An Old School Catholic Message Board

Equal But Different.

Hassan

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1744934' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:40 AM']This is what I was going to say.

For example, not everyone has the same vocation ("different") but we all have equal dignity as human beings ("equal").[/quote]
SetA: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
SetB:2,4,6,8,10

Set A is not equal to Set B, but there are subsets amongst these two sets qhich are equal, like "2".

kind of :detective:

You and I are not equal, but we can be equal with respect to shared qualities like "dignity".

[quote name='Hassan' post='1744933' date='Jan 6 2009, 11:39 PM']They aren’t, but you can isolate subsets of qualities like dignity, or “before the law” etc.

I want to mention again saying something is not equal has taken the form of a pejorative, but this is sultural or psychological, not logical. You are not "equal" to me, that is to say you are not identical to me. But that does not mean you are any better or worse than me, are that there arn't subsets of qualities amongst us that arn't equal.[/quote]
When we say that two people are equals, we are referring to equality in human dignity.

There are other aspects besides human dignity in which people are not equals. For example, one person may be stronger than another person. But that is not what is meant by human equality. When the Declaration of Independence declares that "all men are created equal," it is referring to human dignity and human rights, not to strength or similar unequal characteristics.

[quote name='Era Might' post='1744940' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:45 AM']When we say that two people are equals, we are referring to equality in human dignity.

There are other aspects besides human dignity in which people are not equals. For example, one person may be stronger than another person. But that is not what is meant by human equality. When the Declaration of Independence declares that "all men are created equal," it is referring to human dignity and human rights, not to strength or similar unequal characteristics.[/quote]

Sure, that’s what TotusTuasMaria was saying, and it makes perfect sense :topsy:

[quote name='Hassan' post='1744941' date='Jan 6 2009, 11:48 PM']Sure, that’s what TotusTuasMaria was saying, and it makes perfect sense :topsy:[/quote]
Then I guess I don't understand what you're arguing against. :lol:

I had two foster sons. I loved them both equally, but could not treat them the same. One was a chemical exposure child who had socialization issues, coordination issues, and learning disabilities. His personality was such that he could sit in a chair, reading a book without moving for hours at a time. I actually had to teach him how to play with other kids. He would stand across the street watching other kids play, scream to get their attention, and then would run away when they looked at him. He thought if someone got in his face, that they wanted to be friends, and had his feelings hurt when he got hit instead.

The second boy was fetal alcohol. He was hyperactive and never sat still. He did well in school after I got him caught up. He made friends easily, was a natural athlete, but had serious issues with sugar. I went through many activities with the older boy trying to find something that "worked" for him. Boy Scouts ended up being his thing. The younger boy played baseball, and I mean every day. He was on two teams, one of which was a traveling AAU team. The baseball was much more expensive and time consuming. Each got what they needed, and I spent time with each when they needed it, but it was never perfectly equal.

I know that some people think that as a woman, I should be upset at the idea that I can't be a priest or a deacon. My oldest son played two years of little league before he got his first hit. When he got on base by a walk, I had to position myself near 1st base so I could yell at him when to run, because he couldn't figure it out. He was actually quite content to just sit the bench and cheer for the other kids. He was Bobby Hill from King of the Hill. He never felt bad that he couldn't play baseball in highschool. He knew he wasn't born to be a ball player, so he never sweat it. I was never meant to be a pilot. I hate airplanes. I never sweat the fact that I can't be a pilot. Horses scare me, and I am too tall to be a jockey, so I never sweat that either.

There are a lot of things in life that God didn't make me to be, so why would I waste a moment of the precious life I have been given worrying about things I can't be or can't have? When people try to be something they aren't, all it leads to is unhappiness. I have felt most content with my life when I have surrendered to God's will for me rather than fight against it. I don't feel less loved because I was made as a woman, I feel blessed that God loved me enough to make me the way he did.

[quote name='Era Might' post='1744942' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:49 AM']Then I guess I don't understand what you're arguing against. :lol:[/quote]

the statement, taken literally, "equal but different" is just contradictory. I don't know, I'm neurotic about stupid things like this. I assumed there was a deeper idea behind it, but was not sure.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Hassan' post='1744950' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:52 AM']the statement, taken literally, "equal but different" is just contradictory. I don't know, I'm neurotic about stupid things like this. I assumed there was a deeper idea behind it, but was not sure.[/quote]
Not if you define equal as meaning equivalent to.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1744950' date='Jan 6 2009, 11:52 PM']the statement, taken literally, "equal but different" is just contradictory.[/quote]
Even if you look at the phrase "equal but different" from a mathematical perspective, it is not contradictory. If x=1, you can write x as 1, 5/5, 1^-2. All three forms fulfill the definition x=1, but they are formulated differently from each other.

[quote name='Era Might' post='1744958' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:58 AM']Even if you look at the phrase "equal but different" from a mathematical perspective, it is not contradictory. If x=1, you can write x as 1, 5/5, 1^-2. All three forms fulfill the definition x=1, but they are formulated differently from each other.[/quote]

all of those are notational.

5/5=1, all predicates that 5/5 posesses are posessed by 1 and visa versa

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1744953' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:55 AM']Not if you define equal as meaning equivalent to.[/quote]

?

I'm sorry I don't understand

[quote name='Hassan' post='1744961' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:02 AM']all of those are notational.

5/5=1, all predicates that 5/5 posesses are posessed by 1 and visa versa[/quote]
[quote name='Hassan' post='1744963' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:03 AM']?

I'm sorry I don't understand[/quote]
:P

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Hassan' post='1744963' date='Jan 7 2009, 01:03 AM']?

I'm sorry I don't understand[/quote]
THe phrase "equal but different" sounds incorrect if you are using the term "equal' to mean the "same." How if you think of things as being "equivalent" in value, price, quality etc then the phrase "different but equal" is comphrensible.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1744989' date='Jan 7 2009, 01:24 AM']THe phrase "equal but different" sounds incorrect if you are using the term "equal' to mean the "same." How if you think of things as being "equivalent" in value, price, quality etc then the phrase "different but equal" is comphrensible.[/quote]

oh yes, sorry:)