An Old School Catholic Message Board

Paid Tuition?

DominicanPhilosophy

DominicanPhilosophy

I was just told by a friend that Notre Dame supposedly can give students a "free ride" if they are considering religious life. This doesn't sound completely accurate, and I can't find anything on the Internet about it, but does anyone know if this is indeed something the University offers? I've been on retreat at ND before, and this was never mentioned. This also sounds rather generous for any university, considering that many Catholic college students "consider" the religious life. Any insight? :huh:
Thanks!

+JMJD

PS: Happy Feast of the Immaculate Conception, everyone!

moon_child_anne

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1722772' date='Dec 8 2008, 10:11 PM']I was just told by a friend that Notre Dame supposedly can give students a "free ride" if they are considering religious life. This doesn't sound completely accurate, and I can't find anything on the Internet about it, but does anyone know if this is indeed something the University offers? I've been on retreat at ND before, and this was never mentioned. This also sounds rather generous for any university, considering that many Catholic college students "consider" the religious life. Any insight? :huh:
Thanks!

+JMJD

PS: Happy Feast of the Immaculate Conception, everyone![/quote]

Sounds too good to be true.

Carmeliteheart726

[quote name='moon_child_anne' post='1722865' date='Dec 8 2008, 10:06 PM']Sounds too good to be true.[/quote]

Yeah, I have to agree. I have never heard of any universities just giving you tuition. There might be scholarships for such things, but they are not university funded. If you are looking to get an education at a Catholic university, I would suggest talking to your Vocation Director in your diocese. They might be able to help you get financial aid and such.

TeresaBenedicta

I know, at least for the Theology Grad department, if you're accepted you automatically have your tuition paid for by the university. There are two different programs for this: one is usually for those discerning (and have gone on at least a year of service) and the other is for other folks.

From what I've been told, but correct me if I'm wrong, Christendom College lets debts slide if you enter a religious community.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1722974' date='Dec 9 2008, 01:34 AM']From what I've been told, but correct me if I'm wrong, Christendom College lets debts slide if you enter a religious community.[/quote]

Yeah, this is true.

I've heard that, too, and I am actually going to have a meeting with the financial people on Friday (I go there) about debt and vocations, so I can give a definite answer then, if someone doesn't already know! :D

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1722997' date='Dec 9 2008, 12:13 AM']Yeah, this is true.[/quote]
I believe the only caveat here is that for Christendom you can't take out federal loans. Or rather, to have debt eliminated by the University it can only be if your loans were from them.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='shortnun' post='1723317' date='Dec 9 2008, 08:40 PM']I believe the only caveat here is that for Christendom you can't take out federal loans. Or rather, to have debt eliminated by the University it can only be if your loans were from them.[/quote]

Yes, this was my understanding too. It had something to do with the accreditation status of Christendom: as it isn't/wasn't accredited, most students take/took out loans from the University itself, and thus they were in a position to be able to do this.

However, it was a while back that I heard this. It may be best to simply call and ask :) I know that had there been such an option in the UK when I was choosing a university it would have definitely been one of my criteria! That the option is even there is remarkable :)

the lords sheep

There is an endowment, I believe, through the Lilley (sp?) Foundation, but I don't know what kind of scholarships/grants/etc that they offer. And it is true that the Theology Programs (the M.Div and the M.T.S) are paid for- if you can get in....

In Christ,
Lauren

Guest phatdaddy

DP,

I had inquired at Ave Maria University for one of my daughters and was told they do have scholarships for discerners. I can email the contact info to you if you are interested.
Mr. Ray

DominicanPhilosophy

Ok, thanks you all! Now that I have heard some of the specifics, it makes a bit more sense...agreed, the "discerners" blanket statement made it seem a bit too good to be true..

PD, I've heard good things about the Ave Maria University Discernment Floor: do you happen to have experience with it through a daughter?

Frenchfry, AWESOME! That would be wonderful if you could give us a report after your meeting. ;-) Good luck!

Also, anyone have any experiences with Christendom College?

+JMJD

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1723815' date='Dec 10 2008, 01:02 AM']Also, anyone have any experiences with Christendom College?[/quote]

I have some relatives and friends that are alumni of Christendom (or are attending now). It is an excellent school with a very Catholic identity. Many vocations have come from there, however it does not offer a discernment program like Ave Maria does.

I know of a young woman who entered the monastery, but still owed the school some money. They let it go, and she was free to enter. She is professed now.

There is also a girl from our local Catholic home school group that attended Christendom. She is a Nashville Dominican now.

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

OK, I had my meeting with the financial department today. Notre Dame does not have any scholarships or financial support relating to religious life, as far as I can tell. People might think that they do because Holy Cross has some something if you are entering their communities, and they are associated with Notre Dame.

lol and they tried to get me to consider Holy Cross instead of Dominicans because they could help me financially! hahaha they really don't get it.

:(

Edited by frenchfry