An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Is More Important?

VoTeckam

Which is more important to you?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1759206' date='Jan 23 2009, 07:48 AM']Maybe I'm the one who's wrong to expect a connection between orthodox liturgy and radical social action. Why aren't the same priests who take care to incense the Gospels and the altar taking care to challenge me to a deeper relationship with God and service to those in need?[/quote]
I haven't seen anyone in this thread deny that there is a connection between the liturgy and works of grace within Christian society, but the question asked by the original poster was about which is more important. The answer to that question is the liturgy, because the liturgy -- as the source and summit of the Christian life -- is the foundation of all else. The liturgy is the [i]anamnesis[/i] of Christ's paschal mystery, His resurrection, His ascension, and His glorious second coming, and so it is through this liturgical commemoration that we experience Christ's saving action and receive His divine energy, which empowers us to live a life of virtue in service to God (first and foremost) and to our fellow man.

Ultimately, it is by the [i]kenosis[/i] (self-emptying) of the eternal Logos in the incarnation that man's [i]theosis[/i] (deification) is achieved, and through [i]theosis[/i] (deification) humanity experiences its own [i]kenosis[/i] (self-emptying), and all of this is made possible through the liturgy and the sacramental graces it provides.

Edited by Apotheoun

• 2 weeks later...