An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gov. Patterson Proposes Obesity Tax

Lil Red

[quote name='Winchester' post='1733495' date='Dec 21 2008, 10:35 PM']They came first for the homosexuals. I said nothing, because I am a conservative and not a homosexual.

Then they came for the liberals. I said nothing, because I am a conservative and not a liberal.

Then they came for me. And I shot them. Because I am a conservative, and I own a gun.[/quote]

Haha that's great. I might have to steal it for later use.

[quote name='track2004' post='1733260' date='Dec 21 2008, 06:45 PM']People who have unprotected sex are at risk for HIV, not just homosexuals.

Also, let's go with your argument, just for fun. If they guys weren't actually having sex then they wouldn't be at risk, so no tax. You can just not eat junk food and, hey!, you won't get taxed either. They are taxing it because it is something you can opt not to buy AND it's bad for you. With your argument condoms shouldn't be taxed because they protect against HIV, so are thus good for people.[/quote]
It is an interesting fact, though, how many liberals have no problem with government stepping in regulating, taxing or banning things deemed unhealthy or unsafe - tobacco products, fatty foods, sugary soft drinks, etc., or enforcing helmet, seatbelt, or gun safety lock laws - yet if anyone dare suggests that the government say anything concerning unhealthy practices like sodomy or promiscuous sex, they howl.
As witnessed by the spread of AIDS and other vds, these practices are not safe or healthy on a purely physical level, yet it is politically taboo to so much as utter a word against them.

And I really don't think there's any coherent argument to be made that engaging in sodomistic practices is any more of a sacrosanct right than enjoying a cigar or a big greasy cheeseburger.

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='jkaands' post='1733178' date='Dec 21 2008, 03:23 PM']There's a tax on liquor and cigarettes. In many states, there are no taxes on essential foodstuffs.

I agree that sodas, candy, chips and non-essential foodstuffs should be taxed.

Obesity in this country is akin to cigarettes, alcohol and HIV in its causal relationship to devastating diseases,, which will soon make available health care out of reach for most Americans and businesses. Taxing high-calorie snack foods is one way of making them less attractive, and generating the means to pay for the health care to treat the diseases that these foods produce.[/quote]

Right, just like they did with the tobacco settlement and taxes. Thats right all that tobacco settlement money has ended up in the general funds and is not being used for anti-tobacco education or medical care.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1733182' date='Dec 21 2008, 01:31 PM']Speaking of HIV, Homosexual men are at a higher rate of risk of being infected by it. Should they also be taxed, taxed for being Gay? If the state justifes taxing sodas and junk food because it is a risk why not?[/quote]

How can you tax anyone for being gay if you don't know who is gay or who is a practicing homosexual? Do you tax them for the sex act? How?

It's easy to tax non-essential foods, just as you tax cigarettes and liquor.

And who'll be the first to throw the Twinkies overboard?

[quote name='jkaands' post='1743927' date='Jan 5 2009, 10:18 PM']How can you tax anyone for being gay if you don't know who is gay or who is a practicing homosexual? Do you tax them for the sex act? How?

It's easy to tax non-essential foods, just as you tax cigarettes and liquor.

And who'll be the first to throw the Twinkies overboard?[/quote]
If there were an easy way to tax acts of homosexual sodomy, would you support it? (Just curious)

And who the heck determines what foods are "non-essential" anyway? Does that mean anything beyond gruel and water?

I think the truth is, the government will tax whatever it can get away with.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1744024' date='Jan 5 2009, 09:19 PM']If there were an easy way to tax acts of homosexual sodomy, would you support it? (Just curious)

And who the heck determines what foods are "non-essential" anyway? Does that mean anything beyond gruel and water?

I think the truth is, the government will tax whatever it can get away with.[/quote]

Why are you complaining? Obama is proposing a multi-billion tax cut.

People who complain about taxes are usually first in line for the benefits that taxes support.

It's pretty clear that candy, snacks and sodas are non-essential and could easily be taxed.

Some states already include only essential foods in food coupons. No coupons for Twinkies. Sorry.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1744099' date='Jan 5 2009, 09:13 PM']Hard candy isn't a junk food for a diabetic.[/quote]

Nope--it's a lifeline.

[quote name='jkaands' post='1744090' date='Jan 5 2009, 09:03 PM']Why are you complaining? Obama is proposing a multi-billion tax cut.

People who complain about taxes are usually first in line for the benefits that taxes support.[/quote]

That's a pretty accusation. Do you have anything to back it up?

[quote]It's pretty clear that candy, snacks and sodas are non-essential and could easily be taxed.

Some states already include only essential foods in food coupons. No coupons for Twinkies. Sorry.[/quote]

Should white flour be taxed, and whole-wheat flour not? What about corn syrup vs. cane sugar? Canned carrots vs. fresh ones?

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1744364' date='Jan 6 2009, 10:58 AM']That's a pretty accusation. Do you have anything to back it up?

Should white flour be taxed, and whole-wheat flour not? What about corn syrup vs. cane sugar? Canned carrots vs. fresh ones?[/quote]

Follow the food coupons. FLOUR, SUGAR and CARROTS are eligible for coupons. CANDY, SNACKS, ICE CREAM are not.

There's no law against buying hard candy. So, if you're a diabetic--an obese type II diabetic that can be cured by weight loss?-- BUY the hard candy and pay the tax!!