An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is The Hysteria Over The Next President Elect Idol Worship?

add

Is the hysteria over the next president elect Idol worship?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1754381' date='Jan 18 2009, 12:32 PM']It wasn't a landslide popular win. The people are divided.[/quote]

True, it wasn't a landslide. but it was a decisive win. Obama won by about 7 percentage points in one of the largest election turnouts ever. He also won 53% of the vote, about 8.5 million votes over McCain. Of course he did win a landslide of electoral votes, 365 to McCain's 173.

[quote name='jkaands' post='1766085' date='Jan 29 2009, 07:21 PM']True, it wasn't a landslide. but it was a decisive win. Obama won by about 7 percentage points in one of the largest election turnouts ever. He also won 53% of the vote, about 8.5 million votes over McCain. Of course he did win a landslide of electoral votes, 365 to McCain's 173.[/quote]
Yes, because of the way the votes are awarded in the electoral system, which is overwhelmingly an all or nothing. With the kinds of numbers you're talking about, 8.5 million isn't very much--hence the use of percentages.

The record turnout means that inexperienced voters probably put him over. Hardly encouraging.

I am no fan of Obama at all. And I think people are unnaturally consumed by his charisma and historic win. But seriously? Idol worship? A 3:2 vote that people think he is worshipped? I think that's silly. Give him a year or two and everyone will be at his throat as much as president. The honeymoon will end and then the economy will still smell of elderberries and there will be more to hit the fan I'm sure.

[quote name='Veridicus' post='1766233' date='Jan 29 2009, 08:29 PM']I am no fan of Obama at all. And I think people are unnaturally consumed by his charisma and historic win. But seriously? Idol worship? A 3:2 vote that people think he is worshipped? I think that's silly. Give him a year or two and everyone will be at his throat as much as president. The honeymoon will end and then the economy will still smell of elderberries and there will be more to hit the fan I'm sure.[/quote]
I think that's what we're all hoping for.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1768280' date='Feb 1 2009, 01:45 AM']I think that's what we're all hoping for.[/quote]
That statement could possibly be considered racist by the great multitude of O B’s faithful.

Edited by apparently

[quote name='apparently' post='1768452' date='Feb 1 2009, 09:44 AM']That statement could possibly be considered racist by the great multitude of O B’s faithful.[/quote]
I mentioned it earlier, I was accused of being racist just a few weeks ago for saying that I don't support Barack Obama.
I think it's only going to get worse before it gets better. :S :unsure:

[quote name='Winchester' post='1766100' date='Jan 29 2009, 06:33 PM']Yes, because of the way the votes are awarded in the electoral system, which is overwhelmingly an all or nothing. With the kinds of numbers you're talking about, 8.5 million isn't very much--hence the use of percentages.

The record turnout means that inexperienced voters probably put him over. Hardly encouraging.[/quote]

Obama attracted record support across all categories: young, middle-aged and old: Catholics (54%), Jews and even young evangelicals; ALL races and national backgrounds, including Hispanics; the lines were record-long; the absentee and early voters also achieved records, including my city.

Many Republicans voted Democrat for the first time in their lives.

It's true that youth got out, registered and voted for him, but mainly they [i]worked[/i] for him.

Learn the facts.

The percent of voter turnout in the 2008 election was 56.8%, which was up from 55.3% in the presidential election of 2004.

Madame Vengier

I actually DO think there is idol-worship going on with Obama. If anyone has any doubt, check out this blog. The content is real, not satire.

[url="http://obamamessiah.blogspot.com/"]http://obamamessiah.blogspot.com/[/url]

Check that blog on the right -hand side for real quotes from various people expressing praise, worship, adulation and glory to Obama. It makes my skin crawl, like this one:

[quote]"Many even see in Obama a messiah-like figure, a great soul, and some affectionately call him Mahatma Obama."

-- Dinesh Sharma[/quote]

And this I found from the website [url="http://www.asianamericansforobama.com/"]Asian-Americans For Obama[/url], "A Praise Song":

[quote]Between now and November 4...
Let's spend one minute a day...
Envisioning Barack Obama...
As our President...
Prepare your heart
to fill with hope...
Prepare your mind to embrace the change...
Envision
Barack victorious on election night...
...Taking the oath of office...
On Inauguration Day...
Believe that this great moment in American
history is already a reality...
Say the words to yourself...
To your
family...
To your friends and neighbors...
Say it to the world...
Your vision is a sacred trust...
You are a sanctuary of a sacred vision
for a renewed America...
Envision it...
Say it...
Feel it...
Believe it...
Make it our reality...
Manifest Obama, America![/quote]

[quote name='jkaands' post='1769007' date='Feb 1 2009, 09:33 PM']Obama attracted record support across all categories: young, middle-aged and old: Catholics (54%), Jews and even young evangelicals; ALL races and national backgrounds, including Hispanics; the lines were record-long; the absentee and early voters also achieved records, including my city.

Many Republicans voted Democrat for the first time in their lives.

It's true that youth got out, registered and voted for him, but mainly they [i]worked[/i] for him.

Learn the facts.[/quote]
I know the facts. I also know the popular vote didn't elect him. My disapproval of him to a greater degree than the alternative was due to knowing the facts. Either record turnout helped him or it didn't. My point is valid. I'm pretty sure that most of our past victors got votes from "ALL races and national backgrounds, including Hispanics" but that doesn't impress me. Yes, foolishness affects all people. Stop the presses.

Broad stupidity and slavish devotion to half-reared media reports don't impress me. The youth worked for him. Great. Hitler had pretty little blue-eyed kids marching in step, too. Unimpressive. There's nothing particularly unusual about the man other than breathless celebrity backing. He's well-spoken. Yeah. I hear Mao Tse Tung was quite impressive, as well. Lest ye invert your stomach in rage, it's only a statement that the ability to move the people isn't any surety of righteousness or ability to lead in the right direction.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1768280' date='Feb 1 2009, 12:45 AM']I think that's what we're all hoping for.[/quote]

You better watch out or President Obama will add you to his list of people to tell Republicans in Congress they shouldn't listen to anymore...."You just can't listen to anything Rush Limbaugh or Nihil Obstat say and expect to get anything done."

:lol_roll:

+J.M.J.+
i present, [url="http://www.floppingaces.net/2009/02/01/is-there-a-little-obama-in-you/"]more cult worship[/url]

[quote name='Veridicus' post='1769836' date='Feb 2 2009, 12:43 PM']You better watch out or President Obama will add you to his list of people to tell Republicans in Congress they shouldn't listen to anymore...."You just can't listen to anything Rush Limbaugh or Nihil Obstat say and expect to get anything done."

:lol_roll:[/quote]
I think the Human Rights Soviet will have me thrown in a gulag first. If I ever disappear with no evidence I ever existed, that's why.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1769694' date='Feb 2 2009, 10:00 AM']I know the facts. I also know the popular vote didn't elect him. My disapproval of him to a greater degree than the alternative was due to knowing the facts. Either record turnout helped him or it didn't. My point is valid. I'm pretty sure that most of our past victors got votes from "ALL races and national backgrounds, including Hispanics" but that doesn't impress me. Yes, foolishness affects all people. Stop the presses.

Broad stupidity and slavish devotion to half-reared media reports don't impress me. The youth worked for him. Great. Hitler had pretty little blue-eyed kids marching in step, too. Unimpressive. There's nothing particularly unusual about the man other than breathless celebrity backing. He's well-spoken. Yeah. I hear Mao Tse Tung was quite impressive, as well. Lest ye invert your stomach in rage, it's only a statement that the ability to move the people isn't any surety of righteousness or ability to lead in the right direction.[/quote]

You're unhappy (I would call it petulant and spiteful) because [i]you[/i] didn't vote for him and he got elected anyway!

Well, if it will make you any happier, I'm sure that his high approval ratings will soon start to fall.

Other Americans have admired their presidents in the extreme. Washington, Lincoln and FDR were 'worshipped' by the populace. Lincoln was virtually sainted after his assassination.