An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cardinal Schonborn

Lil Red

+J.M.J.+
[url="http://www.americanpapist.com/2008/11/video-austrian-cardinal-participates-in.html"]H/T to American Papist[/url]
[quote]This video depicts grave liturgical abuses. Someone who wrote the Catechism of the Catholic Church should know better. I know things are bad for the Church in Austria - but this is not the solution to the problem of young people straying. The Cardinal looks hardly happy about the whole situation, but he remains complicit in it.[/quote]
:ohno:

HisChildForever

What...the...heck.

1. Is that balloon thing going on [b]during[/b] Mass?!

2. Why is the altar server not in a robe?

3. A priest is clapping?!

4. The Eucharist looks like pita bread!!!

5. What's with the rock music??

6. STROBE LIGHTS?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1704358' date='Nov 18 2008, 05:55 PM']4. The Eucharist looks like pita bread!!![/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i honestly don't think it is valid matter. did you see the close-up of it? :ohno: plus, what was up with the guitar riff right in the middle of the Eucharistic prayer? :huh:

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1704362' date='Nov 18 2008, 08:01 PM']+J.M.J.+
i honestly don't think it is valid matter. did you see the close-up of it? :ohno: plus, what was up with the guitar riff right in the middle of the Eucharistic prayer? :huh:[/quote]

I think that is a video editing trick. They're singing the our father at that point. It seems like its edited over the prayer.

icelandic_iceskater

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1704358' date='Nov 18 2008, 08:55 PM']4. The Eucharist looks like pita bread!!![/quote]
Is that a liturgical abuse?

I've had a specimen like that before at a Neocatechumenal Way, which is supposedly approved by the pope...? Something about leavened bread instead of unleavened. :idontknow:

Wow, did the Cardinal follow me to XA when I was an undergrad student?

Also who else got the idea that when he was writing his prayer on the card to the balloon it was "Please God, make it all stop"?

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' post='1704428' date='Nov 18 2008, 10:27 PM']Is that a liturgical abuse?

I've had a specimen like that before at a Neocatechumenal Way, which is supposedly approved by the pope...? Something about leavened bread instead of unleavened. :idontknow:[/quote]

Leavened bread is normal matter for the Eucharist in the Eastern Churches, but the Code of Canon Law says this about its use in the Roman Rite:

Can. 926 In the eucharistic celebration, in accordance with the ancient tradition of the latin Church, the priest is to use unleavened bread wherever he celebrates Mass.

PhoenixLament87

[quote name='BG45' post='1704494' date='Nov 19 2008, 01:58 AM']Wow, did the Cardinal follow me to XA when I was an undergrad student?

Also who else got the idea that when he was writing his prayer on the card to the balloon it was "Please God, make it all stop"?[/quote]

Ha ha ha, that's EXACTLY what I thought!

I really don't think we can hold this against His Eminence. We KNOW he is orthodox, and let's face it--better priests (ahem--JP2) than he have been implicated in abuses that were just as grievous. Let's just thank God that, as Father Neuhaus says, "the silly season is just about over."

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1704362' date='Nov 18 2008, 06:01 PM']+J.M.J.+
i honestly don't think it is valid matter. did you see the close-up of it? :ohno: plus, what was up with the guitar riff right in the middle of the Eucharistic prayer? :huh:[/quote]
It looks illicit (for the Roman rite), but I can't say for sure from the video that it is invalid matter.

Next to the videos of the clown masses, this is by FAR the grossest collection of abuses I have ever seen.

And yeah; that almost certainly looks like fluffy white pita bread.

ya, its about the worst I have seen. Leavened bread is I think allowed in some places so I am not sure whether that is an abuse or not. I know the question of leavened vs. unleavened was a part of the Orthodox/Catholic split.

I will say that at this Mass was not the place for the Cardinal to make a statement. Hopefully he will rectify the situation. This is gravely scandalous! I was sickened as well. There is no way these young people are gaining the neccessary awe for the body and blood of our Lord!