An Old School Catholic Message Board

Internet Pirating, Intellectual Property, And Restitution

Mr.Cat

dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='Dust's Sister' post='1749819' date='Jan 12 2009, 09:55 PM']Here's another one for you, How about buying used cd's? I don't know if buying used cd's like lets say from Half Price books --- Do the artists get credit there still for another sale?[/quote]

the original song was bought though.
thta's like, if you buy a book, or anything, the original book was bought, and can be sold. legit.

with downloading, there was no original purchasing.
true, there's copying merely from an original, but eveyrone nows you cant just copy books or etc without it being immoral and illegal.

[quote name='Dust's Sister' post='1749819' date='Jan 12 2009, 06:55 PM']Here's another one for you, How about buying used cd's? I don't know if buying used cd's like lets say from Half Price books --- Do the artists get credit there still for another sale?[/quote]

Not even close to the same as file [s]sharing[/s] theft.

It's like a used book. The royalty on the license has already been paid. This is a legitimate copy--not a stolen one.

dairygirl4u2c

a problem intuitively with my logic, is that it should be okay to copy a book in its entirety if you weren't gonna buy it anyway.
i'd tend to think that wrong, but, on second thought, i don't think it would be.

it does still involve a hefty deal of self honesty though.