An Old School Catholic Message Board

Did Birth Control Help Or Hurt The Feminist Movement?

jckinsman

HisChildForever

[quote name='Snowflake3981' post='1744890' date='Jan 6 2009, 11:15 PM']or trying to be like men.[/quote]

I constantly hear this phrase. Can you explain what a woman who is "trying to be like men" is like?

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1744937' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:42 AM']I constantly hear this phrase. Can you explain what a woman who is "trying to be like men" is like?[/quote]

I guess trying to imitate qualities the Church assigns to men.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Hassan' post='1744944' date='Jan 6 2009, 11:50 PM']I guess trying to imitate qualities the Church assigns to men.[/quote]

One of those qualities would be leadership. Does this mean a woman should not seek a leadership role in, for example, her profession?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1744949' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:52 AM']One of those qualities would be leadership. Does this mean a woman should not seek a leadership role in, for example, her profession?[/quote]
Do you think an Abbess or Mother Superior doesn't have leadership skills?

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1744949' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:52 AM']One of those qualities would be leadership. Does this mean a woman should not seek a leadership role in, for example, her profession?[/quote]

St. Paul says women should not authority over men and the Church, being a patriarchal structure seems to follow this. Also in Christendom's history these seems to have been the norm, but I don't know much about history. I’m sure Totus Tous Maria could give a much more nuanced and intelligent answer.

So…I ono….that’s what one should take from this :detective:

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1744955' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:57 AM']Do you think an Abbess or Mother Superior doesn't have leadership skills?[/quote]

Well, as I recall from reading the Bible, St. Paul doesn't condemn women having authority at all, but simply having authority over men. I don't think that would come up in a convent.

OHHH!

Hey, I just remembered. Have you ever been to the Passionist Convent in Pittsburgh?

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1744937' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:42 AM']I constantly hear this phrase. Can you explain what a woman who is "trying to be like men" is like?[/quote]

A woman who tries to be like a man...

A woman who spurns her feminity. She seeks the roles of a man. She tries to be like a man in her behavior and her way of viewing things. She just does away with anything that is feminine with in her. She views it as weak. She tries to become like a man.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Hassan' post='1744959' date='Jan 7 2009, 01:00 AM']Well, as I recall from reading the Bible, St. Paul doesn't condemn women having authority at all, but simply having authority over men. I don't think that would come up in a convent.

OHHH!

Hey, I just remembered. Have you ever been to the Passionist Convent in Pittsburgh?[/quote]
I did go to adoration once at a church with an order of enclosed nuns, but I can't remember the name of it.

TotusTuusMaria

You totally said that one yourself. No one said leadership. You supplied it matter-of-factly and then you questioned it.

No one said leadership. It wasn't what was meant.

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1744864' date='Jan 6 2009, 11:48 PM']birth control has not helped anyone...

...ironically, it has given birth to all the ills of society and how men and women view each other....[/quote]

That is correct. That is what I was getting at in a round about way.

HisChildForever

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1744969' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:09 AM']A woman who tries to be like a man...

A woman who spurns her feminity. She seeks the roles of a man. She tries to be like a man in her behavior and her way of viewing things. She just does away with anything that is feminine with in her. She views it as weak. She tries to become like a man.[/quote]

Can you be specific, please? What constitutes a man's behavior and his way of viewing things?

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1744972' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:12 AM']You totally said that one yourself. No one said leadership. You supplied it matter-of-factly and then you questioned it.

No one said leadership. It wasn't what was meant.[/quote]

Er, I know no one said leadership? Hassan answered my question and said he assumed "trying to be like a man" meant "trying to take on what the Church teaches to be male qualities" and one of those qualities [i]is[/i] leadership. I was answering Hassan, not the poster I originally quoted.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1744976' date='Jan 7 2009, 01:16 AM']Can you be specific, please? What constitutes a man's behavior and his way of viewing things?[/quote]

What do you think constitutes a mans way of viewing things?

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1744976' date='Jan 7 2009, 01:16 AM']Er, I know no one said leadership? Hassan answered my question and said he assumed "trying to be like a man" meant "trying to take on what the Church teaches to be male qualities" and one of those qualities [i]is[/i] leadership. I was answering Hassan, not the poster I originally quoted.[/quote]

yes, but I don't know what I'm talking about :detective:

lol, but to be serious I was just guessing. I thought I made that clear but if not I am sorry. As I said TTM knows so much more about this than I do and I'd always wait her her to put in her 2 cents if I were you.