An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are The Three Things Which Hinder Our Path To Holiness?

kafka

My three things would be materialism, conceit (lack of humility), and ignorance. Not sure what order I would put them in.

I am not asking in a personal way but in a general way.

Three general things which influence us toward sin, hence away from holiness, and what is there order? Or in other words which one is worse to deal with, or which one is more problem some?

over self rightous attitutes from those who have authority or claim to have authority.

the allurment of what the world has to offer and how it can make one happy.

the loss of faith from the result of the serpent and wicked fallen angels who walk this earth.

(in no particular order)

HisChildForever

[quote name='kafka' post='1747618' date='Jan 9 2009, 07:16 PM']I am not asking in a personal way but in a general way.

Three general things which influence us toward sin, hence away from holiness, and what is there order? Or in other words which one is worse to deal with, or which one is more problem some?[/quote]

Is this in the Catechism?

Anyway my guess is that pride would be the first one.

Lust would be the second.

Edited by HisChildForever

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1747622' date='Jan 9 2009, 07:18 PM']over self rightous attitutes from those who have authority or claim to have authority.

the allurment of what the world has to offer and how it can make one happy.

the loss of faith from the result of the serpent and wicked fallen angels who walk this earth.

(in no particular order)[/quote]
you are on the right track.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1747623' date='Jan 9 2009, 07:19 PM']Is this in the Catechism?[/quote]
of course it is.

Edited by kafka

Yes I would agree with pride and lust, I would have to think that this would be different for all of us depending on our weaknesses huh? So in going with the majority of the mass I guess I would choose from the seven Deadly sins......a third would be??????? Greed.....? Ya .....In order I would say Pride,Lust and Greed.........Its tough though, I have witnessed peoples struggle with sloth envy and anger also. Not just simple forms either,complex and ingrained. Interesting though.

HisChildForever

[quote name='jckinsman' post='1747645' date='Jan 9 2009, 07:33 PM']Yes I would agree with pride and lust, I would have to think that this would be different for all of us depending on our weaknesses huh? So in going with the majority of the mass I guess I would choose from the seven Deadly sins......a third would be??????? Greed.....? Ya .....In order I would say Pride,Lust and Greed.........Its tough though, I have witnessed peoples struggle with sloth envy and anger also. Not just simple forms either,complex and ingrained. Interesting though.[/quote]

I think greed can fit under the umbrella of lust if you look at lust as a deep, immorally twisted desire.

Maybe...pride, lust, anger.

I am referring to something precluding vice. Think of fallen human nature. Human nature is good and in the fullest sense holy, since God created us, and gave us the purpose of knowing and loving Him. But something happened and the result of it hinders us from reaching Him (we have His help and gifts of course but that is another topic).

What are those influences which hinder or hurt us from reaching Him in our lives?

Edited by kafka

[quote name='kafka' post='1747667' date='Jan 9 2009, 08:49 PM']What are those influences which hinder or hurt us from reaching Him in our lives?[/quote]

fallen angels who usher in the mark of the beast and accomany false prophets who set the stage for antichrist to appear and decieve the entire world.

the false church who preaches another Christ and teaches its children they will fly away before the appearance of the antichrist.

members of the true catholic church who are masquarding as apostles of light but are really children of satan. they give off the appeareance of light but for nowonder because even their father satan appears as an angel of light. in the end their fate will be a result of their deeds.

paul refers to them as " superapostles"

Edited by Guest

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1747675' date='Jan 9 2009, 07:56 PM']fallen angels who usher in the mark of the beast and accomany false prophets who set the stage for antichrist to appear and decieve the entire world.

the false church who preaches another Christ and teaches its children they will fly away before the appearance of the antichrist.

members of the true catholic church who are masquarding as apostles of light but are really children of satan. they give off the appeareance of light but for nowonder because even their father satan appears as an angel of light. in the end their fate will be a result of their deeds.

paul refers to them as " superapostles"[/quote]
you are thinking too eschatological, but yes the occasional temptations of fallen angels is the third one (and third in order) I am referring too.

[quote name='kafka' post='1747667' date='Jan 9 2009, 07:49 PM']I am referring to something precluding vice. Think of fallen human nature. Human nature is good and in the fullest sense holy, since God created us, and gave us the purpose of knowing and loving Him. But something happened and the result of it hinders us from reaching Him (we have His help and gifts of course but that is another topic).

What are those influences which hinder or hurt us from reaching Him in our lives?[/quote]

Near occasions of sin.