An Old School Catholic Message Board

U S Healthcare Needs Fixed!

add

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1742196' date='Jan 3 2009, 08:31 PM']Well the insurance companies are already doing that, so what else is new.[/quote]

lol, I had the exact same thought.

[quote]People should not lose every penny they have or spend the rest of their lives paying medical bills when their children get sick. Up until the "housing crisis" most people filed for bankruptcy because of medical bills.[/quote]

exactly.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1742196' date='Jan 3 2009, 05:31 PM']Well the insurance companies are already doing that, so what else is new. People should not lose every penny they have or spend the rest of their lives paying medical bills when their children get sick. Up until the "housing crisis" most people filed for bankruptcy because of medical bills.[/quote]

I have a very dear friend who lost everything he owns and is still in deep debt because he had a brain tumor.

The sad thing is, he had health insurance, but when he got sick, he couldn't work, so his insurance was cancelled.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1742196' date='Jan 3 2009, 05:31 PM']Well the insurance companies are already doing that, so what else is new. People should not lose every penny they have or spend the rest of their lives paying medical bills when their children get sick. Up until the "housing crisis" most people filed for bankruptcy because of medical bills.[/quote]
In a society that is embracing euthanasia at break neck speed with the full endorsement of government officials, I do not want the federal government in control of the medical system.

Saint Therese

Costs would be reduced immeasurably if 1-the gov't got out of health care and 2-there were stricter regulatins in the insurance industyr

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1742203' date='Jan 3 2009, 08:35 PM']I have a very dear friend who lost everything he owns and is still in deep debt because he had a brain tumor.

The sad thing is, he had health insurance, but when he got sick, he couldn't work, so his insurance was cancelled.[/quote]

that's sick. I know some, kind of a "father figure" who is dying of brain cancer now. I hope at least his wife and child arn't beaten down with debt.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1742205' date='Jan 3 2009, 08:36 PM']Costs would be reduced immeasurably if 1-the gov't got out of health care and 2-there were stricter regulatins in the insurance industyr[/quote]

How would (1) come about?

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1742203' date='Jan 3 2009, 05:35 PM']The sad thing is, he had health insurance, but when he got sick, he couldn't work, so his insurance was cancelled.[/quote]
I used to work for an insurance company, and an illness or other event that occurred during the time of policy coverage remained covered even after the policy ended.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1742204' date='Jan 3 2009, 08:36 PM']In a society that is embracing euthanasia at break neck speed with the full endorsement of government officials, I do not want the federal government in control of the medical system.[/quote]

[img]http://musingsandmutterings.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/red_herring2.gif[/img]

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1742203' date='Jan 3 2009, 05:35 PM']The sad thing is, he had health insurance, but when he got sick, he couldn't work, so his insurance was cancelled.[/quote]
When I broke my back and was paralyzed for eight months in 1987 I received no income from my employer, but a portion of my income during the time of my employment -- like that of everyone else in the state of California -- had been paid into the state disability fund, and so I continued to receive my income during the time I was unable to work.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1742211' date='Jan 3 2009, 05:41 PM'][img]http://musingsandmutterings.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/red_herring2.gif[/img][/quote]
Lovely picture, but my comments are not a "red herring"; because any federal take over of the health care system will involve rationing of health care, and so someone like my mother, who has emphysema and is 71 years old, will not be high on the list of individuals to get treatment, since she is no longer a "productive" asset to society.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1742217' date='Jan 3 2009, 08:44 PM']Lovely picture, but my comments are not a "red herring"; because any federal take over of the health care system will involve rationing of health care, and so someone like my mother, who has emphysema and is 71 years old, will not be high on the list of individuals to get treatment, since she is no longer a "productive" asset to society.[/quote]

That is not euthanasia. If your problem is the consequences of an increasingly utilitarian view of the human persona in combination with “rationing” of health care by the government then just say so. There is no need dragging in the matter of if an individual has a right to end their life if they so choose.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1742221' date='Jan 3 2009, 05:48 PM']That is not euthanasia. If your problem is the consequences of an increasingly utilitarian view of the human persona in combination with “rationing” of health care by the government then just say so. There is no need dragging in the matter of if an individual has a right to end their life if they so choose.[/quote]
It most certainly is euthanasia, because if treatment could save my mothers life and it is refused to her, it is a death sentence.

Sometimes I wonder if you even know how to read.

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='Hassan' post='1742221' date='Jan 3 2009, 05:48 PM']There is no need dragging in the matter of if an individual has a right to end their life if they so choose.[/quote]
Depending upon the case, euthanasia can be either suicide or murder.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1742222' date='Jan 3 2009, 08:49 PM']It most certainly is euthanasia, because if treatment could save my mothers life and it is refused to her, it is a death sentence.[/quote]

"the act or practice of killing or permitting the death of hopelessly sick or injured individuals (as persons or domestic animals) in a relatively painless way for reasons of mercy"

Your scenario is the government denying your mother health care coverage because she is not deemed viable or capable of contributing to society in a productive matter.
1-This assumes that the government would also actively prevent her from paying for her own health care that is refusing her the ability to seek health care.
2-It is still not euthanasia. It is not a "mercy killing" the end of the state is to conserve resources. If simply refusing to cover medical coverage regardless of the "rhyme or reason" is euthanasia then there is a great deal of legal euthanasia already present in the US

[quote]Sometimes I wonder if you even know how to read.[/quote]

Then you probably should not try to communicate this concern to me in writing.

Edited by Hassan

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1742224' date='Jan 3 2009, 08:51 PM']Depending upon the case, euthanasia can be either suicide or murder.[/quote]

When the end of the murder or suicide is a "mercy killing" or "dying with dignity" etc.