An Old School Catholic Message Board

On The Point

Guest nvzbl

In my opinion, debating can be good or bad, or somewhere in between.

Debating to decide someone is good. it gets points across. It seems to be fair to me.

Debating for the sake of debate is ok, i guess. It's not my favorite thing to do, but if both parties are ok with debating, then it's ok.

Debating to annoy someone is bad. I have a friend that will say things that will obviously start a debate, just to get me mad because i hate debates. thats not good.

debating is fun if done right....when it escalates to yelling and screaming well then it just gets annoying and it is no longer debating.

Some people live for this stuff.

The point is to show your opinion and to persuade another's view. I don't know...I more a less debate to show why I think the way I do and how it is not neccessarily wrong. Furthermore, I debate when I see someone else is either taking somehting too far and making a mountain out of a mole hill or when I know that someone is just thinking illogically.

Do I think illogically? Hecks yes I do! But often times I can logic my way outta things...

Debate = good.

Exchanging [i]ad hominem[/i] attacks, pointless personal bickering, mindless provocation = not debate = bad.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1721072' date='Dec 6 2008, 08:15 PM']Debate = good.

Exchanging [i]ad hominem[/i] attacks, pointless personal bickering, mindless provocation = not debate = bad.[/quote]

Oh......that is what makes it fun!

icelandic_iceskater

ditto to everyone else. It's generally good. Especially when you're both interested in finding Truth, rather than simply being right. :)

IrishSalesian

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1721249' date='Dec 7 2008, 12:28 AM']I like arguing.[/quote]
Understatement of the decade!

HisChildForever

[quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1721257' date='Dec 6 2008, 11:36 PM']Understatement of the decade![/quote]

:evil: