An Old School Catholic Message Board

Apathetic Catholic Or Faithful Protestant?

MissyP89

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My apologies if this has been beaten to death; I haven't seen it since I've joined, and that was a year and a half ago.

I've often wanted to gauge the pham's opinion on this issue, which is probably a pretty hairy one.

Would it be more beneficial for a person to be Catholic and apathetic, or anti-Catholic/Protestant? I think of many of my Catholic friends when I say this, who resent the Church for various reasons, yet desire to follow Christ.

Would it be better for them to leave the Church, or still call themselves a Catholic but disregard all the Church teaches? Should a faithful Catholic be permissive to someone leaving the Church if it means that person will develop a stronger bond with the Lord, or should we try to convince them otherwise?

Discuss. My opinions will follow after things get going.

Edited by MissyP89

Er, I meant to vote, "A faithful Protestant Christian against Catholic views" but I apparently clicked null vote. :doh:

Anyway, I think it's always better for someone to be trying their hardest to find the truth. "Lukewarm" gets some pretty serious condemnation in scripture.

I've known people raised apathetically Catholic, who as young adults found some passionate protestants, joined them, and for the first time discovered actual Christianity.

And then realized that their Protestant church wasn't quite right, and came back to Catholicism, at last appreciating it.

[quote name='philothea' post='1659305' date='Sep 19 2008, 03:08 PM']Er, I meant to vote, "A faithful Protestant Christian against Catholic views" but I apparently clicked null vote. :doh:

Anyway, I think it's always better for someone to be trying their hardest to find the truth. "Lukewarm" gets some pretty serious condemnation in scripture.

I've known people raised apathetically Catholic, who as young adults found some passionate protestants, joined them, and for the first time discovered actual Christianity.

And then realized that their Protestant church wasn't quite right, and came back to Catholicism, at last appreciating it.[/quote]

good point, this is pretty much what i went through, and now im back to the church and do appreciate it more....

To those given greater gifts, also comes greater responsibility. Once you know the truth, and turn your back to it, you choose to walk in the dark.

Is it better for a rad-trad to accept Vatican II out of obedience to Rome, or should she be true to her feelings and reject it? Which is the lesser evil?

Edited by mortify

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1659397' date='Sep 19 2008, 04:23 PM']I don't think it would be evil at all for her to accept Vatican II out of obedience to Rome, rather, it would be a good thing.[/quote]

:rolleyes:

For the curious, I voted for the Protestant. I think there is a greater chance for salvation for those outside the Truth than for those within it who, like CatherineM said, are held to a higher standard. To know the Truth as a Catholic does and reject it is grave indeed.

However, if the Catholic was dying it's likely he would call a priest and receive the Sacraments, in which case (if he received them worthily and then died before committing any other mortal sin) he would be saved.

Edited by StThomasMore

I did think to put a disclaimer that for someone dying, being an apathetic Catholic might be better, but I'm pretty sure that's not the spirit of the question.

We don't need to have qualifications if the Church has spoken on the matter. Not saying anything either way to answer the question, but I don't know why people here are so caught up on relying on ourselves when there is no need to do so.

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1659520' date='Sep 19 2008, 06:44 PM']We don't need to have qualifications if the Church has spoken on the matter. Not saying anything either way to answer the question, but I don't know why people here are so caught up on relying on ourselves when there is no need to do so.[/quote]
Oh please. :)) I'm not talking university credentials or something. Qualified by God.