An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Problem With Food Stamps

Giolla

Ok, So as a Christian I believe that helping the poor is a fantastic idea but as a person who works in a food market I see massive abuse with the food stamps program. Food stamps are able to purchase such items as Pop (or Soda), Candy, and personal food items such as subs and so on. There is a program that helps families called WIC (women infant and children) which gives necessary food items to expecting families. I believe food stamps should be like this instead they give people a credit card with tax dollars on it so they can purchase unnecessary items. These people also have fancy cars, nice clothing, etc. Basically every time someone does this I want to say "you're welcome" I wanted to get other points of view.

[quote name='Giolla' post='1746599' date='Jan 8 2009, 07:10 PM']Ok, So as a Christian I believe that helping the poor is a fantastic idea but as a person who works in a food market I see massive abuse with the food stamps program. Food stamps are able to purchase such items as Pop (or Soda), Candy, and personal food items such as subs and so on. There is a program that helps families called WIC (women infant and children) which gives necessary food items to expecting families. I believe food stamps should be like this instead they give people a credit card with tax dollars on it so they can purchase unnecessary items. These people also have fancy cars, nice clothing, etc. Basically every time someone does this I want to say "you're welcome" I wanted to get other points of view.[/quote]

Pretty much...

A program that helps people that really need it, is often ripe for abuse. That doesn't make it any less necessary. I once had a woman offer me $800 in food stamps at a garage sale for my Fender Stratocaster. She couldn't play it, so I guess it was her way of getting cash by pawning it. I told her she should leave before I wrote her tag number down and reported her.