An Old School Catholic Message Board

Greed And Avarice - Evil?

Guest greenangel

Greed and avarice - evil?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think people are finally starting to realize how materialism has affected our society because of the financial crisis. St. Paul said that money was the root of all evil. He knew what he was talking about.

I read something interesting about credit. When you take $10,000 and put it in the bank, the bank then lends it out to someone to buy a house. You have $10,000 in asset in the bank, and the homeowner has $10,000 asset in the house. Credit basically creates $20,000 out of $10,000. When something happens to pull out the rug, that "created" money basically disappears.

I think greed and avarice can lead to evil, especially if material goods or personal enjoyment becomes the main focus above all else. My mom likes to say, "pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered"....in other words, don't be greedy.

Guest greenangel

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1730742' date='Dec 17 2008, 08:02 PM']I think people are finally starting to realize how materialism has affected our society because of the financial crisis. St. Paul said that money was the root of all evil. He knew what he was talking about.

I read something interesting about credit. When you take $10,000 and put it in the bank, the bank then lends it out to someone to buy a house. You have $10,000 in asset in the bank, and the homeowner has $10,000 asset in the house. Credit basically creates $20,000 out of $10,000. When something happens to pull out the rug, that "created" money basically disappears.[/quote]

the money needed. to buy a house. to feed a family. to survive

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1730742' date='Dec 17 2008, 05:02 PM']I think people are finally starting to realize how materialism has affected our society because of the financial crisis. St. Paul said that money was the root of all evil. He knew what he was talking about.

I read something interesting about credit. When you take $10,000 and put it in the bank, the bank then lends it out to someone to buy a house. You have $10,000 in asset in the bank, and the homeowner has $10,000 asset in the house. Credit basically creates $20,000 out of $10,000. When something happens to pull out the rug, that "created" money basically disappears.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i thought he said "the love of money" was the root of all evil. :unsure:

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1731468' date='Dec 18 2008, 04:16 PM']+J.M.J.+
i thought he said "the love of money" was the root of all evil. :unsure:[/quote]

I paraphrased. At least I didn't try to make a joke that fell on its face by quoting the Protestant version of the 10 commandments. I've got to work on my material.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1731548' date='Dec 18 2008, 04:03 PM']I paraphrased. At least I didn't try to make a joke that fell on its face by quoting the Protestant version of the 10 commandments. I've got to work on my material.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
:lol: Catherine, you're the best :blowkiss:

Guest greenangel

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1731548' date='Dec 18 2008, 06:03 PM']I paraphrased. At least I didn't try to make a joke that fell on its face by quoting the Protestant version of the 10 commandments. I've got to work on my material.[/quote]
What do you think about this book (Neale Donald Walsch - Conversations With God)?

[quote name='greenangel' post='1731870' date='Dec 19 2008, 03:49 AM']What do you think about this book (Neale Donald Walsch - Conversations With God)?[/quote]

Haven't read it. I get kept pretty busy trying to keep up reading my textbooks.

How could greed or avarice possibly be construed as [i]good[/i]? This isn't even a question in my mind. A kid who tries to get the biggest cookie (or the most cookies) is going to disregard all the other kids, maybe push and shove - [i]certainly[/i] not be an example of Christian charity! That is what it comes down to - will being greedy help us love our neighbor? The answer to that is a big fat [i]NO[/i].

As for the comment about the money in the bank being used to give someone a loan to buy a house....haven't you seen [i]It's a Wonderful Life[/i]? The Savings and Loan was a way for people to (indirectly) help their neighbor.

The current financial crisis is more a result of people taking risks with other people's money...and then passing off the loss to someone else. A milder form of [i]stealing[/i], not a typical bank loan - and certainly motivated by a greed to get rich quick. That, and people spending money they didn't have to try to buy things they couldn't afford.

Edited by MithLuin