An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should You Tell Your Children About Santa?

eagle_eye222001

Santa and the children  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1673898' date='Oct 10 2008, 12:44 PM']Santa Claus is not something to be joking about <_<[/quote]
No kidding.

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lZFSZguyCkE&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lZFSZguyCkE&...feature=related[/url]

puellapaschalis

[quote name='JustJ' post='1676077' date='Oct 13 2008, 10:08 AM']I don't think it's a good thing to let your kids think it's okay to believe in things that don't exist and be rewarded for it. :saint:[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote name='JustJ' post='1676077' date='Oct 13 2008, 09:08 AM']I don't think it's a good thing to let your kids think it's okay to believe in things that don't exist and be rewarded for it. :saint:[/quote]
What do you mean mate? :unsure: It’s good behaviour that gets rewarded, not the belief in Santa. I think it’s cool to let my kids believe in things that don’t exist.

If my daughter wants to make believe she has an imaginary friend with vanilla ice-cream hair, then why not? How boring would a child’s life be without make believe: ‘No, my poppet, the moon really isn’t made of coagulated milk, it’s surface is made of oxygen, magnesium, and silicon among other elements- there is definitely no calcium. So go to bed and have dreams of the giant impact theory instead of the moon mice’. :sadder:

Archaeology cat

[quote name='misereremi' post='1676273' date='Oct 13 2008, 09:00 PM']So go to bed and have dreams of the giant impact theory instead of the moon mice’. :sadder:[/quote]
I always told my little brother there were space chickens on the moon. :mellow:

[quote name='misereremi' post='1676273' date='Oct 13 2008, 02:00 PM']So go to bed and have dreams of the giant impact theory instead of the moon mice’. :sadder:[/quote]

Impact theory is less prone to cause nightmares.

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1678048' date='Oct 15 2008, 08:15 AM']Impact theory is less prone to cause nightmares.[/quote]
it's not impact theory, it's 'giant' impact theory. Giants are scarier than little mice having a mozzarella party on the moon. <_<

In my family we all knew that Christmas was about Jesus and the Nativity. But for the younger kids (me too) Santa was just there. Where we were little at first we believed that he exsisted and brought presents and stuff, and that was ok as long as we knew what Christmas was really about. Then as we got older Santa was just a holiday "ornament"?

and then around the begining of the year we put our shoes at the door and got like change or something.

i personaly think this is a better time to buy gifts then at christmas time since everything is on sale. and I think i would have gifts at this time for my kids so we could take away the consept of presents at Christmas and make it only about family and God. :)

[quote name='MakeYouThinkTwo' post='1685383' date='Oct 24 2008, 06:28 PM']I have a fourth option to be added.

Don't tell children about Santa ever. What they are never told won't hurt them. When the ask questions, you say, we don't believe that.

I would take the religious conitations out of Christmas out as well, since the last year, I found out first hand what Christmas/Yule is really all about.

I would use it as a family holiday, where I would relax with my wife and children, sharing about Jesus and God, like I would do any day of the year anyways.[/quote]
Hmm...so fundies, or fun-dies rather, really live up to their name, eh?
I mean, we wouldn't like to have some fun with an imaginary character once a year, right? Heck, while we're at it, let's replace all of the Disney movies with Nova DVDs and CNN Headline news.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

MakeYouThinkTwo

[quote]Hmm...so fundies, or fun-dies rather, really live up to their name, eh?
I mean, we wouldn\'t like to have some fun with an imaginary character once a year, right? Heck, while we\'re at it, let\'s replace all of the Disney movies with Nova DVDs and CNN Headline news.[/quote]
[mod] you don\'t get to post here anymore--HSM[/mod]

Edited by homeschoolmom

MakeYouThinkTwo

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1685429' date='Oct 24 2008, 08:09 PM']I think you should tell kids about Satan, but only in a way that doesn't freak them out.[/quote]

[mod]you don't get to post here[/mod]

Saint Therese

It wasn't a typo.
I wouldn't tell my kids about Santa jut because, why? The story of the nativity is wondrful enough without some stupid myth.

[quote name='MakeYouThinkTwo' post='1685397' date='Oct 24 2008, 07:40 PM']Ohhh, I think I offended someone for just having an opinion other than the mob mentality.

Should I then become just like everybody else, just like the book 1984! He thinks differently, send the thought police to re-adjust him![/quote]
You didn't offend me; I just find your point of view exceptionally stupid is all.

And say, it's been a while since I've read 1984...does Big Brother prohibit multiple accounts to circumvent banning as well?