An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are The Three Things Which Hinder Our Path To Holiness?

kafka

St. John speaks of "the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life":

[quote]Do not love the world or the things in the world. If any one loves the world, love for the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, [b]the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the pride of life[/b], is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world passes away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides for ever.

--1John 2:15-17[/quote]

HisChildForever

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1747930' date='Jan 10 2009, 12:12 AM']Is this a riddle of some kind?[/quote]

Personally, I'm wondering what happens after we've established "the three things."

[quote name='kafka' post='1747667' date='Jan 9 2009, 07:49 PM']I am referring to something precluding vice. Think of fallen human nature. Human nature is good and in the fullest sense holy, since God created us, and gave us the purpose of knowing and loving Him. But something happened and the result of it hinders us from reaching Him (we have His help and gifts of course but that is another topic).

What are those influences which hinder or hurt us from reaching Him in our lives?[/quote]
Disobediance,Despair,unbelief

Edited by jckinsman

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1747930' date='Jan 10 2009, 12:12 AM']Is this a riddle of some kind?[/quote]
no.

Alright just give me a few moments or minutes.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1747933' date='Jan 10 2009, 12:13 AM']Personally, I'm wondering what happens after we've established "the three things."[/quote]
You know............GAME OVER :reaper: :ninja:

alright fellows, I was responding to another thread. Continue your countdown :) I still need that quote from the Catechism Miss "HisChildForever" wants.

HisChildForever

[quote name='kafka' post='1748016' date='Jan 10 2009, 01:17 AM']alright fellows, I was responding to another thread. Continue your countdown :) I still need that quote from the Catechism Miss "HisChildForever" wants.[/quote]

My name is Erin.

1. Concupiscence (a remnant of original sin)
2. Sinful Society and other sinners
3. Tempations of fallen angels.

Now I have noticed among us Catholics, we tend to place an over-emphasis on the temptations of fallen angels. The truth is God only permits the fallen angels to tempt us on occasion. If God allowed them free reign they would surely overcome us, because angelic nature is more powerful than human nature. Yet this is not the case, Christ is King. Fallen angels are trapped in Time and Place. Some are in Hell and some roam the Earth as a punishment for their mortal sin. God permits them to tempt us for His own glory (too lazy to post Scripture quotes at this point). Generally the more sinful a person or a society is, the more God in His Justice permits fallen angels to tempt them, and have an influence over that particular part of the world (including weather and crops) and other aspects of nature, even human nature itself.

The real problem lies in the first two influences toward sin, namely concupiscence: desire of the lower appetite (flesh) contrary to reason., and sinful society (known in spiritual writings as the world).

flesh, world, fallen angels:

in that order:

The progression is logical.

Concupiscence is the proximate influence toward sin, since they reside within our very beings. We are always with our bodies and passions. 24/7

Sinful society (the world) and other sinners are a more remote influence since we arent always with them.

Fallen Angels are even more remote since we cannot see or sense them and God only permits them to tempt us only on occasion.

I'm sure I have more to say but it is getting late.

Edited by kafka

I've never quite been able to get a handle on how time affects angelic beings. How are beings outside our linear timeline (aka in eternity) able to interact with us?

I know that they do, but I don't understand the mechanics by which they pull it off.

[quote name='sweens8403' post='1748164' date='Jan 10 2009, 12:13 PM']I've never quite been able to get a handle on how time affects angelic beings. How are beings outside our linear timeline (aka in eternity) able to interact with us?

I know that they do, but I don't understand the mechanics by which they pull it off.[/quote]
Angels being creatures, must act, therefore, they must exist within time.

yes, however they do not have the option of repentance like we do. When any of us makes a bad decision we always have the option to change our mind as long as we're alive but angels and demons do not. How does that fit in with all this?

We are as eternal as angels (which is to say, neither we nor they are truly eternal). Our souls will never end, but we have a beginning (the moment of our conception). An angel (or demon) will never end, but they also have a beginning (their creation).

So, I don't know if that will help, but if we can operate in time, so can angels. The main difference between them and us is that they are purely spiritual beings while we are embodied spirits.

Which gets back to this list of three.

Concupiscience doesn't mean that our bodies are evil. Angels fell without them (at least, some did anyway). It is true, though, that original sin means that our wills and our tendencies are not aligned with God - we have all sorts of messed up ideas that pull us in the wrong direction. The Seven Deadly Sins fall into this category, so I think everyone was on track with naming them. Pride should always be named first, becasue it leads to all the others. But Envy is a much closer second than Lust or Anger/Wrath. Which one is worst generally gets back to which one we struggle with the most. Sloth is near the top of my list, but many other people don't find themselves to be as lazy as I am ;).

I don't think anyone mentioned temptations of the devil, and put only a little emphasis on other people; most of us look to ourselves as the root of the problem, though we do recognize that the company we keep can influence us for good or ill, and that temptation is very real (regardless of its source).