An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is The Hysteria Over The Next President Elect Idol Worship?

add

Is the hysteria over the next president elect Idol worship?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1757675' date='Jan 21 2009, 10:29 AM']The difference between you and Jesus_lol is, of course, the fact that he's a mature human being who came here to converse and learn, to share and to grow. Whereas you are here to berate and belittle, to force your malformed opinion on us.[/quote]

thanks man.

cmotherofpirl

We have no problem with people who disagree, as long as its done courteously.
Trolls and middle-schoolers are banned.

Alright, I'll give it an attempt.

I assume bonkers finds slavery morally repugnant. I used the term for that reason. I could have used any number of human actions commonly held to be evil or immoral. Substitute anything you find completely inexcusable into your argument and perhaps you can relate to our position. We consider abortion to be murder. To us, it is legalized murder of the completely helpless. So "just pro-choice" is rather a significant problem, as you should now be able to see.

As an atheist, you must adopt a certain relativism. There is, for the atheist, no absolute morality, since morality is not material, but an idea. There is no morality element. As a proselytizer of your belief, you must become more sympathetic. You must acknowledge respectfully the most inane positions of your opponent and try to wheedle your way in. You're not impressive enough to be a bully and were you a more imposing figure, you would still have to contend with the large apparat arrayed before you. Even for the most easily cowed among us there is a large support. The worst debaters in here have the likes of Socrates, Nihil, and others to combat your novelties scholastically, whereas I can belittle them in more barbaric ways. A conciliatory tone rather negates me. As the recent election shows, emptiness presented in a nice package will take you far, especially if your opponent can't present himself properly. Then you'll just have to deal with the civilised aspects of Phatmass. In other words, you're not fighting an image war, but merely an idea war. The latter will be easier to win, as you are on enemy territory. Yes, if you quit acting like an idiot, I will have less fun. But the trade off is, that since your ideas are so completely stupid and unstable, the nicer elements will have a greater chance of converting you, whereas I would eventually get you with Stockholm Syndrome. As a loveless cad, the latter is enough for me.

Just sayin...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2CaBR3z85c&eurl=http://lj-toys.com/?journalid=3109027&moduleid=704&preview=&auth_token=sessionless:1232575200:embedcontent"]Amazing utube [/url]

truth be known

[quote name='Winchester' post='1757743' date='Jan 21 2009, 12:49 PM']Even for the most easily cowed among us there is a large support. The worst debaters in here have the likes of Socrates, Nihil, and others to combat your novelties scholastically, whereas I can belittle them in more barbaric ways.[/quote]
Ha! Hahahaha Ha hA HA!@!
Scholastically? I just ranted. :P
I hope you aren't implying that I'm any good at debating 'scholastically'. I'm not even out of high school yet! :))

Other than that, well said.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1758258' date='Jan 21 2009, 11:20 PM']Ha! Hahahaha Ha hA HA!@!
Scholastically? I just ranted. :P
I hope you aren't implying that I'm any good at debating 'scholastically'. I'm not even out of high school yet! :))

Other than that, well said.[/quote]
Not formal scholasticism, rather the approach and tone.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1758424' date='Jan 22 2009, 04:50 AM']Not formal scholasticism, rather the approach and tone.[/quote]
I must be doing something right then, but it's all incidental.
If anything, I guess it's the way I think.

The outpouring of euphoric optimism currently gripping the U.S. following the inauguration of Barack Obama may yet result in a baby boom towards the end of this year.
Consider that the mood sweeping America is a potent combination of hope and optimism for the future and you have an almost certain increase in pregnancies or as president Obama puts it a mistake and punished with a baby.

[quote name='apparently' post='1760072' date='Jan 24 2009, 08:30 AM']The outpouring of euphoric optimism currently gripping the U.S. following the inauguration of Barack Obama may yet result in a baby boom towards the end of this year.
Consider that the mood sweeping America is a potent combination of hope and optimism for the future and you have an almost certain increase in pregnancies or as president Obama puts it a mistake and punished with a baby.[/quote]

So you are saying Obama is an aphrodisiac like a chocolate covered strawberry? Sorry, He doesn't do it for me, rather the opposite reaction.

[quote name='apparently' post='1761115' date='Jan 25 2009, 08:52 AM']Why is it that so many can worship a mortal man, but not worship God?[/quote]

deception by the devil.

[quote name='Giolla' post='1760630' date='Jan 24 2009, 10:57 PM']So you are saying Obama is an aphrodisiac like a chocolate covered strawberry? Sorry, He doesn't do it for me, rather the opposite reaction.[/quote]
He's never provoked anything in me other than nausea.

Even worse are his hordes of mindless worshipers. Yes, this current mass-hysteria over Obama is indeed idol worship, and over such a pathetic idol too. It's really sad to see grown men acting like 13-year-girls at a Jonas Brothers concert.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1762998' date='Jan 26 2009, 10:05 PM']He's never provoked anything in me other than nausea.

Even worse are his hordes of mindless worshipers. Yes, this current mass-hysteria over Obama is indeed idol worship, and over such a pathetic idol too. It's really sad to see grown men acting like 13-year-girls at a Jonas Brothers concert.[/quote]
Speak of the devil...

[quote name='apparently' post='1761115' date='Jan 25 2009, 07:52 AM']Why is it that so many can worship a mortal man, but not worship God?[/quote]
The path is easier?

[quote name='Socrates' post='1762998' date='Jan 26 2009, 10:05 PM']He's never provoked anything in me other than nausea.

Even worse are his hordes of mindless worshipers. Yes, this current mass-hysteria over Obama is indeed idol worship, and over such a pathetic idol too. It's really sad to see grown men acting like 13-year-girls at a Jonas Brothers concert.[/quote]

You know there was an article cartoon in the IBS newspaper my father gets (not Irritable Bowel Syndrome even though that is what my medical mind says but a buisness newspaper). The cartoon shows the stage after the inaguration. It has women's underwear thrown all over the stage with Media written all over them. Your comment reminded me of that. Obama is a rock star. The hysteria, pop and circumstance is just like those of stars. Idol Worship? You mean he isn't God?

I predict one of several things happening. People are holding him up so high with so much expectation. One, he will fail to meet those expectations and will disappoint everyone. Two, he will fail and everyone will NOT find wrong in him because in their minds he cannot do any wrong.

I am already seeing the latter. At work I made the comment how I do not see ANYONE commenting on how Obama messed up his oath. I was jumped all over. "He was nervous." "It was the Judge's fault" "They were both nervous." "He had it memorized." "It wasn't his fault." Holy cow!! I totally laughed out loud. They were silent when I made the comment, "If Bush did that, I will bet my next pay check that people would not be saying it was his nerves or the judge's fault."