An Old School Catholic Message Board

School Vouchers

Lil Red

homeschoolmom

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1711437' date='Nov 26 2008, 11:25 AM']I'm in favor of them because it moves us away from a centralized government-run education system to puts the decision of how children are educated in the hands of those who should make that decision: parents. In the midst of growing concerns about what kind of sex ed or literature or history your child is being taught at public (or Catholic) schools, we need more alternatives and a competitive environment for education. It works at the university level, so why not for primary and secondary education too?[/quote]

Not to mention methodology of education.

[quote name='prose' post='1711481' date='Nov 26 2008, 12:11 PM']Why does that make you cry? Are they tears of joy?[/quote]

envy :evil: ...

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1711161' date='Nov 25 2008, 09:05 PM']+J.M.J.+
why?[/quote]
We pay taxes for the public schools, but they don't educate my daughter. We send our daughter to a Catholic school.

So the public school system gets our $, but doesn't have to educate our daughter.

I think the same should apply to those who homeschool. They shouldn't have to pay either.

The state is not rendering the direct service which we are paying for.

iono, i am not good at debating.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1711099' date='Nov 25 2008, 08:24 PM']I don't see why they should get 20%.[/quote]
Because if you pull all the money, you're going to be hurting everyone else in the system. Schools get a certain amount per pupil, but it's not like they exclusively spend it on that one student. The money gets used for everything.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1711518' date='Nov 26 2008, 01:15 PM']Because if you pull all the money, you're going to be hurting everyone else in the system. Schools get a certain amount per pupil, but it's not like they exclusively spend it on that one student. The money gets used for everything.[/quote]
Exactly. While I would love to have nearly $15,000 for my two "students," it's not like I have to build a school house out in the backyard, provide desks, etc. Honestly, I would be happy to get by with a mere ten grand. :saint:

Proud2BCatholic139

I'm wishy washy...

There are people who honestly do need them, but there are people who take poor advantage of them.

It's quite a shame.