An Old School Catholic Message Board

Add/adhd

rachael

What are everyone's thoughts on ADD/ADHD? How about the medication that is often taken for it?

After many years (since around 8th grade) of having doctors and psychiatrists egging me on to get tested for them, I finally gave in earlier this year. I was subsequently diagnosed with ADHD, but I refused any medication. One of the main reasons was because of everybody telling me that I didn't have it or that the doctors were full of c[font="Arial"]ra[/font]p. :rolleyes: Anyways, I went back to class a few weeks ago, and I started noticing how badly I pay attention. I cannot sit still to save my life and cannot concentrate.

One of my worst issues is my impulse control...lately, it has been getting worse...MUCH worse. I went back to the doctor to discuss these. We agreed that I should go on medication for it. So far, so good.

It's unfortunate that people (including myself) feel like they shouldn't get help for things like this. I suffer from quite bad insomnia and I won't even go and see about getting sleeping tablets, which is really a silly thing to do because they're just another way of helping a medical problem. It's no different to someone who needs to take medication to keep their blood pressure in-check, or someone who needs insulin for diabetes.
It's also surprising how many children quite obviously have ADHD, but never get help for it because their parents think they're just 'acting up' or whatever.

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1653347' date='Sep 11 2008, 06:10 PM']It's unfortunate that people (including myself) feel like they shouldn't get help for things like this. I suffer from quite bad insomnia and I won't even go and see about getting sleeping tablets, which is really a silly thing to do because they're just another way of helping a medical problem. It's no different to someone who needs to take medication to keep their blood pressure in-check, or someone who needs insulin for diabetes.
It's also surprising how many children quite obviously have ADHD, but never get help for it because their parents think they're just 'acting up' or whatever.[/quote]
It really is. All the while, I keep on getting told how overdiagnosed it is. Maybe it is...in really young children. But in 21 year olds? Come on.

As for your insomnia, why haven't you gotten help? :P

What kind of medication did you get? (If you don't mind sharing.)

It seems like there's large variance in how useful/harmful ADHD meds are. I've had two friends put on Adderall, and that didn't turn out well. :(

I have severe ADD with some issues with ADHD. My Dad is ADHD and one of my brothers is ADHD, another one of my brothers is ADD. My mom and youngest brother have the opposite "in the zone" problem...they can't focus on anything but one thing until they're done.

Meds can help, especally for school. Its rough being a student and really truly forgetting homework. It also is good for just starting out in a new place...you have the wearwithall to really catch on.

And the impulse controle can be other things besides ADD/ADHD....there's lots of ways the brain can malfunction....

[quote name='rachael' post='1653150' date='Sep 11 2008, 03:30 PM']What are everyone's thoughts on ADD/ADHD? How about the medication that is often taken for it?

After many years (since around 8th grade) of having doctors and psychiatrists egging me on to get tested for them, I finally gave in earlier this year. I was subsequently diagnosed with ADHD, but I refused any medication. One of the main reasons was because of everybody telling me that I didn't have it or that the doctors were full of c[font="Arial"]ra[/font]p. :rolleyes: Anyways, I went back to class a few weeks ago, and I started noticing how badly I pay attention. I cannot sit still to save my life and cannot concentrate.

One of my worst issues is my impulse control...lately, it has been getting worse...MUCH worse. I went back to the doctor to discuss these. We agreed that I should go on medication for it. So far, so good.[/quote]
Would you refuse to take heart meds? insulin?
If the MDs have ruled out everything else - allergies, overactive thyroid etc, why would you not take something that helps?

[quote name='philothea' post='1653421' date='Sep 11 2008, 08:16 PM']What kind of medication did you get? (If you don't mind sharing.)

It seems like there's large variance in how useful/harmful ADHD meds are. I've had two friends put on Adderall, and that didn't turn out well. :([/quote]
Strattera. The first night on it wasn't too nice, but it's been smooth sailing since then.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1653423' date='Sep 11 2008, 08:19 PM']Would you refuse to take heart meds? insulin?
If the MDs have ruled out everything else - allergies, overactive thyroid etc, why would you not take something that helps?[/quote]
As stubborn as I am, it was mainly because I had people coming at me from all angles- telling me how I didn't have any issues and that it was all in my head or that I could just deal with it.

Another issue was if the meds would possibly up my seizure risk...I'm very cautious about such things.

Honestly, I am still getting used to the fact that I may have such an issue. Why do so many people deny it? What's the deal?

Edited by rachael

[quote name='rachael' post='1653426' date='Sep 11 2008, 09:27 PM']Strattera. The first night on it wasn't too nice, but it's been smooth sailing since then.

As stubborn as I am, it was mainly because I had people coming at me from all angles- telling me how I didn't have any issues and that it was all in my head or that I could just deal with it.

Another issue was if the meds would possibly up my seizure risk...I'm very cautious about such things.

Honestly, I am still getting used to the fact that I may have such an issue. Why do so many people deny it? What's the deal?[/quote]
It IS all in your head :D but that doesn't make it any less real, and remove the necessity of dealing with it.

ADD has been over diagnosed, particularly in young males. Instead of starting with firm consistant discipline, many teachers and parents start with drugs instead of using them when all else fails.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1653432' date='Sep 11 2008, 08:32 PM']It IS all in your head :D but that doesn't make it any less real, and remove the necessity of dealing with it.
.[/quote]
True. :P

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1653432' date='Sep 11 2008, 08:32 PM']ADD has been over diagnosed, particularly in young males. Instead of starting with firm consistant discipline, many teachers and parents start with drugs instead of using them when all else fails.[/quote]
And that's a shame. :ohno:

Edited by rachael

Don John of Austria

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1653432' date='Sep 11 2008, 08:32 PM']ADD has been over diagnosed, particularly in young males. Instead of starting with firm consistant discipline, many teachers and parents start with drugs instead of using them when all else fails.[/quote]

AMEN SISTER!!!! SHOUT IT FROM THE MOUNTIAN TOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1653436' date='Sep 11 2008, 09:38 PM']AMEN SISTER!!!! SHOUT IT FROM THE MOUNTIAN TOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
Shout Shout.!! :)

I think that ADD/ADHD are real diagnoses that can often be helped with medication. I have seen some kids be medicated for it simply because their parents want them easier to handle with their busy schedules. I think sometimes that schools push parents to medicate their kids for the same reasons.

I suspect that if we brought back twice a day recess for grade school, the rate of ADD would go down.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1653446' date='Sep 11 2008, 08:46 PM']I think that ADD/ADHD are real diagnoses that can often be helped with medication. I have seen some kids be medicated for it simply because their parents want them easier to handle with their busy schedules. I think sometimes that schools push parents to medicate their kids for the same reasons.

I suspect that if we brought back twice a day recess for grade school, the rate of ADD would go down.[/quote]

When exactly was there twice a day recess?

I suspect if we brought paddling back the rate of ADD would go down.