An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should We Resurrect The Neanderthals?

Lil Red

[quote name='mcts' post='1715496' date='Nov 30 2008, 11:33 PM']if something is extinct, then God probably had a reason for it. I don't think that we should mess with that.[/quote]

+1

Edited by Guest

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1715579' date='Dec 1 2008, 12:57 AM']+1[/quote]
+2. I think bringing anything back from death or extinction is not asking for trouble, but pounding on trouble's door begging. -Katie

puellapaschalis

[quote name='picchick' post='1714895' date='Nov 30 2008, 10:11 PM']Oh my gosh....

I kept reading this as "Should we resurrect the NETHERLANDS"

I never read it because I thought what????[/quote]

IDEM DITTO SISTAH!

I was sitting here thinking, "But...but...I'm HERE. Has some poncy news agency told someone that we're not here anymore?!" :lol_roll:

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1714044' date='Nov 29 2008, 06:01 PM']Neanderthals were, in my understanding, full humans, but I think cloning is unethical either way. I don't think giving us dominion over animals meant that God intended for us to do whatever we want with them. We are called to respect them as creatures of God and I think cloning is disrespectful of God's creation. -Katie[/quote]

Identical twins are clones.

...one of the big problems with 'resurrection' of extinct species, among the many, is that the conditions for their survival in the wild no longer exist. The dodo, or whatever, would have to exist in a zoo.

Also, as an aside, many species such as the dodo bird didn't die out naturally. Invading humans, the Dutch, I believe, exterminated the large flightless bird which had previously had no enemies. In some isolated islands, where humans have invaded with their pet cats, those cats made short work of local bird populations, wiping out some isolated species. This sort of extinction by humans is completely artificial. Of course now, the human race,with global warming and massive habitat loss is wiping out species at a rate not seen since the Cretaceous-Tertiary period.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='jkaands' post='1716792' date='Dec 2 2008, 08:15 PM']Identical twins are clones.

...one of the big problems with 'resurrection' of extinct species, among the many, is that the conditions for their survival in the wild no longer exist. The dodo, or whatever, would have to exist in a zoo.

Also, as an aside, many species such as the dodo bird didn't die out naturally. Invading humans, the Dutch, I believe, exterminated the large flightless bird which had previously had no enemies. In some isolated islands, where humans have invaded with their pet cats, those cats made short work of local bird populations, wiping out some isolated species. This sort of extinction by humans is completely artificial. Of course now, the human race,with global warming and massive habitat loss is wiping out species at a rate not seen since the Cretaceous-Tertiary period.[/quote]

Identical Twins are not clones; they share DNA but there are some differences, i.e, they don't have the same fingerprints. It's actually possible to have male and female identical twins. I agree that our irresponsiblity in caring for the environment is aggregious. I don't think we have any business ressurecting any living thing. -Katie

Edited by Tinkerlina

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='jkaands' post='1716792' date='Dec 2 2008, 07:15 PM']...one of the big problems with 'resurrection' of extinct species, among the many, is that the conditions for their survival in the wild no longer exist. The dodo, or whatever, would have to exist in a zoo....[/quote]

Animals are pretty adaptable...It somewhat depends on how highly specialized they were in their original habitat. I mean look at what the Cane Toad did in Australia. That thing wasn't native to the continent, but within like 10 years or something it'd basically overpopulated the place.

In any case. [i]Homo neanderthalensis [/i]may or may not be human in the strictess since of the word. If we were to clone one and then we found out that it DID have human intellect and the faculties associated with a soul...we would for sure not be ethically permitted to clone another one thereafter. Then he'd just be one lonely caveman looking for love. Poor guy. Except unlike Brendan Fraser, he won't have Pauly Shore to help him acclimate. Geico WOULD be all over that...he'd basically have a job at Geico for life.

Edited by Veridicus

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1745643' date='Jan 8 2009, 05:15 AM']Identical Twins are not clones; they share DNA but there are some differences, i.e, they don't have the same fingerprints. It's actually possible to have male and female identical twins. I agree that our irresponsiblity in caring for the environment is aggregious. I don't think we have any business ressurecting any living thing. -Katie[/quote]

Are you conflating identical and fraternal twins? If not, different-sex identical twins would be a paper I would really, really like to read.

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1767475' date='Jan 31 2009, 06:50 AM']Are you conflating identical and fraternal twins? If not, different-sex identical twins would be a paper I would really, really like to read.[/quote]

No, I'm not mixing them up. It's [i]very rare[/i] but it happens.

However, there have been a few reported cases of a genetic mutation in monozygotic male twins. For some reason, after the zygote splits, one twin loses a Y chromosome and develops as a female. The female twin would be afflicted with Turner Syndrome, characterized by short stature and lack of ovarian development. It's extremely rare; less than ten cases have been confirmed. Given the odds, it's safe to assume that 99.9% of all boy/girl twins are fraternal. (Source:http://multiples.about.com/od/funfacts/a/boygirlident.htm). Even if identical twins are the same sex, though, they are definitely not clones. -Katie