An Old School Catholic Message Board

Postulants

VeniteAdoremus

VeniteAdoremus

I was thinking about the title of postulants, and hence, about what you actually [i]are[/i] as a postulant, because of several things:
[list]
[*]Some communities style their postulants "Sr. Baptismal Name", others leave the "Sr."
[*]"Postulant" means "one who asks" - asks for admittance, which implies the admittance hasn't happened yet
[*]By canon law (wasn't it?) they wear clothing different from the habit
[/list]

So - is a postulant a sister, or isn't she?

(At the moment, my answer would be no, because that's the way it happens in my community - you're not called "sister" until clothing and your new name, and the topics handled in postulancy classes are different from those in the novice classes, though I'm not sure how Sr. Novice Mistress is going to manage with her noviciate filling up :) )

I'm interested in your answers :)

DominicanPhilosophy

These are good points you bring up; I've never really thought about this before. I would say that perhaps the title of "Sister" is used because this distinguishes a girl in the community from other girls just discerning [I realize that the postulant outfit serves as a distinguishing mark, too, but this takes it a step further]. The postulant has freely entered into the conventual life to see if it is where He is willing her to stay. I think that it adds another dimension to the "postulant experience," having the religious title. It all must be so much to take in, and that title serves as a constant reminder to the postulant of the result of her [i]fiat[/i].

+JMJD

I forgot to give my take:

I'll say [b]yes[/b], a postulant is a sister..
A sister very early in her religious formation, but a sister nonetheless.

^_^

Edited by DominicanPhilosophy

the lords sheep

In the Church, a young woman hasn't officially entered a community until she enters the novitiate. So in that sense, she isn't officially a Sister.
However, I think there is something very beautiful about beginning to call a postulant Sister. It is a practical reminder to the postulant and to the world what she is aiming for, who she believes she is called to be. Everytime someone calls her "Sister," it should resonate something in her heart, because that name is a reflection of what she believes she is at her deepest level: completely Christ's.
Also, calling her "Sr. baptismal name" is a reminder not only what she is striving for, but that she has been called through her baptism, indeed from the very beginning of her existence, to be Christ's spouse.

In Christ,
Lauren

Edited by the lords sheep

I see it like being in medical or dental school, where the students are addressed as "Dr," even though they have not graduated or passed whatever exams are required.

In nursing school, our instructors always said something like, "We as nurses. . ."

It's a process of forming a particular mindset.

In some Protestant churches, everyone refers to everyone else as "Sister" or "Brother," and they certainly are not nuns or monks!

Different traditions, different protocols. It should go back to the original vision of the founder--what did they intend for their followers to be called?

My 2 cents.

Blessings,
Gemma

What occurs during postulancy widely varies from community to community. When you live with a bunch of sisters, most of the time you get called sister anyway.
Admittance occurs when one officially enters the novitiate. Mother Church is wise indeed. You need time to adjust/explore the life before embracing it fully. There is time given to live the life. It is vastly different living the life each day in community then just visiting or staying for weekends.
Interesting discussion!

A novice mistress told me that you aren't a sister or even a full member of the community until you enter the novitiate. I think that people call you sister just out of ease, and because you are calling everyone else sister so-and-so. The mother superior refers to the members of the formation household as "young sister".

[quote name='alicemary' post='1713570' date='Nov 30 2008, 03:49 AM']What occurs during postulancy widely varies from community to community. When you live with a bunch of sisters, most of the time you get called sister anyway.
Admittance occurs when one officially enters the novitiate. Mother Church is wise indeed. You need time to adjust/explore the life before embracing it fully. There is time given to live the life. It is vastly different living the life each day in community then just visiting or staying for weekends.
Interesting discussion![/quote]

[quote]It is vastly different living the life each day in community then just visiting or staying for weekends.[/quote]

Excellent comment! It can take a while too before one is actually integrated into the community and settled into it ........ insighting all aspects of community and relationships. At first I dont think one really notices these deeper aspects.........all is too new and one struggles with this and understanding how to do what one needs to do and discerning the why's and wherefores of it all which can be absorbing.

I am all for actually postulancy and noviciate being what they were formed to be and times of discerning.........although once one accepts and is accepted for entry into the noviciate, I think there needs to be a resolution on the part of the novice to give the life a really good try despite any difficulties that come along - to try anyway to work through them. There needs to be a level of commitment, although it is still a time of discerning and no disgrace or failure to leave. Temporary or simple vows is a new level of commitment to my mind and by now one should be pretty sure of what one is about. But they still remain only temporary vows and nothing permanent. However, God's Ways are not ours nor His Thoughts our thoughts. Sometimes indeed, The Lord has other plans for a life, although the experience of conventual or monastic life becomes invaluable experience to what The Lord does have planned. All life experience is valuable and never a waste of time or effort - God has His Reasons.
Perpetual or life vows are what they imply and for life come what may and total commitment of a mature adult - a very serious move. But then again, we cannot put human limits on God.

Giving the postulant the title of "Sister Baptismal name" does create, I think, a psychological sense of belonging to the community and she does since leadership have accepted her to give the life a try in the very real and earliest sense. She is introduced to the community as a potential member for their acceptance or discerning and the postulant does the same thing. She discerns. She has been accepted by leadership into the community. At entry into the noviciate, it becomes "Sister new name or Baptismal name" and the receiving of the habit gives one a deeper 'feeling' about belonging to the community and of a level of commitment to it and the life.
I think postulants too should have their own unique habit for the same reasons as adopting the title of "Sister" above.

But then I am a secular telling religious and nuns their business!!! :smokey:

Barb :)

When one "postulates" a theory, one is trying to figure out an answer and saying, "I think this is right." As a previous post-er mentioned, it comes from the Latin for "to request."

So a postulant is a person who is has requested permission from the community to try to figure out if this way of life is right for her/himself. Since the postulant is only trying to figure out, requesting permission to live the life for a while and try one's vocation, I don't see a postulant as part of the community in the full & official sense of the word. Still, it is obvious that the postulant is indeed a member of the community in the sense that s/he is physically present & living with the community s/he is trying out (and the community 'trying' the postulant as well). If one is called "Sister" (or "Brother") by the permanent members of the community, it is at least a sign of charity (in the sense of 'connectedness') on the community's part, and maybe a habit of mind on the community's part.

If the postulant comes to the conclusion that this particular community is not "what is right," s/he can leave without any negative connotations (in fact, I'd judge someone very positively who at least gave it a try), and I don't think the community would feel that they had lost one of their members - it would be more like. "We had an interesting visitor for a while, but ...."

Another way to shed light on this question might be to ask: When religious celebrate anniversaries, is it the anniversary of their entrance as a postulant, as a novice, or of final vows? My diocesan newspaper publishes religious anniversaries every year, and I think they add "Entrance" or "Final Vows" as sort of a footnote with each anniversary.

[quote name='Luigi' post='1714010' date='Nov 30 2008, 10:59 AM']Another way to shed light on this question might be to ask: When religious celebrate anniversaries, is it the anniversary of their entrance as a postulant, as a novice, or of final vows? My diocesan newspaper publishes religious anniversaries every year, and I think they add "Entrance" or "Final Vows" as sort of a footnote with each anniversary.[/quote]

Insofar as I know and have experienced, the date of the final vows is the date of religious anniversaries.

moon_child_anne

I'm currently a postulant with the Sisters of Notre Dame. Our community doesn't see the postulants as a "Sister" yet, but I get called Sister by mistake alot. I also have learned to answer to the name Mary even though it's not my name...

Peace,
Anne, PND
www.snd1.org

Laudem Gloriae

I think it depends on each order and each community. I know at the Benedictine Oulton Abbey and at the Sheffield Carmel (where I have been discerning with) - both in England - you get your religious name upon entrance as a postulant so you pick or are given your religious name by the Abbess and Prioress before you enter so you are "Sr. who ever" right away.

Others don't do this so it's up to each community/order it seems.

It does indeed vary from community to community and religious traditon. Postulancy is really pre-novitiate, a time of general exploration of vocation rather than commitment. With us, the religious name and title "Sister" is given at clothing, because that is when one formally asks to be admitted to the community and is welcomed into the period of probation known as novitiate. That is why we date our jubilees from the date of clothing rather than profession. Solemn profession marks definitive membership of the community. In the Rule of St Benedict chapter 58, which is all about admission to the community, this is marked by a beautiful change of phrase. Until profession, one is "anonymous" (is qui…noviter veniens, etc). At profession Benedict suddenly calls the monk "the new brother" (novitius frater). In practice, of course, as already noticed, you're quite likely to be called "Sister" or "Dame" almost as soon as you arrive. Even the dog has sometimes been called that (and he's a boy)!

puellapaschalis

[quote name='moon_child_anne' post='1714149' date='Nov 30 2008, 02:55 AM']I'm currently a postulant with the Sisters of Notre Dame. Our community doesn't see the postulants as a "Sister" yet, but I get called Sister by mistake alot. I also have learned to answer to the name Mary even though it's not my name...

Peace,
Anne, PND
www.snd1.org[/quote]

I was (mistakenly) called "Sister" when I was inside for a [i]visit[/i] :unsure: :lol_roll: There was much clapping of hands over mouths and muffled giggling.

praying4carmel

Happy Advent Everyone!

I hope that you all had as blessed a Thanksgiving as I did!

I am called Postulant Nancy, but like most have said, I am called Sister often or just Nancy. Same goes for our other Postulant Jackie, though we most often call her "P.J." :topsy:

Stefanie is Novice Stefanie or just Stefanie.

Most notes to me, my assignments for duties, etc are addressed P. Nancy and when I sign out to go for a walk, I am P. Nancy as well.

I will become "Sister" officially when I take first Vows.

It's wonderful to reflect today on how we are clay in God's Hands, and also in our entrance ceremony to the Monastery, first as Postulants we are received in the welcome area, receiving our Copies of the Liturgy of the Hours, then joining the community in our first [i]Statio[/i]; when we become Novices we are at the Ambo, and receive our large Medal, and when we make first and final vows, we are at the altar. The Lord shapes us at each step.

As the "Youngest" rank wise, in the community today I got to light our Advent Candle on our wreath at Mass after the blessing. That was a gift.

Blessings to all this Advent and thank you for your prayers. Sorry I don't have time to check in much, but you know why. You are all in my prayers this Advent!

Peace
+
Nancy

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1714527' date='Nov 30 2008, 01:15 PM']I was (mistakenly) called "Sister" when I was inside for a [i]visit[/i] :unsure: :lol_roll: There was much clapping of hands over mouths and muffled giggling.[/quote]

You get called Sister all over the place! (Seriously, PP can't enter a church in France without being ushered to a prime spot, Soeur this, Soeur that. But I beat her - one weird guy once wanted to confess to me when I was straightening up kneeler cushions while wearing my (purple) choir cassock.) :offtopic:

Thank you, everyone, for your bunches of cents, especially the real-time postulants (wow!) (Nancy, how great to hear from you!)

I love that there are [i]very[/i] good arguments for both options (Sr. and not). It shows how the spirituality of the religious life is so rich that different communities can live different things without "missing out" on other aspects - because they're "complete". Does this make sense?

18 days until Sr. Julie attacks me with a measuring rope, but eight long months until I can wear the result of her efforts and still not be a Sister yet :)