An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Translation Do You Prefer?

Guest Jon

[color="#008080"]Thank you - if this has been asked before my apologies.
I am not a scholar. I realize others here have studied for 30 years.
Your input would be very respected. I have been studying the Bible since Jan '06.

I am onto something very exciting, but before I discuss it here I'd like to get
input on different translations.
I respect them all so far. And go to all of them. Is one better than another and why?
Thank so much, I can't tell you how this helps me. I've never asked this before.

I hope I am even in the right section. Newbies can make mistakes.

TY in advance. Love you all :)
Jon[/color]

The NAB is most familiar because it is what I grew up hearing, just ignore the footnotes. For scholarly work, I use the RSV. I don't like the NRSV because they inclusive languaged it. It's kind of the PC version.

Archaeology cat

I like the Jerusalem Bible, but don't own that one; I do own the NRSV-CE, and would prefer the RSV-CE. I also own the NASB; since it is a very literal translation, it helped me a bit with translating Hebrew if I got stuck.

I like the RSV (Catholic Edition), but I am still fond of the KJV because it is the translation I grew up with, and its New Testament is based upon the Byzantine text (i.e., the so-called Textus Receptus).

Side-by-side comparison of several translations leads me to believe that the New American Bible is the most literal. I prefer the NAB for personal reading.

The (New) Jerusalem Bible is pretty and poetic, though. I'd use that where the sound of the language might matter.

[quote name='philothea' post='1690901' date='Nov 1 2008, 01:04 PM']Side-by-side comparison of several translations leads me to believe that the New American Bible is the most literal. I prefer the NAB for personal reading.[/quote]
The NAB, like many modern translations (including the RSV), is based on textual reconstruction, and so I do not believe it is possible to say it is the "most literal." Moreover, the NAB Old Testament is based upon the Hebrew text rather than the LXX, and I find that to be a major deficiency.

princessgianna

Jerusalem Bible. a convert priest (from Lutheranism) who i know said the Jerusalem was the best translation he has found.

There's an article from Catholic Answers that talks about this subject.

[url="http://www.catholic.com/library/bible_translations_guide.asp"]http://www.catholic.com/library/bible_translations_guide.asp[/url]

[color="#000080"]Wow, I had no idea I would learn so much so fast.

I never heard of the Ignatius,Douxy-Rhiems and don't know what TEV stands for yet - but I will.

Seems as though the Jerusalem will be the one I get next. I have so many - and refer to all of them. Funny no one said anything about the Amplified. When I picked up my first one - an African-Am lady said, " I'd be careful of that one...they put things in there as their interpretation --ehemmm - I'd be careful about that one." But, I know many people refer to it in addition to others when wanting to clarify or magnify a verse.

Funny so many like the RSV -that's the one I started with in 2006 and has the most pen marks now - so I stay with it the most. Good.

I got a new Strong's Concordance for $5.00 at Goodwill -I'm on Cloud 9.

And thank you for the link,TT - great. :)
Should I get the Morman Bible?
Gotcha...;)

Thanks,
Jon[/color]

[quote name='Jon' post='1691347' date='Nov 2 2008, 04:51 AM'][color="#000080"]Should I get the Morman Bible?
[/color][/quote]

I wouldn't say it's necessary.

My favorite for personal study is the NRSV

My favorite for reading is the New Jerusalem Bible (hey, btw; I wonder what the English-speaking parishes in Europe will do now that "Yahweh" is not allowed in the liturgy?)

...as far as "study Bibles" go:

The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible series is absolutely superb.

Navarre just released a New Testament study bible.

The Catholic Study Bible, revised 2nd edition.