An Old School Catholic Message Board

Murder, Abortion And Voting

Resurrexi

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just my opinion, but I think we all inherently know that life is sacred and it's wrong to kill. I don't think that we inherently know that an unborn child is a life - it is, but it's not blatantly obvious. You have to be taught.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1701820' date='Nov 14 2008, 11:01 PM']Wishful thinking...[/quote]
I stand refuted.

Click on the link to read a homily by a Benedictine priest, covering the topic of abortion, just before the election.

[url="http://www.stlouisabbey.org/publications/homilies/augustine20081026.pdf"]http://www.stlouisabbey.org/publications/h...ine20081026.pdf[/url]

I think a person's conscience points out the evil of all three. It is when conscience has been tainted by sin that natural law disappears from a person's heart.

I think a person's conscience would spell out the evil of all three. It is only when a conscience has been deadened by sin after sin, that it gives a warped idea.
But deep down everyone knows murder, abortion, and voting for a pro-abort are absolutely wrong.

One must define ordinary circumstances... i thought extraordinary circumstances to mean some sort of psychological problem such as schizophrenia.

One raised in some sort of native tribe etc could easily have such a distorted conscience that there would be complete and invincible ignorance of the evil of these actions.

As for voting, one not formed on material cooperation or who has no formation in Catholic Social Teaching could easily fail to realize the serious sinfulness.

I voted "No" to all three.

Note the poll says "under [b]ordinary[/b] circumstances" and [b]invincibly[/b] ignorant.
Invincible ignorance means that a person has no reasonable means of finding the truth about a matter.
While I can't presume to judge individual souls, I think it safe to say that the vast majority of the American population (and especially Catholics) are not in fact invincibly ignorant of the evil of abortion.

I don't believe any person under ordinary circumstances is invincibly ignorant of the evil of murder - this is part of the natural law written on the hearts of men. We can blind ourselves to it by our own evil choices.

I think over 99% of the ignorance about abortion is in fact willful ignorance and ignorance due to laziness, rather than true invincible ignorance.
The facts about abortion and about unborn human life are today readily available to anyone who takes the time to do a minimum amount of research - either by a quick search on the internet, or a visit to the local library or pregnancy center. It is easy enough also to find what the Church teaches on this matter. For most people, it is not impossible to find the facts; even though many people may be too intellectually slothful to do so.

And most Americans today are at the very least aware that there is a serious moral controversy concerning abortion, and would thus be obligated to learn both "sides" of the issue, and thus learn the truth.

I'm afraid most so-called "pro-choicers," while many are indeed ignorant, are in reality ignorant by choice. This is especially true of the "pro-choice Catholics" one often encounters.
They ignore or keep themselves blind to the truth about abortion because they put things such as convenience or political affiliation ahead of learning and adhering to the truth.
To steal from Algore, the evil of abortion is an "inconvenient truth" for many.

I don't think many people on judgment day will honestly be able to give good reasons for not finding out, knowing and following the truth about abortion, or for supporting this evil by their actions or votes.