An Old School Catholic Message Board

U S Healthcare Needs Fixed!

add

Catherine,

Perhaps you shouldn't have given the example you gave, because it left the impression that people simply expect the government to take care of ill children.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1742321' date='Jan 3 2009, 10:02 PM']As long as you can afford to pay for it...[/quote]

I just don’t think things are that bad or as the saying goes “don’t throw the baby out with the bath water”, that’s all

[quote name='apparently' post='1742366' date='Jan 3 2009, 07:43 PM']I just don’t think things are that bad or as the saying goes “don’t throw the baby out with the bath water”, that’s all[/quote]
I agree. Federalization of the health care system would lead to an inordinate increase in government bureaucracy, while also being contrary to the principle of subsidiarity.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='apparently' post='1742366' date='Jan 3 2009, 10:43 PM']I just don’t think things are that bad or as the saying goes “don’t throw the baby out with the bath water”, that’s all[/quote]
Really? Did you read the examples I gave? Do you think people should have to declare bankruptcy, or spend many years paying bills or have to choose between medicine and food????

I guess we grew up in different cultures. My parents and grandparents never accepted assistance from the government, and only sought out help from the Church if they really could not find any other way to help themselves. They never expected others to pay their way in life, and that is how I was raised. I have gone through very hard times in my life, but I always worked my way through them, and on occasion received help from my family, that is, when they had the ability to help. Perhaps this is not a good way to live in your view, but I respect my parents, grandparents, and siblings, who have always supported themselves through good times and bad.

It’s not perfect but, it is this best the world has ever known. Poor people are cared for too. The notion that uninsured are thrown out in the street is idiotic.

How can the government sustain the burden of bailing out the banks, car manufactures, newspapers, health care, anything and everything, or provide free college (that's next), you might as well provide free food, using the same logic because no one should go hungry...

[quote name='apparently' post='1742387' date='Jan 3 2009, 07:58 PM']It’s not perfect but, it is this best the world has ever known. Poor people are cared for too. The notion that uninsured are thrown out in the street is idiotic.[/quote]
They certainly aren't thrown out in California.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='apparently' post='1742387' date='Jan 3 2009, 10:58 PM']It’s not perfect but, it is this best the world has ever known. Poor people are cared for too. The notion that uninsured are thrown out in the street is idiotic.[/quote]

Really? You obviously have no clue, do you...
Hospitals routinely discharge people including children when their insurance runs out. They are told to come back if they can arrange coverage.
If you are on medicare/medicaid you have coverage. But if you have a job and have no insurance [ the working poor -47 MILLION ] one accident or one illness can lead to bankruptcy and ruin. People are choosing between food and co-pays or food and their medicine. Pepole are letting their teeth rot in their mouth because the have NO insurance.

In California there are county run hospitals, and if a person has no insurance they are transferred there if the initial treatment was done at a private hospital or are simply admitted to the county hospital if that is where their initial treatment was done.

Edited by Apotheoun

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1742403' date='Jan 3 2009, 11:08 PM']In California there are county run hospitals, and if a person has no insurance they are transferred there if the initial treatment was done at a private hospital or are simply admitted to the county hospital if that is where their initial treatment was done.[/quote]
Which is fine if you live in California. We don't have that here.

Is this the same California that had an investigation of hospitals discharging poor patients onto the street?

[url="http://articles.latimes.com/2007/feb/22/local/me-dumping22"]SOURCE[/url]

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1742405' date='Jan 3 2009, 08:10 PM']Which is fine if you live in California. We don't have that here.[/quote]
Then work for it locally. A federal take over of the medical system nationally is contrary to the Catholic principle of subsidiary function.

Edited by Apotheoun

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1742413' date='Jan 3 2009, 11:18 PM']Then work for it locally. A federal take over of the medical system nationally is contrary to the Catholic principle of subsidiary function.[/quote]
Catholic Charities estimates there are 70,000 uninsured people within 10 miles of the clinic.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1742418' date='Jan 3 2009, 08:22 PM']Catholic Charities estimates there are 70,000 uninsured people within 10 miles of the clinic.[/quote]
All the more reason for you (and other Catholics in your state) to work for a solution that is in line with Catholic doctrine.

Lounge Daddy

The unfortunate misunderstanding is the thinking that government can produce something. It cannot. Government doesn't produce--it only forces others through enslavement and coercion and threat of deadly force. Government is only force.

Government is not reason and not something that can produce a product. It is only force and coercion. Which is why our Founding Fathers looked at the Federal Government primarily for defense, and not much more than that.

Government will enslave the news media because, as scripture says, the borrower is a slave to the lender.

As for health care, government cannot produce health care. Government can only bend the industries, including the health care industry, to the will of the State. To quote George Washington, government "is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

One consequence is this: If the FOCA doesn't force Catholic health institutions into providing abortions and euthanasia, then Nationalizing the health care system in the name of "universal health care" will.

And the government-run news media will praise it.