An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lifeteen Founder Excommunicated

HisChildForever

HisChildForever

Link: [url="http://www.diocesephoenix.org/main.html"]http://www.diocesephoenix.org/main.html[/url]

STATEMENT OF THE DIOCESE OF PHOENIX
Re: The excommunication of Dale Fushek and Mark Dippre

December 15, 2008-The Most Rev. Thomas J. Olmsted, Bishop of Phoenix, has issued a Decree of Excommunication to Reverend Monsignor Dale Fushek and Reverend Mark Dippre.

Fushek and Dippre have incurred the censure of excommunication because they have chosen to be in schism with the Catholic Church by establishing and leading an opposing ecclesial community known to the public as the Praise and Worship Center. Both priests have consistently refused to comply with explicit directions by Bishop Olmsted to discontinue engaging in public ministry. The excommunications were incurred after repeated offers of reconciliation were ignored. The decree of excommunication by Bishop Olmsted declares the censure that Fushek and Dippre, as ordained priests, have brought upon themselves. The purpose of these sanctions is to reconcile both men with the Catholic Church and to preserve the integrity and unity of the Diocese.

As excommunicated priests, Fushek and Dippre cannot participate in the celebration of the sacrifice of the Holy Eucharist or in any other ceremonies of worship. They are also prohibited from celebrating or receiving any of the sacraments. In addition, they forfeit the benefits of dignity, office, or any function that they had previously acquired in the Catholic Church.

Bishop Olmsted continues to express his grave concern for Catholics who may be misled or confused by the actions of Dale Fushek and Mark Dippre. The Diocese of Phoenix does not endorse the actions of these excommunicated priests and we encourage Catholics to refrain from attending or supporting the Praise and Worship Center.

We remind Catholics that the ultimate form of praise and worship is and always will be the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, and we urge them to keep the Mass as the center of their lives. There is no substitution for the graces received at Mass and no prayer more edifying.

princessgianna

Wow that is weird. I mean they start a cool program like Life teen but then they cross the line and start this praise and worship center. :mellow: I mean that is just weird!!!
Pax~

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1731987' date='Dec 19 2008, 01:45 PM']+J.M.J.+
now the fourth thread on this :mellow:[/quote]

And I thought this was just the fourth time it happened.

We can make a phatmass pool on which of the four will be ressurected first?
(we wilol have to define what 'thread ressurection' means though)

*smirk*

Edited by Didacus

Yay! In a sense at least. Anyone who does anything that isn't Catholic, even though they are Catholic needs to be dealt with swiftly. Before they start dragging more people down with them. In other words, sometimes harsh judgment must happen. I don't know much about lifeteen, but they sounded like they got what they deserved.

the lords sheep

[quote name='HolyPhoenix' post='1732068' date='Dec 19 2008, 10:14 PM']Yay! In a sense at least. Anyone who does anything that isn't Catholic, even though they are Catholic needs to be dealt with swiftly. Before they start dragging more people down with them. In other words, sometimes harsh judgment must happen. I don't know much about lifeteen, but they sounded like they got what they deserved.[/quote]

Wow....
Your comment shows you don't know much about lifeteen at all.
Lifeteen was founded by Fr. Fushek, but he was released from the board more than four years ago when he began to display signs of infidelity. The Lifeteen movement (which of course still has its problems) has repeatedly professed (and lived!) fidelity to the Holy Father and the Magisterium of the Catholic Church. It is a movement centered on bringing teenagers into a deeper relationship with Christ, especially in the Eucharist.
While it has it's flaws (as do many movements in the Church), that does not make it inherently bad nor does it merit your above remark.

To add to Monsignor's problems, wasn't he accused of child molestation and removed from active ministry for that reason? Supposedly that's how they usually do it - they start a youth ministry like Lifeteen so that they can have greater access to victims :sadder:

[quote name='Maggie' post='1732121' date='Dec 19 2008, 04:09 PM']To add to Monsignor's problems, wasn't he accused of child molestation and removed from active ministry for that reason? Supposedly that's how they usually do it - they start a youth ministry like Lifeteen so that they can have greater access to victims :sadder:[/quote]

Accusations don't necessarily mean anything. He was my pastor, and I can tell you this much, the person who filed the charges claimed to have "repressed memories" (which, as a student of Psychology, I can tell you is bogus) and he filed claims against 6, count them, 6 separate defendants, some of them were dropped immediately because they couldn't hold water in court. I'm not saying that he's innocent, that's between him, the accuser and God, but I definitely got the sense that the accuser was fishing for some pay-offs.

[quote name='Didacus' post='1732059' date='Dec 19 2008, 03:02 PM']Are you being hypocritical again?[/quote]
I am not being falsely pious, no.

[quote name='afrojohn' post='1732146' date='Dec 19 2008, 05:41 PM']Accusations don't necessarily mean anything. He was my pastor, and I can tell you this much, the person who filed the charges claimed to have "repressed memories" (which, as a student of Psychology, I can tell you is bogus) and he filed claims against 6, count them, 6 separate defendants, some of them were dropped immediately because they couldn't hold water in court. I'm not saying that he's innocent, that's between him, the accuser and God, but I definitely got the sense that the accuser was fishing for some pay-offs.[/quote]

I had gathered something like that. It is scary that people can be destroyed by false allegations. Once the allegations are out there is always doubt that remains even if that person is innocent.

I am sorry to hear that Msgr. has been excommunicated. I will pray for him.

JMJT
:(

Prayers to these two men. May Our Lady Help of Christians aid them back to the Church again.

I went to the "Praise and Worship Center" website ... and I truly feel like these men need our prayers ... like anyone who leaves the Church!!!

Here's a letter from Randy Raus, who is the chair of LifeTeen. He wrote very well on the matter!!!

REGARDING THE EXCOMMUNICATION OF MSGR. DALE FUSHEK
By Randy Raus, President and CEO
12/16/2008
Dear Friends in Ministry,

I pray this letter finds you well. Thanks for all you do for teens.

I am writing to let you know some sad news. The Most Rev. Thomas J. Olmsted, Bishop of Phoenix, has issued a Decree of Excommunication to one of the Life Teen founders – Reverend Monsignor Dale Fushek. He incurred the censure of excommunication because he has chosen to be in schism with the Catholic Church by establishing and leading an opposing ecclesial community known to the public as the Praise and Worship Center.

This excommunication is not connected in any way with the ministry of Life Teen, as all of the actions that led to this occurred after Rev. Dale Fushek’s involvement with our ministry. Further, I want to make it clear that Life Teen is in no way associated with his new venture.

Even though it has been almost four years since he has been directly involved with the movement of Life Teen, the media continues to associate Rev. Dale Fushek with Life Teen. While we continue to pray for Rev. Dale Fushek, the movement of Life Teen is in full support of Bishop Olmsted and Diocese of Phoenix in this matter.

Life Teen continues to faithfully and enthusiastically serve the Roman Catholic Church in complete obedience to the Magisterium and strict fidelity to Church teachings.

Our 2009 theme for Life Teen is “Heroic Virtue.” With the focus of living the virtues, through the intercession of our Blessed Mother Mary, we continue to pray for your ministry with teens. Likewise, we pray for all who played a part in our movement over the past two decades. We wish to thank all our Life Teen family from around the world who continue to support our mission of leading teenagers and their families closer to Christ in communion with the Roman Catholic Church.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. May we all stay focused on the mission of leading teens closer to Christ!

Peace,

Randy Raus
Life Teen President / CEO
rraus@lifeteen.com
678-761-5777

Edited by melporcristo