An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fresco Of Female Priests?

mortify

What do you see?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1741253' date='Jan 2 2009, 12:33 AM']That is interesting to think about. Like CatherineM said, she wouldn't need to, even if God were ok with her doing so (which..might be a "no," considering she's not a man). She bore the Word made Flesh, served as the living tabernacle, and "found favor [totally] with God," so really, I don't think she could be much more united to the Blessed than she already was, ya know? Man, what an awesome feast we celebrate(d) today/yesterday [Jan 1]!

+JMJD[/quote]
Speaking of the feast day... I'm actually ridiculously annoyed that I was forced to miss it! :annoyed:
My parents forgot about it, and by the time I had brought it up, thinking we were probably going to be late, it turned out that it was too late to be ready to go.
So I missed it. :huh:
I was actually really really looking forward to going an extra time this week.

The Catholic Encylcopedia has an entry on this: [url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06165a.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06165a.htm[/url]

If I recall correctly this fresco is above what they believe to be an ancient altar. It's the only fresco where a woman is shown veiled, while other meal scenes have them unveiled. The presider at the end of the table has a beard and is breaking bread, in front of him a chalice. Their also appears fish which would represent Christ.

The article goes into greater detail.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1741584' date='Jan 2 2009, 02:00 PM']Wait a sec... they all look like women...

ONLY women should be priests![/quote]
Uh oh! :unsure: We've got it all wrong guys! The priesthood is for *women* only, not men only.
Also the Pope must be elected by atheists and pagans, not cardinals.
Wow, it makes so much sense in hindsight. Live and learn I suppose. :lol_roll: ;)

Vincent Vega

"Does this fresco support the historical existence of female priests?"
No more than it supports the historical existence of Huttese priests. (See second from left).
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/8/82/Durga.jpg[/img]

Was this fresco commissioned by the church? Please pardon my ignorance of art history.

Why would scholars consider a painter a reliable source of early church history anyway? Maybe he was upset that there weren't priestesses and did the painting as a form of protest.

Seems to me that proponents of female priests are just grasping for anything to justify their claims.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='sweens8403' post='1742724' date='Jan 4 2009, 02:09 PM']Seems to me that proponents of female priests are just grasping for anything to justify their claims.[/quote]

my thoughts exactly.