An Old School Catholic Message Board

Unchaste Movies

Resurrexi

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1709080' date='Nov 23 2008, 11:46 PM']Even if you don't think it is inherently sinful, it might not be such a great idea.[/quote]

What she said. I don't believe it to be objectively sinful, but it could definitely inspire sinful things.

HisChildForever

If it is your first time watching the movie and it happens to have a(n) (explicit) sex scene, and you never expected it, you're okay. But if you go back to see that movie because of the scene, there's something wrong. And yet if you go back to see the movie because you really enjoyed it and you don't care about the sex scene, you're fine.

I always protected myself from those kind of scenes in movies. I either wouldn't watch them, or would turn my head, leave the room, fast forward, etc. I didn't think it was appropriate for an unmarried woman. Now that I'm an old married woman, when re-watching a movie with my husband that has a scene that I've never seen before, it's actually kind of funny. In some cases, it has made the movie make more sense to me now.

I think a lot depends on the context of the sexual/nude situations and their place in the plot, what the overall message is. But unfortunately, a lot of what we see in movies is completely unnecessary to the plot....-Katie

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1709106' date='Nov 23 2008, 11:06 PM']If it is your first time watching the movie and it happens to have a(n) (explicit) sex scene, and you never expected it, you're okay. But if you go back to see that movie because of the scene, there's something wrong. And yet if you go back to see the movie because you really enjoyed it and you don't care about the sex scene, you're fine.[/quote]

Pretty much my opinion as well. :mellow:

missionseeker

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1709562' date='Nov 24 2008, 01:24 PM']Unless you're afraid seeing a naked person will burn your eyes out and rot you soul, no.[/quote]

didn't you know that baby tees and layers are objectively sinful anyway, too??????????

So.. heck... why should taking the "paint" off mater.

:mellow:

TotusTuusMaria

As far as the first two go, that we shouldn't be too flippant with what we allow ourselves to see and hear. As my godmother says, "Garbage in garbage out." If someone is constantly allowing themselves to hear "humorous" sexual references and so on then they have become numb or will become, without a miracle of protection from God, to those things.

I think also it is worded wrong. I think what might be an interesting question to ask is: Is watching a movie with sexual "humorous" references pure and chaste? Does it aid one in the struggle to achieve those virtues? Certainly not.

So, despite the fact that it is very possibly putting impure images and thoughts in your memory, it must for sure be a frivolous action to watch those movies and a waste of time.

Whether these things are sins really depends on the person and their conscience, but I don't see how someone with a well-formed conscience that is seriously struggling to be a saint (people like: Mother Teresa, John Paul II, Bl. Pier Frassati) can justify spending their time and subjecting their souls to the kinds of movies that we have out today which I think this post is referring too.

Christ wouldn't watch them. The saints wouldn't watch them. Our angels are probably frustrated and upset that they are subjected by us to the impurity of these movies.

And in the words of Casting Crowns, "It is a slow fade when black and white turns to gray."

I mean, the title of thread is: "Unchaste Movies." It looks like the conscience is already telling us that the movies are not for the good of our souls. [b]If it isn't a chaste movie then why spend time watching it? Is it a sin? I think so, especially if you already know what kind of movie it is. [/b]

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

I voted 2-2-3.
Why not allow humor and bedroom scenes but allow nudity? I don't think the question gives a good enough context to say objectively sinful or not.

There is Catholic art that displays nudity such as the Sistine Chapel. The Mission, a movie about Jesuit missionaries has topless natives that are being evangelized, yet I would say it is a very uplifting and inspiring movie.