An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liturgical Music

Resurrexi

Guitars and Keyboards.

Why is it always guitars and keyboards???

My objection to "Contemprary Catholic Liturgical Music" is threefold:

A.) Most of it isn't very good. Certainly not good enough for Mass.

B.) Most of it isn't very Catholic. Some of it is outright heretical.
Protestant-sourced (like that written by Haugen) isn't appropriate either, for many
reasons.

C.) It's used as a subsititute for the near 2 millenia of sacred music that has been suppressed, abandoned and forgotten.

"Lord of The Dance" (ecchhh) could easily be replaced by [i]non nobis[/i].

Note: I am not of the Latin-only-or-you'll-Burn crowd. It's just that traditional sacred music is the only thing left standing when you eliminate the retarded stuff. If someone can come up with something of equivalent merit, it should of course be used [u]alongside[/u] Chant and Plainsong.

Edited by MichaelF

:sign: Benedicat vos omnipotens deus Pater et Filius et Spiritus Sanctus

I got that from an underground bishop this summer. Yay for Latin!

I'd just like to point out that Sacrosanctum Concilium, although allowing the vernacular, specifically states in article 54

[quote]Nevertheless steps should be taken so that the faithful may also be able to say or to sing
together in Latin those parts of the Ordinary of the Mass which pertain to them.[/quote]

Has anyone heard Latin mass parts with P&W for the procession, preparation, communion, and sending forth songs? :sadder:

If the Church says we ought to know latin, we should assume that we ought to use it semi-frequently, and if we're using latin.... please no P&W...

Even worse is when they do P&W with an organ... music ought to compliment the mass, not be horribly distracting as one wonders what sort of nonsensical sound is being made in the church.

P&W has its place in the Church, but it isn't mass.

Back to studying for my Liturgy mid-term tomorrow!

We'll go from rap and hip-hop in masses to

Lector: The word of the Lord.
Response: Word.

Priest: The Gospel of the Lord
Response: Wooowooo!

[quote name='Slappo' post='1674227' date='Oct 10 2008, 10:51 AM']We'll go from rap and hip-hop in masses to

Response: Wooowooo![/quote]

Its never going to happen. lol.

• 2 weeks later...

[color="blue"]I really appreciate gregorian chants and church music, but then again I am an odd cookie. :wacko:

My own thoughts... Heavy metal and hip hop genres of music and the elements of music itself combined with the lyrical content work together to compose the song. The style of the song and the lyrical content needs to make sense and work together. We wouldn't match a mourning song with a fast tempo and cheery major chords that wouldn't make sense! Likewise Catholic Hymns expressing the greatness and adoration of God would be sung with reverence and with a composition that is compatible to that. Undoubtedly there are Christian artists out there who combine Rock and worship together, that is fine however for the cultural context of a mass rock music would be displaced.
The Church should not so much adjust the mass to suit the culture otherwise many other aspects of the mass would also be changed to 'attact the youth' why not have pizza and coke and a PS2 at mass if that is what you are after? Once you allow one element to change, the others will follow suit using that principle.
I'm confident that the youth would better appreciate the authentic mass if they better understand it and come closer to God.
I go to mass to worship our God, not to have a 'party' and a "good time"

Darky [/color]

[quote name='Slappo' post='1674227' date='Oct 10 2008, 10:51 AM']We'll go from rap and hip-hop in masses to

Response: Wooowooo![/quote]
:lol_roll:

• 1 year later...

People's understanding of the Mass is so screwed up that even very good Catholics think "hey, let them have whatever music they want aslong as the pews are full!". The Mass is the re-presentation of Christ's crucifixion on Golgotha. When He says "Do this is memory of me" he is commanding us to remember His body "given up" on the cross and his blood "shed" for us all. The sacrificial nature of the Mass obviously makes certain types of music and behaviour inappropriate. Do you think Our Lady was clapping her hands and grooving out when she was kneeling at the foot of her son's cross?

[quote name='CatherineM' date='19 September 2008 - 05:46 PM' timestamp='1221868012' post='1659524']
In my 46 years of attending Catholic churches, the time that the largest percentage of teens were voluntarily attending, and participating in the mass, was in the early 1970's. That's when we had an assistant pastor who was young, long haired, bearded, and they had drums and electric guitars for the music. He wore the wildest vestments too. The church was rocking and fun.
[/quote]

This is an old post. But in my experience, the Church and the Mass will never compete with 'rocking fun' because its apples and oranges. I don't doubt that the largest percentage of teens voluntarily attending and participating in the Mass occured in the early 70s. These were kids who were raised Catholic and were being given the freedom to bend worship in ways that excited them. That flower blossomed and wilted. The teen religious fervor of the 70s didn't survive because it wasn't in sync with the preceding 2000yrs of liturgical tradition. While I don't want to stereotype an entire generation, its plain for me to see that in plenty of cases these excited catholic teens in the 70s grew up to be the Cafeteria Catholics who raised my own generation into a confused and liturgically/historically disconnected Catholicism. It has been my experience that people/priests/parishes who delight in liturgical novelties often maintain similar moral/theological heterodoxies as well.

And this StThomasMore guy was awfully snarky. :ohno:

:rolleyes:

Edited by Veridicus

I though he was kind of tame on this thread. ;)

There were no caps-lock abusing rants about John Paul II and liberals. :D

Hehe, sorry. I'll stop. I'm mean.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='03 February 2010 - 11:20 PM' timestamp='1265260808' post='2051009']
I though he was kind of tame on this thread. ;)

There were no caps-lock abusing rants about John Paul II and liberals. :D

Hehe, sorry. I'll stop. I'm mean.
[/quote]

YOU MEAN THE HEATHEN JOHN PAUL II OF ILL REPUTE AND MARY WORSHIPING AND PHONY CHURCH TRADITIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!1 :topsy:

[quote name='Veridicus' date='03 February 2010 - 11:43 PM' timestamp='1265262192' post='2051027']
YOU MEAN THE HEATHEN JOHN PAUL II OF ILL REPUTE AND MARY WORSHIPING AND PHONY CHURCH TRADITIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!1 :topsy:
[/quote]
HE BROKE THE 150-NESS OF THE ROSARYQ!!!!!!!

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='03 February 2010 - 11:46 PM' timestamp='1265262363' post='2051030']
HE BROKE THE 150-NESS OF THE ROSARYQ!!!!!!!
[/quote]

SACRE BLEU!!!!!1 NOT THE DOGMATIC !50NESS OF THE ROSARY!?!?!? WE DO NOT NEEDZ MOAR DECADESESS! BLASPHEME!

It's an irony actually because I started out posting on that thread about how I didn't think JP2 should be called 'the Great' currently. And then that DAMIANO guy shows up and I end up posting only in JP2's defense. That made me feel very reasoned and moderate in my views. :smokey: