An Old School Catholic Message Board

Veggie Tales

Mateo el Feo

What do you think of the Veggie Tale products (for consumption by Catholic kids)?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Mar 23 2004, 08:10 PM'] I say kill your TV. But if you can't, then restrict usage to movies. For the record, I let my kids watch veggie tales, but as rare treat not everyday entertainment. Furthermore, during Lent and Advent the TV gets put in the closet. TV is OK I think if it is used rarely. But extremely dangerous if used all the time. I think it smells of elderberries people brains right out their heads. [/quote]
Amen to that, TV is a thief of love!

*we are the pirates who don't do anything, we just stay at home . . .*

:D

gotta love them veggie tales :D

i wish i had psychic powers like theirs though . . . i mean i can't pick anything up without my hands! :o But they don't even have any, and they still move things left and right! ;) :D ;)

i do kindof wanna be able to vote for two options, veggie tales are good, but TV is bad :unsure:

[quote name='MagiDragon' date='Apr 4 2004, 04:15 PM'] *we are the pirates who don't do anything, we just stay at home . . .*

:D

gotta love them veggie tales :D

i wish i had psychic powers like theirs though . . . i mean i can't pick anything up without my hands! :o But they don't even have any, and they still move things left and right! ;) :D ;)

i do kindof wanna be able to vote for two options, veggie tales are good, but TV is bad :unsure: [/quote]
Werd... not ALL tv... but most. ;)

(I love my lips!)

• 4 years later...

I think Veggie Tales are good for our kids. They give have the kid-factor (dancing, talking, singing vegetables) without the croutons (gay animals, or weird adults being around the children).

My only concern is whether the show makes kid not want to eat their vegetable friends...

I don't think that Veggie Tales is dangerous, boring maybe for an adult, but not dangerous.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1533340' date='May 19 2008, 10:39 AM']I don't think that Veggie Tales is dangerous, boring maybe for an adult, but not dangerous.[/quote]

I dunno, dude. Have you seen Jonah? That was some pretty funny stuff, actually. I took my godson to see it but I secretly wanted to see it myself and he was just my cover....can't have a big hairy dude in a Jesus t-shirt walkin' into the movie theater on a Saturday by himself and think people aren't going to be whispering!

Archaeology cat

[quote name='kujo' post='1533354' date='May 19 2008, 02:57 PM']I dunno, dude. Have you seen Jonah? That was some pretty funny stuff, actually. I took my godson to see it but I secretly wanted to see it myself and he was just my cover....can't have a big hairy dude in a Jesus t-shirt walkin' into the movie theater on a Saturday by himself and think people aren't going to be whispering![/quote]
My roommate & I went to see that junior year. :lol:

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1533340' date='May 19 2008, 09:39 AM']I don't think that Veggie Tales is dangerous, boring maybe for an adult, but not dangerous.[/quote]

The one thing I noticed about Veggie Tales is that it is like Seasame Street. There is jokes that only adults would understand. It has the kid factor that makes it cute but I don't think kids would understand: "Desperado! You better come to you senses!" or the theme behind the episode "The Sumo of the Opera." (Rocky and the Karate Kid). That is the episode too that has the Silly Songs where Larry is a teacher and he sings about homophones. ^_^

I like Veggie Tales can you tell? lol

They do not present a specific Catholic message. However, I think that their messages are ones that still need to be taught whether your Jewis, Catholic or Protestant. Virtues such as perseverence and charity, prayer, unselfish behavior. et. al.

Meg

Edited by picchick

[quote name='picchick' post='1533398' date='May 19 2008, 12:07 PM']The one thing I noticed about Veggie Tales is that it is like Seasame Street. There is jokes that only adults would understand. It has the kid factor that makes it cute but I don't think kids would understand: "Desperado! You better come to you senses!" or the theme behind the episode "The Sumo of the Opera." (Rocky and the Karate Kid). That is the episode too that has the Silly Songs where Larry is a teacher and he sings about homophones. ^_^

They do not present a specific Catholic message. However, I think that their messages are ones that still need to be taught whether your Jewis, Catholic or Protestant. Virtues such as perseverence and charity, prayer, unselfish behavior. et. al.

Meg[/quote]

Haha. I like Veggie Tales, too.

MissScripture

[quote name='kujo' post='1533354' date='May 19 2008, 08:57 AM']I dunno, dude. Have you seen Jonah? That was some pretty funny stuff, actually. I took my godson to see it but I secretly wanted to see it myself and he was just my cover....can't have a big hairy dude in a Jesus t-shirt walkin' into the movie theater on a Saturday by himself and think people aren't going to be whispering![/quote]
My brothers, my sister, my (now) sister-in-law (then she was my bro's gf) and I all went to see Jonah together when it was in the theatre. My sister was the youngest, at 11 or 12...it was cool.

[quote name='picchick' post='1533398' date='May 19 2008, 10:07 AM']The one thing I noticed about Veggie Tales is that it is like Seasame Street. There is jokes that only adults would understand. It has the kid factor that makes it cute but I don't think kids would understand: "Desperado! You better come to you senses!" or the theme behind the episode "The Sumo of the Opera." (Rocky and the Karate Kid). That is the episode too that has the Silly Songs where Larry is a teacher and he sings about homophones. ^_^

Meg[/quote]
Pretty soon, I will start a program to help you break your APA habits. :harhar:

Autumn Dusk

I've often felt that Veggie Tales are way too simplistic even for youngish children, (4-7) especially when it comes to moral decisions. It feeds the "don't do that its naughty and trouble will happen IMMEDIATELY" message which, in the end stops kids from developing a good conscience. (we don't do bad things becuase it has consequences, now and later). God also is presented in a very emotional way.

However, it does a good job for social/friendship issues.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1533710' date='May 19 2008, 03:34 PM']Pretty soon, I will start a program to help you break your APA habits. :harhar:[/quote]

APA format helps my laziness :P

I agree with you AD that it approaches God in an emotional way but I don't think that it is too simplistic. I hope that parents use it exclusively for the development of their children's conscience but also allow them to make mistakes and decisions in which they learn.

MissScripture

[quote name='picchick' post='1533816' date='May 19 2008, 03:32 PM']APA format helps my laziness :P

I agree with you AD that it approaches God in an emotional way but I don't think that it is too simplistic. I hope that parents use it exclusively for the development of their children's conscience but also allow them to make mistakes and decisions in which they learn.[/quote]
:secret: Psst...I think that you may have forgotten a don't in there...