An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sspx Excommunications Lifted!

Resurrexi

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1760336' date='Jan 24 2009, 01:46 PM']This should make me hopeful, but it just makes me feel a bit uneasy.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
agreed. everyone at my parish (mostly liberal), will take this very very wrong. :(

Indeed. It may encourage a sort of 'oh anything goes' attitude, and resentment towards Pope Benedict. I'm just not sure whether SSPX has changed, or will change enough to make me feel comfortable.

This makes me feel positive on the one hand as my oldest brother is a SSPXer and his going over to SSPX has caused a rift in our relationship. However I can't see him backing down on his bashing of Vatican II of SSPC and CCC 841 and other related paragraphs and so I am still a bit reserved about it. Surely Benedict and the Congregation will work these things out.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1760166' date='Jan 24 2009, 01:11 PM']I read in the paper this morning that this is affecting our Jewish relations. One of the four bishops is a Holocaust denier. The ADL, the Jewish/Vatican relations guys are all really mad. I didn't realize that any Catholic bishops were deniers. Maybe if they are willing to come back under the Pope's authority, Benedict can straighten him out.[/quote]

Oh no...how on earth could a person deny the Holocaust? That is shameful. -Katie

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1760341' date='Jan 24 2009, 04:56 PM']Indeed. It may encourage a sort of 'oh anything goes' attitude, and resentment towards Pope Benedict. I'm just not sure whether SSPX has changed, or will change enough to make me feel comfortable.[/quote]

Yes, that is exactly how I feel. -Katie

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1760379' date='Jan 24 2009, 06:30 PM']I guess all we can do is have faith in our dearest Pope.[/quote]

Yes, definitely. -Katie

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Dave' post='1760398' date='Jan 25 2009, 01:10 AM']But even though the excommunications have been lifted, they're not yet back in full communion. Be careful.[/quote]

:yes:

[quote name='doe-jo' post='1760390' date='Jan 25 2009, 05:23 AM']Deo Gratias!!!

Im going to a SSPX mass tomorrow.[/quote]

I was reading on Fr. Z's blog ([url="http://wdtprs.com/blog/2009/01/some-thoughts-about-the-sspx-rome-and-unity/#comment-108340"]in his combox comments[/url]) that the situation about attending SSPX masses has not changed.

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1760369' date='Jan 24 2009, 05:59 PM']Oh no...how on earth could a person deny the Holocaust? That is shameful. -Katie[/quote]
Yo Tink,

We don't think the Holocaust happened.

Signed, the Flat Earth Society

[quote name='XIX' post='1760430' date='Jan 24 2009, 07:59 PM']Yo Tink,

We don't think the Holocaust happened.

Signed, the Flat Earth Society[/quote]

Yeah that's pretty much about how logical it is... but it is far more damaging than believing the earth is flat. -Katie

KnightofChrist

Bp Williamson views on the holocaust are his own do not represent the views of SSPX or the Church, according to [url="http://wdtprs.com/blog/2009/01/bp-fellay-responds-to-the-swedish-tv-re-bp-williamsons-interview/"]Bp. Fellay[/url].

I should also note, that the Bishops of the SSPX are real Bishops, always have been, only they use to be excommunicated, now they are not. Open criticism of a Bishop is typically not what good Catholics should do, because it does not show respect to his office.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1760445' date='Jan 24 2009, 08:22 PM']Bp Williamson views on the holocaust are his own do not represent the views of SSPX or the Church, according to [url="http://wdtprs.com/blog/2009/01/bp-fellay-responds-to-the-swedish-tv-re-bp-williamsons-interview/"]Bp. Fellay[/url].

I should also note, that the Bishops of the SSPX are real Bishops, always have been, only they use to be excommunicated, now they are not. Open criticism of a Bishop is typically not what good Catholics should do, because it does not show respect to his office.[/quote]

I will criticize [i]anyone[/i] who would mislead people in such a dangerous way. Even if his views on the holocaust do not represent the SSPX, I think they should try to correct him. Additionally, I don't understand how a person who has been excommunicated can be a bishop. -Katie