An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communities In The U.s. That Celebrate Mass In The Ef

TotusTuusMaria

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1679172' date='Oct 16 2008, 04:27 PM']Really? They've come up in discussions here before and I thought (but could well be wrong) that they were indeed in communion with the Church.[/quote]

Yeah, they have a unique position with Rome. Last time I requested information from the diocese of Colorado Springs they faxed me a document calling them a renegade community.

They have been talked about often here, but I don't believe they have ever been talked about and someone not mentioned and cleared that they are not, in fact, in union with Rome.

Maybe things have changed with them since the Muto Proprio. I have called the Diocese of Colorado Springs today to request information on if anything has changed with them. Perhaps I will receive a return phone call in the next day or so.

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Mari Therese' post='1679175' date='Oct 16 2008, 05:29 PM']I love the Opus Sanctorum Angelorum! We listened to their CDs while on retreat (Fr. Basil Nortz rocks!). They are based out of Assumption Grotto in Detroit. A great parish which practices the Novus ordo in Latin and Mass in the EF. It's chock full of Catholicky goodness ;)[/quote]

Yep! I love going there for Mass! It's a beautiful church!

• 2 weeks later...
TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1679186' date='Oct 16 2008, 04:42 PM']Yeah, they have a unique position with Rome. Last time I requested information from the diocese of Colorado Springs they faxed me a document calling them a renegade community.

They have been talked about often here, but I don't believe they have ever been talked about and someone not mentioned and cleared that they are not, in fact, in union with Rome.

Maybe things have changed with them since the Muto Proprio. I have called the Diocese of Colorado Springs today to request information on if anything has changed with them. Perhaps I will receive a return phone call in the next day or so.[/quote]

I called the diocese. A guy called me back a couple days ago. He said that they were in dialogue with this community, but that the community was still not in communion with the Bishop or Rome.

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1687893' date='Oct 28 2008, 02:47 AM']I called the diocese. A guy called me back a couple days ago. He said that they were in dialogue with this community, but that the community was still not in communion with the Bishop or Rome.[/quote]

I was told by these communities that they are in communion with Rome. As I've said before, if Rome doesn't see it that way, you're not.

I have a letter from the Pontifical Commission "Ecclesia Dei," saying, essentially, that talks with Fr. Ward had broken down, and everything was at a standstill.

We need their charisms to be in full communion with Rome. Problem is, they didn't go through the bishop--they just 'set up shop,' and they don't want to give up any privileges. The priests might have to give up saying the Mass, etc. I keep thinking that would only be temporary, and would be a sign of obedience to the bishop, to be reinstated in due time.

Pray for the situation, that the powers-that-be there would stop being stubborn, because that's what it amounts to.

Blessings,
Gemma

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='MandyKhatoon' post='1676353' date='Oct 13 2008, 04:57 PM']The Sister Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus also do along with the Carmelites in Dallas who sometimes have it I'm sure.

Edit:
I think the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church sometimes have the ef as well.[/quote]

There are a High Mass and a Low Mass every Sunday [i]at[/i] the Carmel in Dallas, but the [i]nuns' [/i]Mass is another one, earlier in the day. It's really that Mater Dei Latin Mass Community uses the nuns' chapel, [i]not [/i]that the nuns have a Tridentine Mass. The former Bishop (I think Margaret Clare told me this) said Mater Dei could use their chapel but the nuns were not to attend the Mass. Although, I think they are allowed to assist sometimes, and further, I know that 2 Clothing ceremonies have been said by the FSSP priest with a Low Mass, where the Sisters did attend and receive Holy Communion.

(Their Office is also in English.)

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1693566' date='Nov 5 2008, 12:36 AM']There are a High Mass and a Low Mass every Sunday [i]at[/i] the Carmel in Dallas, but the [i]nuns' [/i]Mass is another one, earlier in the day. It's really that Mater Dei Latin Mass Community uses the nuns' chapel, [i]not [/i]that the nuns have a Tridentine Mass. The former Bishop (I think Margaret Clare told me this) said Mater Dei could use their chapel but the nuns were not to attend the Mass. Although, I think they are allowed to assist sometimes, and further, I know that 2 Clothing ceremonies have been said by the FSSP priest with a Low Mass, where the Sisters did attend and receive Holy Communion.

(Their Office is also in English.)[/quote]

Thank you for the information. I didn't know that! :)

TotusTuusMaria

I received a letter from the Brooklyn Carmel last night. They have had the EF once or twice and they have the Novus Ordo in Latin a couple times every two or so weeks. Divine Liturgy is always in Latin and they sing Lauds and Vespers in Gregorian Chant on Sundays and Feast Days.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Desert Walker' post='1692733' date='Nov 4 2008, 12:39 AM']These guys use the EF.

www.carmelitemonks.org[/quote]

I believe they are one of the two Carmelite monasteries that have Mass in the Carmelite Rite, not the EF. Have you visited there?

Edited by TotusTuusMaria