An Old School Catholic Message Board

Conclusive Proof That Polar Warming Is Being Caused By Humans

Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor

[url="http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081030144618.htm"]http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/...81030144618.htm[/url]

ScienceDaily (Nov. 6, 2008) — New research by the University of East Anglia (UEA) has demonstrated for the first time that human activity is responsible for significant warming in both polar regions.

The findings by a team of scientists led by UEA's Climatic Research Unit was recently published online by the Nature Geoscience.
Previous studies have observed rises in both Arctic and Antarctic temperatures over recent decades but have not formally attributed the changes to human influence due to poor observation data and large natural variability. Moreover, the International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) had concluded that Antarctica was the only continent where human-induced temperature changes had yet to be detected.
Now, a newly updated data-set of land surface temperatures and simulations from four new climate models show that temperature rises in both polar regions are not consistent with natural climate variability alone and are directly attributable to human influence.
The results demonstrate that human activity has already caused significant warming, with impacts on polar biology, indigenous communities, ice-sheet mass balance and global sea level.
"This is an important work indeed," said Dr Alexey Karpechko of UEA's Climatic Research Unit.
"Arctic warming has previously been emphasized in several publications, although not formally attributed to human activity. However in Antarctica, such detection was so far precluded by insufficient data available. Moreover circulation changes caused by stratospheric ozone depletion opposed warming over most of Antarctica and made the detection even more difficult.
"Since the ozone layer is expected to recover in the future we may expect amplifying Antarctic warming in the coming years."
Authors of the article 'Attribution of polar warming to human influence' include Nathan Gillett (UEA/Environment Canada), Phil Jones (UEA), Alexey Karpechko (UEA), Daithi Stone (University of Oxford/Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research), Peter Scott (Met Office Hadley Centre), Toru Nozawa (National Institute for Environmental Studies, Japan), Gabriele Hegerl (University of Edinburgh), and Michael Wehner (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, California).

MC IMaGiNaZUN

Well if we (not individuals) are causing this, are we going to do anything about it?

(there is NO JUDGMENT AGAINST YOU in the above statement)

btw I also do not see the conclusive proof in the article. Of course I am not a scientist

shalom
bro mark

Edited by MC IMaGiNaZUN

Wow, if the University of East Anglia says it, it must be true. I read stuff that comes from them all the time!

Oh wait...

Doesn't matter what is causing it, we need to start putting our money and effort into adapting to it rather than studying it or fighting about it.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='KnewInTheTrinity' post='1696280' date='Nov 6 2008, 09:51 PM']Global warming is a bunch of hooplah.
:mellow:

Read some stuff by David Bellamy...
^_^[/quote]
Oh, gosh, I see the light now...

Or not.

[quote]Now, a newly updated data-set of land surface temperatures and simulations from four new climate models show that temperature rises in both polar regions are not consistent with natural climate variability alone and are directly attributable to human influence.[/quote]

I wonder what the data used to determine the models were, what is 'consistent natural climate variability', and what exactly are the human influences? I'm not exactly sure how theoretical models can exactly 'conclusively' prove something. I'll try and find a copy of the journal, hopefully it has the full paper.

I do like how one of the author's was quoted as saying it's important work... I'd hope the author thought so if they spent their time on it!

Though, I'll take the words of one of my professors to heart... Could there be global warming? Maybe... There is a lot of research left for us to do... But ignore Al Gore. ^_^

Edited by CatholicCid

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1696414' date='Nov 6 2008, 11:04 PM']I wonder what the data used to determine the models were, what is 'consistent natural climate variability', and what exactly are the human influences? I'm not exactly sure how theoretical models can exactly 'conclusively' prove something. I'll try and find a copy of the journal, hopefully it has the full paper.

I do like how one of the author's was quoted as saying it's important work... I'd hope the author thought so if they spent their time on it!

Though, I'll take the words of one of my professors to heart... Could there be global warming? Maybe... There is a lot of research left for us to do... But ignore Al Gore. ^_^[/quote]
[url="http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v1/n11/full/ngeo338.html"]http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v1/n11/full/ngeo338.html[/url]

[quote name='Slappo' post='1696339' date='Nov 6 2008, 11:24 PM']I support global warming. I live in Alaska and it's too cold in the winter.

TAKE THAT! BOO YA![/quote]
I used to live in Kodiak.