An Old School Catholic Message Board

Killing Varieties Of Humans

dairygirl4u2c

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[Expand] Support Wikipedia: a non-profit project Donate Now »
[Expand] Support Wikipedia: a non-profit project — Donate Now
Homo
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Look up homo, homo- in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.Homo may refer to:

In science:

Homo (genus), the genus of humans (Homo sapiens) and closely related species such as Neanderthals
HOMO/LUMO, Highest Occupied Molecular Orbital
In dairy:

An abbreviation for homogenized milk, sometimes used on product packaging
In slang:

Pejorative slang term for homosexual, directed at homosexual persons or non-homosexual persons for comedic or pejorative effect.

pejorative
Definition from Wiktionary, a free dictionary
Jump to: navigation, search
Wikipedia has an article on:
Pejorative
Contents [hide]
1 English
1.1 Etymology
1.2 Pronunciation
1.3 Noun
1.3.1 Translations
1.3.2 Synonyms
1.3.3 Antonyms
1.4 Adjective
1.4.1 Translations
1.4.2 Synonyms
1.4.3 Antonyms
1.5 References

[edit] English

[edit] Etymology
French 1882 péjorative "depreciative, disparaging" < Late Latin peioratus, past participle of peiorare "make worse" < Latin peior "worse"

related: English 1644 pejorate "to worsen" < Late Latin peioratus, past participle of peiorare "make worse" < Latin peior "worse".

[edit] Pronunciation
(RP) IPA: /pɪˈdʒɒrətɪv/, SAMPA: /pI"dZQr@tIv/
(GenAm) IPA: /pɪˈdʒɔːɹətɪv/, SAMPA: /pI"dZO:r@tIv/

[edit] Noun
Singular
pejorative
Plural
pejoratives

pejorative (plural pejoratives)

A disparaging, belittling, or derogatory word or expression.

[quote name='nvzbl' post='1717442' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:26 AM']In dairy:

An abbreviation for homogenized milk, sometimes used on product packaging[/quote]
Oh, so that's why people who drink milk become gay. I always wondered how that happened.

• 4 months later...
tinytherese

[quote name='rkwright' post='1713036' date='Nov 28 2008, 07:36 PM']lol I seriously thought you meant homosexuals by the topic title...[/quote]

:lol_roll: So did I. I thought, "what a horrible thread!"

Was the heart of the idea ever addressed? Killing animals is permissible, killing humans is not... it seems the heart of the poll question is: "when throughout their evolution did human beings become truly human beings rather than animals?"

I would propose that killing even proto-humans that had not yet crossed the threshold of true humanity, because out of their bodies is the true potential for the evolution of a true human.

and to the inevitable question of other primates, I would propose that they do not have the true capacity to evolve into true humans. this is based more on philosophy than science, though, and I think it is prudent to limit killing of the higher primates on the basis of their close resemblance to humanity... like, even though a Virgin Mary appearing on a piece of toast is definitely not the Virgin Mary, if one took that piece of toast and stomped on it it would be disrespect to the Virgin Mary. similarly, the killing of primates, because of their iconic similarity to our own physiology, can be a type of disrespect to human life.

CAN be, I say, because there are places in the world in which eating monkeys is a normal food source and I don't think they're doing anything disrespectful to human life.

definitively, if we had a time machine and really had the chance to meet a member of a species which would eventually evolve into our own, it would be the mortal sin of murder to kill any of them. when it comes to our closest evolutionary ancestors as they have evolved from that same stock, I do not say it is definitively any type of murder to kill them, though it can be a type of sin, but not murder.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1851142' date='Apr 28 2009, 06:20 AM']Was the heart of the idea ever addressed? Killing animals is permissible, killing humans is not... it seems the heart of the poll question is: "when throughout their evolution did human beings become truly human beings rather than animals?"

I would propose that killing even proto-humans that had not yet crossed the threshold of true humanity, because out of their bodies is the true potential for the evolution of a true human.

and to the inevitable question of other primates, I would propose that they do not have the true capacity to evolve into true humans. this is based more on philosophy than science, though, and I think it is prudent to limit killing of the higher primates on the basis of their close resemblance to humanity... like, even though a Virgin Mary appearing on a piece of toast is definitely not the Virgin Mary, if one took that piece of toast and stomped on it it would be disrespect to the Virgin Mary. similarly, the killing of primates, because of their iconic similarity to our own physiology, can be a type of disrespect to human life.

CAN be, I say, because there are places in the world in which eating monkeys is a normal food source and I don't think they're doing anything disrespectful to human life.

definitively, if we had a time machine and really had the chance to meet a member of a species which would eventually evolve into our own, it would be the mortal sin of murder to kill any of them. when it comes to our closest evolutionary ancestors as they have evolved from that same stock, I do not say it is definitively any type of murder to kill them, though it can be a type of sin, but not murder.[/quote]

Interesting answer.

In your oppinion, Do primates with the brain power of say a young human have any rights in their ability to suffer, feel despair etc. Do they have any rights aside from their been a poor reflection of humans?

• 1 year later...
dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1240914000' post='1851142']
Was the heart of the idea ever addressed? Killing animals is permissible, killing humans is not... it seems the heart of the poll question is: "when throughout their evolution did human beings become truly human beings rather than animals?"

definitively, if we had a time machine and really had the chance to meet a member of a species which would eventually evolve into our own, it would be the mortal sin of murder to kill any of them. when it comes to our closest evolutionary ancestors as they have evolved from that same stock, I do not say it is definitively any type of murder to kill them, though it can be a type of sin, but not murder.
[/quote]

verry well said.
and yes, addressing the heart of the issues, heck addressing the issues.

• 3 years later...
dairygirl4u2c

al's response was good in theory, but didnt really draw a firm line.

my line would be like the line i drew in the chicken v egg hypothetical..... 'if they are able to at all breed with homo sapiens, it is immoral'.

but even if that was the standard.... would it be moral to open hunting season on the ones that can't mate?

it is definitely not somehting i would do, if they looked too much like humans, but weren't able to mate.

Nihil Obstat

I dont know where Al has been!

Egypt, I think. Working on a thesis on Coptic monasticism, or something along those lines.

Not sure if he is still there or not.

So not doing anything important, gotcha.

:spike:

Edited by CrossCuT

Nihil Obstat

:shock: Heresy!

Everything Al does is important for no other reason than that Al does it.

Edited by Nihil Obstat