An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can We Dissent From The Magisterium?

mortify

Is dissent ok?   

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1845042' date='Apr 23 2009, 06:56 PM']To the best of my recollection; yes, it was published in that organ, just as [i]Dominus Iesus[/i] was.

That said, I do not subscribe to your modern legalistic view of things, i.e., that some how being published in a periodical of the Holy See gives it dogmatic status. There was no "Acta Apostolicae Sedis" prior to the 20th century, and the previous journal was only an 19th century publication. I guess the doctrines of the Roman Church all date to the 19th and 20th centuries.[/quote]

The Pope has chosen that the [i]Acta[/i] be the official way to promulgate authoritative documents of the Holy See, unless the Holy Father specifies a different manner of promulgation.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1845304' date='Apr 23 2009, 07:36 PM']The Pope has chosen that the [i]Acta[/i] be the official way to promulgate authoritative documents of the Holy See, unless the Holy Father specifies a different manner of promulgation.[/quote]
It is his patriarchate, so he can do that if he likes.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1845316' date='Apr 23 2009, 07:41 PM']Many of those documents aren't only about the Western patriarchate, but about the universal Church.[/quote]
The sui juris Churches all have their own "curia" and official publications.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1845340' date='Apr 23 2009, 07:54 PM']But the Pope of Rome is not just the head of a sui iuris Church, he's the head of the Universal Church.[/quote]
Christ is the head of the Catholic Church, and each patriarch is the head of his patriarchal jurisdiction. The pope is the primate among the patriarch, i.e., he is the first among equals and the final court of appeal.

Yes Christ must "universally acknowledged as its [the Church's] actual Head" (Mystici Corporis Christi, 7), but his does not negate the truth of the statement that the Pope is the "visible Head of the whole Church" (Lumen Gentium, 18) who is not merely first among equals and the final court of appeal, but who "as pastor of the entire Church has full, supreme, and universal power over the whole Church, a power which he can always exercise unhindered" (Lumen Gentium, 22).

How many threads are you two (apo and ressurexi) going to go on in circles about the Papal debate? I've seen it in like 4 now within the past week.