An Old School Catholic Message Board

Add/adhd

rachael

Don John of Austria

[quote name='rachael' post='1653453' date='Sep 11 2008, 08:58 PM']I had twice a day recess. :unsure:[/quote]

Really? When did that end? and how old are you?

Because I can assure you in my day there was no twice a day recess, and recess stopped after 2nd grade. Kids today have SO much more down time than we ever did. My mother, who went to a 4 room rural school had no recess after early childhood, they did have an hour lunch where they walked home to eat with their mother but no recess. There is a lot more recess in schools now that there was in my childhood, yet now is when we have all the ADD and ADHD.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1653456' date='Sep 11 2008, 10:05 PM']Really? When did that end? and how old are you?

Because I can assure you in my day there was no twice a day recess, and recess stopped after 2nd grade. Kids today have SO much more down time than we ever did. My mother, who went to a 4 room rural school had no recess after early childhood, they did have an hour lunch where they walked home to eat with their mother but no recess. There is a lot more recess in schools now that there was in my childhood, yet now is when we have all the ADD and ADHD.[/quote]
The difference is kids today don't get out to play like they used to, as parents are afraid to let the kids out of the house. The little bundles of energy have to expend their energy somewhere, and nowadays school is the only option. When I was little we had 1 hour for lunch, and as soon as we were done eating we could go in the schoolyard and play. It made the afternoons much easier for the teachers. Plus we all had to walk to school unless we were more than 1 mile from school, or lived over the hill where the buses couldn't go. Walking 9/10s of a mile in the snow tends to tire you out.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1653456' date='Sep 11 2008, 09:05 PM']Really? When did that end? and how old are you?

Because I can assure you in my day there was no twice a day recess, and recess stopped after 2nd grade. Kids today have SO much more down time than we ever did. My mother, who went to a 4 room rural school had no recess after early childhood, they did have an hour lunch where they walked home to eat with their mother but no recess. There is a lot more recess in schools now that there was in my childhood, yet now is when we have all the ADD and ADHD.[/quote]
It ended around 3rd grade...and I'm 21.

So, are we basing my diagnoses on the fact that I had twice a day recess? :mellow:

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1653461' date='Sep 11 2008, 09:13 PM']I had twice a day recess until 6th grade, that's about 1974.[/quote]
I now know your age. :evil:

Don John of Austria

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1653461' date='Sep 11 2008, 09:13 PM']I had twice a day recess until 6th grade, that's about 1974.[/quote]

But your Canadian---- you don't really count you know :saint:

[quote name='rachael' post='1653470' date='Sep 11 2008, 08:22 PM']I now know your age. :evil:[/quote]

I'm 46 1/2 this month. If you don't believe me, you can whack a leg and count my rings.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1653467' date='Sep 11 2008, 09:16 PM']The difference is kids today don't get out to play like they used to, as parents are afraid to let the kids out of the house. The little bundles of energy have to expend their energy somewhere, and nowadays school is the only option. When I was little we had 1 hour for lunch, and as soon as we were done eating we could go in the schoolyard and play. It made the afternoons much easier for the teachers. Plus we all had to walk to school unless we were more than 1 mile from school, or lived over the hill where the buses couldn't go. Walking 9/10s of a mile in the snow tends to tire you out.[/quote]
Y'all got an hour?! We only got like half an hour...even in elementary school. <_<

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1653472' date='Sep 11 2008, 09:23 PM']I'm 46 1/2 this month. If you don't believe me, you can whack a leg and count my rings.[/quote]
A fellow March birthday! :o

Edited by rachael

Don John of Austria

[quote name='rachael' post='1653470' date='Sep 11 2008, 09:22 PM']It ended around 3rd grade...and I'm 21.

So, are we basing my diagnoses on the fact that I had twice a day recess? :mellow:[/quote]

Not at all. I simply don't think the amount of recess has much to do with ADHD or ADD. I think it has a lot to do with other aspects of our society, but not recess.

Edit: sorry my post are kind of short and not overly explainitory--- I am posting on breaks from boarding up my house. Next time I'll get kilroy to help before I get her to evacuate.

Edited by Don John of Austria

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1653475' date='Sep 11 2008, 09:26 PM']Not at all. I simply don't think the amount of recess has much to do with ADHD or ADD. I think it has a lot to do with other aspects of our society, but not recess.

Edit: sorry my post are kind of short and not overly explainitory--- I am posting on breaks from boarding up my house. Next time I'll get kilroy to help before I get her to evacuate.[/quote]
Ah. I was confused then.

[quote name='rachael' post='1653478' date='Sep 11 2008, 10:32 PM']Ah. I was confused then.[/quote]
THe thing about recess is that little kids, particularly boys are bundles of raw energy. If they have no way to burn off some steam, they just can't sit still. If they can't sit still they are many times given a diagnosis instead of simple exercise and discipline.

Yeah. Alot of my friends in high school were diagnosed with ADD or ADHD when they were younger, but they eventually grew out of it by the time they were in high school.

My school had 3 recesseses....(ignore my spelling)

kinda

we had our break(about 15min) then lunch(45min) and then P.E. which was fun. But they weren't just breaks cause being in an open field high school, there was always people running around every chance they get. :idontknow:

[quote name='rachael' post='1653426' date='Sep 11 2008, 08:27 PM']Strattera. The first night on it wasn't too nice, but it's been smooth sailing since then.[/quote]

Aha, a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. Looks good. :thumbsup:

Archaeology cat

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1653446' date='Sep 12 2008, 01:46 AM']I suspect that if we brought back twice a day recess for grade school, the rate of ADD would go down.[/quote]
Wouldn't that be nice. Though we only had 1 recess, and I'd settle for that. The school I taught in, I wasn't allowed to take the students out for recess until after FCAT (which is in March). And they wondered why there were so many that just couldn't be still. :rollseyes:

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1653447' date='Sep 12 2008, 01:48 AM']I suspect if we brought paddling back the rate of ADD would go down.[/quote]
Having taught in a school with paddling, I disagree. While discipline is definitely a factor in such behaviour, just instituting corporal punishment isn't a cure. Of course, I'm not too sure school-wide discipline was implemented in a way that made sense (I mean, kids who got in fights or attacked teachers were sent right back to class half the time), so I can't really speak of other situations. So perhaps my experience with this doesn't really allow me to give an objective view.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1653456' date='Sep 12 2008, 02:05 AM']Because I can assure you in my day there was no twice a day recess, and recess stopped after 2nd grade. Kids today have SO much more down time than we ever did. My mother, who went to a 4 room rural school had no recess after early childhood, they did have an hour lunch where they walked home to eat with their mother but no recess. There is a lot more recess in schools now that there was in my childhood, yet now is when we have all the ADD and ADHD.[/quote]
All depends on where you are. Even when we were allowed to have recess, I was required to have it completely structured, so no letting the kids run around and play as they wished (can't say I ever followed that rule, but I was technically supposed to do so). Most of my students stayed for the after-school programme, and so didn't go home until 6.00, and didn't really run around outside at home because it wasn't all that safe (bad neighbourhood).

[quote name='philothea' post='1653737' date='Sep 12 2008, 01:39 AM']Aha, a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. Looks good. :thumbsup:[/quote]
No stimulants. :woot:

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1653749' date='Sep 12 2008, 05:31 AM']Wouldn't that be nice. Though we only had 1 recess, and I'd settle for that. The school I taught in, I wasn't allowed to take the students out for recess until after FCAT (which is in March). And they wondered why there were so many that just couldn't be still. :rollseyes:[/quote]

AH, the FCAT. I'm well familiar with that. The St. Pete teachers literally spent the entire year teaching to the test instead of teaching the subject. That's why I originally started home schooling the older boy. He was in 4th grade, and they decided not to teach multiplication tables that year because they needed more class time to study for the test. I actually stood up in the principal's office (I was in a wheelchair at the time, so much more dramatic) and screamed, "that's it, we are out of here!" I sat back down, and made sure I scraped her door with my chair on the way out.