An Old School Catholic Message Board

Veggie Tales

Mateo el Feo

What do you think of the Veggie Tale products (for consumption by Catholic kids)?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mateo el Feo

I've got a little baby girl who has received a couple Veggie Tale products. Just wondering what everyone's opinion is.

Thanks!

homeschoolmom

We love 'em. Specifically which titles do you have? If you are wondering about their theology... I really can't think there's anything controversial in them... Our Catholic bookstore sells 'em.

The Catholic bookstores near me sell them too.

I am inundated with Veggie Tales! My little sister and brothers watch them ALL the time. I was so tempted to hide our Jonah DVD -- not because it's bad (it's not at all) but because it does get annoying after seeing it about 23 times.

Veggie Tales are good. I'm pretty sure that the company that puts them out is Protestant, but I've never come across anything bad in them. They almost always use stories from the OT.

So I say, let her watch it, if you can stand listening to singing vegetables! :lol:

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Mar 14 2004, 11:23 PM'] If you are wondering about their theology... I really can't think there's anything controversial in them... Our Catholic bookstore sells 'em. [/quote]
Yeah, my Catholic bookstore also sells their stuff. I get the impression that they've tried to stay in the realm of stories that are pretty safe (values like sharing, saying sorry, etc). At least that's my impression from what little I have seen.

Anyway, I guess have a pretty hard time identifying with kids programs today. I guess it's just the way TV raised me: I expect someone to order a bomb from Acme...or for someone to pull out his shot gun for the first day of wabbit season...or duck season...or wabbit season.

This generation of kids' programming is all new to me! :)

One of the few words my friends' little boy knows is "Bob." It's really cute, actually. He gets so excited when he sees the video case ... "Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob."

:)

Veggie tales are great! You can sit with your daughter and watch them, because they make even adults laugh. When I watch them with my cousin's I find myself singing with the songs more then they do.

I'm pretty sure that Veggie Tales are of the devil, but I'm still compiling research.

For crying out loud. Read to your kids. I'm fairly certain that the songs have the opposite effect of the much acclaimed "Mozart Effect" and actually make your kids dumber. Again, still compiling research. I'm pretty certain the Masons are involved, I just can't prove it.

peace...

God Conquers

[quote]I'm pretty certain the Masons are involved, I just can't prove it.
[/quote]

hahaha... Pedro, you should enlist some ninjas to help you do soem undercover work. Maybe you'll find a masonic temple/ animation studio.

[quote name='Dave' date='Mar 15 2004, 12:48 PM'] I'd prefer the Veggie Tales to Barney any day! Barney is of the devil! [/quote]
Teletubbies are also of the devil. I've actually watched Teletubbies ... now THAT's mind-numbing television. I'm sure several of my brain cells died because they couldn't handle the pure inanity of it.

nikkan_hanil

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Mar 15 2004, 03:16 PM'] I've actually watched Teletubbies ... now THAT's mind-numbing television. I'm sure several of my brain cells died because they couldn't handle the pure inanity of it. [/quote]
Bah. Does your child have the channel PBS Kids? If so, DO NOT let them watch Boohbah ( [url="http://pbskids.org/boohbah/boohbah.html"]http://pbskids.org/boohbah/boohbah.html[/url] ). They are at least 10 times stupider. They're these rotund alien turds that run around making fluffy air extraction noises. My 3 year old sister is victim. For the love of God, don't let your child fall into this downward intellect spiral too.

Edited by nikkan_hanil

Rebirth flame

i don't think that there is anything that could qualify as controvercial in any of them. they don't really delve too deep into the aspects of different Christian Faiths. veggytales just kinda gets into good morals and concepts that most children should learn, reguardless of Faith. :D

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='nikkan_hanil' date='Mar 15 2004, 03:08 PM'] Bah. Does your child have the channel PBS Kids? If so, DO NOT let them watch Boohbah ( [url="http://pbskids.org/boohbah/boohbah.html"]http://pbskids.org/boohbah/boohbah.html[/url] ). They are at least 10 times stupider. They're these rotund alien turds that run around making fluffy air extraction noises. My 3 year old sister is victim. For the love of God, don't let your child fall into this downward intellect spiral too. [/quote]
I hafta say I totally agree on this one. Teletubbies and Boohbah are evil

Veggie Tales I think tries to avoid leaning towards one way or another. They are basically a nice Christian video that you don't have to monitor while your kids watch it. They (I don't think) won't be taught false theology precisely because VT avoids adhering to "one side or the other." You won't find any hymns to the Blessed Mother, but you won't find them saying she's not awesome either.