An Old School Catholic Message Board

Spiritual Directors

Maria Faustina

Carmeliteheart726

[quote name='praying4carmel' post='1703478' date='Nov 17 2008, 05:34 PM']Habited or No, the Holy Spirit does the work. My Unhabited Sister from Dominicans of Springfield IL is wonderful, I would not trade her in for anything.

Sinsinawa Dominicans are fine too.

Just my 2Cents.

P. Nancy[/quote]

I appreciate the reply. I realized I might have been a little too discriminating. I will use the Sinsinawa Dominican if necessary. I just discovered that a Monsignor that I know and respect (he knows my family real well too) does spiritual direction so I plan to call him first thing in the morning. If he can't do it, I will inquire about the sister. :D

the lords sheep

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1703022' date='Nov 17 2008, 04:06 AM']Hey VS Pham,
I know I've asked about spiritual directors like a thousand times, but I have a few more questions. For those of you that have or have had them, is a spiritual director a major part of your discernment? What do you look for in a spiritual director? When/Where do usually speak to her/him? And as far as applying to a religious community, how necessary is it to have spoken with a priest about your vocation?

Thanks Guys.
Prayers+Love in Christ,
Maria Faustina[/quote]

My SD has been an integral part in my spiritual life, not quite as much in my discernment (although he's been very involved!) as with my spiritual maturity and prayer (the most important part of discernment!)
I looked for someone that I could trust, that I felt like could challenge me on both a spiritual and intellectual level. We usually met at my school in an extra office once a month or so.
In applying to a religious community, it varies order to order. Many don't require that you've spoken to a priest so much that you've spoken to someone (religious, deacon, youth/campus minister) who will vouch for the fact that you are serious about the choice and mature enough (psychologically, spiritually and emotionally- since they're all tied together!) to be making that choice.
God bless you! (I asked St. Anthony to help me find a director... my SD wasn't lost, but I didn't really know where to search, and then someone suggested him, and I was like, OH, OF COURSE!)
In Prayer,
Lauren