An Old School Catholic Message Board

What If The World Didn't Need A Messiah?

tinytherese

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1740639' date='Jan 1 2009, 05:19 PM']Nevertheless, one can speak of the human nature assumed by the Logos as taking on eternity, because it is actualized by the eternal act of being of the Logos and so it is permeated with divine energy.[/quote]

Yes! I knew I was right! :)

Just kidding... that sounds similar to the Immaculate Conception being a fruit of grace from the eternal sacrifice of the Cross being applied to Mary at an earlier point in time. So, even though Christ does not assume a human nature until the Anunciation, does that also apply to all points in time, so that Christ also shares both natures at the Creation?

Which would mean I'm sorta right, but not for the right reason. :)

LouisvilleFan

Maybe Desmond can weigh in on this? Whether my opinion was right or not, I am curious to know what the truth is. After all, I'm sure it has some significant implications elsewhere in theology as so many heresies seem to be rooted in a false understanding of the Trinity.

Here is what St. John Damascene says about the incarnation:

[size=3]For the Word Himself became flesh, having been in truth conceived of the Virgin, but coming forth as God with the assumed nature which, as soon as He was brought forth into being, was deified by Him, so that these three things took place simultaneously, the assumption of our nature, the coming into being, and the deification of the assumed nature by the Word. And thus it is that the holy Virgin is thought of and spoken of as the Mother of God, not only because of the nature of the Word, but also because of the deification of man's nature, the miracles of conception and of existence being wrought together, to wit, the conception the Word, and the existence of the flesh in the Word Himself. For the very Mother of God in some marvelous manner was the means of fashioning the Framer of all things and of bestowing manhood on the God and Creator of all, Who deified the nature that He assumed, while the union preserved those things that were united just as they were united, that is to say, not only the divine nature of Christ but also His human nature, not only that which is above us but that which is of us. For He was not first made like us and only later became higher than us, but ever from His first coming into being He existed with the double nature, because He existed in the Word Himself from the beginning of the conception.[/size]

LouisvilleFan

That seems to answer it... I also noticed in the Liturgy of the Hours for Dec 29th (I fell behind a bit) a sermon by St. Bernard that closes, "Truly great and manifest are the goodness and humanity of God. He has given us a most wonderful proof of his goodness by adding humanity to his own divine nature."