An Old School Catholic Message Board

What If The World Didn't Need A Messiah?

tinytherese

So I was watching an episode of Fr. Benedict Groechel Live on EWTN when he mentioned this one theory. He said that according to a franciscan belief, if sin wasn't brought into the world and we didn't need a Messiah then Jesus still would have come but as a king instead of a savior. What does the family think of this? I really don't know. :unsure: Thought that it would be an interesting topic for the debate table.

I asked my dad once what would have happened it the Jews had accepted Jesus, chosen him over Barbabas. My dad said he would have lived a long life, taught many disciples, and died in a warm bed.

If the world did not need a messiah then we have travelled back a long way back in salvation history.

edit: someday I will learn to type

Edited by Mercy me

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1737423' date='Dec 29 2008, 12:49 AM']So I was watching an episode of Fr. Benedict Groechel Live on EWTN when he mentioned this one theory. He said that according to a franciscan belief, if sin wasn't brought into the world and we didn't need a Messiah then Jesus still would have come but as a king instead of a savior. What does the family think of this? I really don't know. :unsure: Thought that it would be an interesting topic for the debate table.[/quote]

Yeah, I learned a little about Franciscan Christology at a retreat several years ago. This question of whether Jesus would have come to earth and what his reign would look like if the Fall of Adam and Eve had never occured is something the Franciscans and Dominicans used to debate back in the Middle Ages. Obviously the Franciscans believed God would have still taken on flesh in Jesus and come to earth. I suppose he would have either ascended into heaven without suffering and dying or remained on earth forever. I think the Dominicans believed Jesus would not have come to earth. This is one of those areas of theology that's open to speculation, and even though we can't answer the question definitively, I think it helps us understand Jesus' role in our fallen world.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1737432' date='Dec 29 2008, 12:56 AM']I asked my dad once what would have happened it the Jews had accepted Jesus, chosen him over Barbabas. My dad said he would have lived a long life, taught many disciples, and died in a warm bed.[/quote]

Of course, it's an impossible scenario. Since the Fall, we were destined to reject Christ when he came into our world. Fortunately, through this second rebellion against God we gained our salvation.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1737495' date='Dec 29 2008, 02:32 AM']If you believe that he was truly human, then he would have had to die at some point.[/quote]

Surprised you didn't catch yourself on this one... death is the result of sin. Mary was truly human, never sinned, and never died. Jesus was fully human, never sinned, but died for our sin. We need to be careful about falling into the common trap of correlating humanity with sin. We were created with the highest dignity in God's image. "Being human" or "only human" doesn't mean making mistakes or sinning; it really means we are visible images of the invisible God.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1737495' date='Dec 29 2008, 02:32 AM']If you believe that he was truly human, then he would have had to die at some point.[/quote]

I still don't He would have died like that, if the jews or anyone else did not have Him put on the Cross.

1 He would have been taken into heaven, like great prophets before Him, but He would have taken Himself into heaven. 2 If He had a glorified body He would not die. 3. If Adam and Eve did not fall there would be no death.

Edited by KnightofChrist

KnightofChrist

But I do agree that He would have likely lived a long life (if not killed by Pagans/Romans), and He would have taught many more disciples.

How long did Adam and Eve live on earth until the fall? A few days? A few centuries?

If not for the fall, wouldn't they have endured the harshness of heaven on earth indefinately all by themselves and none of us would have come into being?

Galloglasses' Alt

[quote name='Didacus' post='1737628' date='Dec 29 2008, 10:35 AM']How long did Adam and Eve live on earth until the fall? A few days? A few centuries?

If not for the fall, wouldn't they have endured the harshness of heaven on earth indefinately all by themselves and none of us would have come into being?[/quote]
I'm pretty sure they'd have children eventually.

I tend to think He wouldn't have come if it weren't for our sins. I think one of the beautiful things about the incarnation is that God used something terrible - sin - as an occasion to do something wonderful. If you believe that He would have come either way, then that's no longer true.

It's sort of the same thing with the Jews accepting Jesus. God used this bad situation to carry out the ultimate, and very necessary, sacrifice of His lamb. If they had accepted Jesus and he lived a long life, dying quietly, there would be no sacrifice, and no salvation!

I think it's interesting to consider whether Adam and Eve would have had children. I mean, it seems obvious that they would, but if no one ever died, they would have to stop eventually or the world would run out of space to hold them all...or what if they had had children before the fall, and then there were the kids who inherited original sin and the prior ones who didn't?? I think that would be an interesting book plot. :)

I thought about this a bit today and I have come to a conclusion that yes if Adam had not sinned the Son of God would still have become a man.

Now I think the interesting question is why? Or for what purpose? I think the answer is simple. In fact so simple it is seemingly elusive (and different or perhaps more than Christ being King). Does anyone have any idea?

I do, yet I need a little time to formulate my own answer. . .

Til then what are your ideas?

LouisvilleFan

Well, we know some things for sure: Jesus is eternal, so there's no question about his existence. Therefore, it stands to reason he probably would come to earth, so the more pertinent question may be the nature of his mission on earth.

A few thoughts I have: Marriage as an institution would be unnecessary as husbands and wives would by naturally inclined to permanent, open, monogamous, life-giving relationships. If Jesus was born of Mary, the Immaculate Conception is unnecessary, and obviously the world would fully accept and embrace Jesus and everything he taught. While the Church would be unnecessary since there would be no sinners, would we still receive the Eucharist? That's an interesting question.

Regardless, this world would still pass away eventually and Christ would return to establish the new heavens and new earth as prophesied in Revelation. That's when marital relations and child bearing would cease, just as Jesus has revealed to us.