An Old School Catholic Message Board

Veggie Tales

Mateo el Feo

What do you think of the Veggie Tale products (for consumption by Catholic kids)?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='kujo' post='1533354' date='May 19 2008, 09:57 AM']I dunno, dude. Have you seen Jonah? That was some pretty funny stuff, actually. I took my godson to see it but I secretly wanted to see it myself and he was just my cover....can't have a big hairy dude in a Jesus t-shirt walkin' into the movie theater on a Saturday by himself and think people aren't going to be whispering![/quote]
haha

a few fridays ago, I went to one of my best friend's houses. we were both pretty tired, so we decided to watch a movie. we were going through all her movies, and when I held up Jonah and said I hadn't seen it, she goes "WHAT? I don't care what you want, we're watching that!"

and so I spent my friday night watching veggietales. :))

[quote name='Brigid' post='1533961' date='May 19 2008, 07:28 PM']haha

a few fridays ago, I went to one of my best friend's houses. we were both pretty tired, so we decided to watch a movie. we were going through all her movies, and when I held up Jonah and said I hadn't seen it, she goes "WHAT? I don't care what you want, we're watching that!"

and so I spent my friday night watching veggietales. :))[/quote]

Sounds like time well spent to me.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1533910' date='May 19 2008, 05:51 PM']:secret: Psst...I think that you may have forgotten a don't in there...[/quote]

LOL!!

Yeah I meant that I hope parents DON'T use it exclusively. lol

Thanks.

rhetoricfemme

Veggie Tales are sweet. :)

My five year old nephew has a cd that plays Veggie Tales songs, but they also refer to him by his name. It'll be all, "Hey Zach! Are you ready for another song?!" or something cuter and Veggier than that... But yeah. You can get music with your child's name on it. Straight from Bob and Larry. :)

dominicansoul

[quote name='picchick' post='1533398' date='May 19 2008, 10:07 AM']The one thing I noticed about Veggie Tales is that it is like Seasame Street. There is jokes that only adults would understand. It has the kid factor that makes it cute but I don't think kids would understand: "Desperado! You better come to you senses!" or the theme behind the episode "The Sumo of the Opera." (Rocky and the Karate Kid). That is the episode too that has the Silly Songs where Larry is a teacher and he sings about homophones. ^_^

I like Veggie Tales can you tell? lol

They do not present a specific Catholic message. However, I think that their messages are ones that still need to be taught whether your Jewis, Catholic or Protestant. Virtues such as perseverence and charity, prayer, unselfish behavior. et. al.

Meg[/quote]

But wouldn't it be cute if Bob and Larry suddenly discovered the Rosary!???

Archaeology cat

[quote name='rhetoricfemme' post='1535552' date='May 21 2008, 04:04 AM']Veggie Tales are sweet. :)

My five year old nephew has a cd that plays Veggie Tales songs, but they also refer to him by his name. It'll be all, "Hey Zach! Are you ready for another song?!" or something cuter and Veggier than that... But yeah. You can get music with your child's name on it. Straight from Bob and Larry. :)[/quote]
That's pretty awesome. :guitar:

If you like to waltz with potatoes, up and down the produce aisle. . .

Even if Bob and Larry never discover the Rosary Veggie Tales [i]has[/i] to be more intellectually stimulating than Spongebob. Good grief, I fear the generation that grows up obsessed with that show is going to wind up so incredibly stupid they might start actually wanting to be like those inane, dull characters that aren't even funny at all.

*huggles Veggie tales*

We used to watch them when I was in junior high. My daughters love it.

Broccoli, celery, gotta be...veggie tales...

I LoLed at the "Protestant Propaganda" option.

MissScripture

[quote name='picchick' post='1535164' date='May 20 2008, 05:54 PM']LOL!!

Yeah I meant that I hope parents DON'T use it exclusively. lol

Thanks.[/quote]
No problem. I read it like three times to make sure I didn't just skip the word (I do that sometimes when I read).

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1535678' date='May 21 2008, 12:16 AM']But wouldn't it be cute if Bob and Larry suddenly discovered the Rosary!???[/quote]
Sure....but does that stop me from watching it. No. As long as there is nothing ANTI-Catholic about it, it is ok.

[quote name='Justin86' post='1535908' date='May 21 2008, 07:55 AM']Even if Bob and Larry never discover the Rosary Veggie Tales [i]has[/i] to be more intellectually stimulating than Spongebob. Good grief, I fear the generation that grows up obsessed with that show is going to wind up so incredibly stupid they might start actually wanting to be like those inane, dull characters that aren't even funny at all.[/quote]
Excuse me?!?!?!?!?! Spongebob is the PERFECT show to sit down and veg to. And I am obsessed about it because it is hilarious. And I am not stupid and I do not want to be like them. Except carefree and loving like Spongebob is. There is nothing wrong with a mindless program as long as it is done in moderation.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1537608' date='May 22 2008, 04:31 PM']No problem. I read it like three times to make sure I didn't just skip the word (I do that sometimes when I read).[/quote]

lol I reread my AP papers hundreds of times over...I tend not to do that with all my posts lol

[quote name='picchick' post='1537619' date='May 23 2008, 06:35 AM']Excuse me?!?!?!?!?! Spongebob is the PERFECT show to sit down and veg to. And I am obsessed about it because it is hilarious. And I am not stupid and I do not want to be like them. Except carefree and loving like Spongebob is. There is nothing wrong with a mindless program as long as it is done in moderation.[/quote]
Spongebob is not done in moderation. He is on somewhere, every hour, of every day. I know this because my little sister is so obssessed with this show if we give her the remote it's all she will watch, all day. I am very afraid for her.

[quote name='Justin86' post='1539545' date='May 23 2008, 11:42 PM']Spongebob is not done in moderation. He is on somewhere, every hour, of every day. I know this because my little sister is so obssessed with this show if we give her the remote it's all she will watch, all day. I am very afraid for her.[/quote]

Um....self-discipline? Moderation is a personal development. I don't know how old your little sister is but maybe she needs help in developing her.

Not to hijack this thread but come on! He can be on all the time but that doesn't mean on a personal level that you cannot practice moderation. I do. I know that when I have something to do then I will do it. But when I have nothing to do I will watch that show. It is perfectly mindless....I will admit. But am I mindless? Am I an idiot?

Wait....don't answer that. :unsure:

Edited by picchick

As a Christian program [i]Veggie Tales[/i] is harmless fun for kids, while [i]Assud the Bunny[/i] on Islamic television is vile propaganda:

[url="http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/1693.htm"][u]Hamas Bunny Assud Urges Boycott of Danish Goods and Threatens to Kill Danes over Muhammad Cartoons[/u][/url]