy for being ignorant.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1760809' date='Jan 24 2009, 10:28 PM']Ah hah!

I thought I smelled Finkelstein :topsy:

I remember my first year of High School when a girl informed me that "you know there is no actual proof the Holocaust occured". I was absolutly stunned. This girl is horribly wrong but I don't think she was morally blamworthy for being ignorant.[/quote]
Same way we don't necessarily hate all those crazy global warming people. ;)

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1760820' date='Jan 25 2009, 12:31 AM']Same way we don't necessarily hate all those crazy global warming people. ;)[/quote]

sure, you still have some crazies out there deneying it :detective:

:smokey:

:topsy:

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1760820' date='Jan 25 2009, 12:31 AM']Same way we don't necessarily hate all those crazy global warming people. ;)[/quote]

Does anyone here believe in Global Warming? Doesn't seem like it...-Katie

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1760828' date='Jan 24 2009, 10:34 PM']Does anyone here believe in Global Warming? Doesn't seem like it...-Katie[/quote]
I dunno. I haven't really followed the threads that discussed it.
Anyway, I just don't subscribe to the whole "caused by humans" aspect. Not particularly qualified to talk about it, but my dad is, and I trust him.
I don't want to hijack this thread though.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1760841' date='Jan 25 2009, 12:38 AM']I dunno. I haven't really followed the threads that discussed it.
Anyway, I just don't subscribe to the whole "caused by humans" aspect. Not particularly qualified to talk about it, but my dad is, and I trust him.
I don't want to hijack this thread though.[/quote]

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to hijack it either-I just keep seeing references to it and how stupid it is. -Katie

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1760760' date='Jan 24 2009, 09:10 PM']So long as we focus on the negative, the negative is all we will see. Yes, the SSPX has it's problems. Yet it has been right about a great many things namely, The Holy Mass of the Extraordinary Form. Since their beginning they have stated again and again that Mass was never abolished and they or any priest had the right to offer it. For many years they we're insulted on this issue. Pope Benedict XVI in Summorum Pontificum justified the SSPX stance.

It would have been nice for us to only focus on the happiness of the return of our brethren. Instead we have acted like the elder brother and debated.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
why can't we debate about it? because you think we shouldn't? :rolleyes: there's a lot of things i don't think we should debate about on phatmass, and yet, we still do.

yep, that was finkelstein; he's definitely right about the shoah business I think

I absolutely hate how this story has been steered this way, tons of news headlines read something similar to "Pope lifts excommunication on holocaust denier"; it's ridiculous that THIS is the major issue, this should be a joyous moment when the Pope welcomes back FOUR BISHOPS, none of who were excommunicated for denying the holocaust. Fellay's the superior general of the society anyway, not Williamson. I always liked Bishop Fellay... here is his letter: (it's a pdf): [url="http://www.dici.org/dl/fichiers/Letter_Sup_Gen.pdf"]http://www.dici.org/dl/fichiers/Letter_Sup_Gen.pdf[/url]

I really hope this begins to take away the day-to-day stigma attached to people who simply try to hold to tradition, and even though the Society's not regularized, it really should make the attitude people have against them that often gets quite vicious be a little more respectful and balanced away from a "those arrogant evil schismatics need to recognize the horrible errors of their ways" type attitude. see, to Rome it's not about seeing the SSPX do some type of 180, it's about finding the right way that the Society can find continuity in the Church.