An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholicism In America. Getting Better Or Worse?

Guest Guadalupano

I think we are trying to find our way in an increasingly materialistic, hedonistic world. It's a hard balance to maintain sometimes between the majesty of the tradition and yet being accessible to modern members. I think we will be fine, just like we have been for the last 2000 years.

i was shocked when i found out that Americans actually have a pretty high Mass/church attendance rate, compared to countries such as Italy and France. i figured they would put us to shame, but unfortunately it is much, much worse.

running the race

I have felt both ways. But no matter how I'm feeling on any given day, I try and remember that the gates of hell will never prevail. :)) That's enough to keep me smiling (even if things aren't going so great).

I think it's getting better. I mean, the charismatic conference in Anaheim/Los Angeles this year did not have any liturgical dancing in the mass, the Catholic Church in America must be, has to be getting better.

princessgianna

It helps that there are a bunch of Catholic Hispanics are coming in though it is the only reason why Mass
attendance has stayed the same!
I think that as the Church keeps reforming herself to be as she really is meant to be then there will be a BIG drop
but those would be the Catholics who were on the border line to begin with of actually living their faith!
As Pope Benedict said when he became Pope he would rather have 2,000 faithful Catholics as opposed to 2,000,000 catholics were aren't faithful.

The better are getting better and the worse are getting worse...or so I would say. But after traveling to Europe, all I can say is that we "ain't no Europe"...

There are some solid pockets in Europe, but America is doing pretty well for the core Catholics remaining Orthodox. Our culture better resembles a Catholic culture than many European nations do. Abortion is actually an issue at hand here in the States.

Then again, there's Ireland...

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1650895' date='Sep 8 2008, 05:58 PM']As Pope Benedict said when he became Pope he would rather have 2,000 faithful Catholics as opposed to 2,000,000 catholics were aren't faithful.[/quote]

really? didn't know he said that. i guess that reinforces the idea that we aren't bent on herding up the numbers, but rather building up the Church. we aren't evangelization machines.. and we especially can't give what we don't have..

This question could be more clearly worded.

I think there is a slow but sure resurgence in Catholic orthodoxy in America, though it is often overlooked by the "mainstream" media. Truly solid Catholics remain a minority, but the numbers have been steadily growing over the past few decades. Enrollment is up at orthodox Catholic schools, as well as orthodox seminaries and convents, etc.

It is orthodox dioceses that are seeing strong mass attendance, vocations, etc., not liberal ones.

Liberal Catholicism tends to kill itself off, leading to apathy and people leaving the Church.
Dissident liberal groups like "Call to Action" are now composed almost entirely of people over 60, and have no future.
Orthodoxy is the future of the Catholic Church, both in America and elsewhere.

[quote name='Deb' post='1650841' date='Sep 8 2008, 06:08 PM']I think it is getting better and I think that it is going to keep getting better.[/quote]
Yup, things are looking good and getting better!

I have heard more than one catholic priest talk about the Pope John Paul the Great generation of solid orthodox Priests that are coming out of our seminaries. We have more and more Bishops speaking out against public officials that attempt to mislead on Church teaching. More American Bishops are focusing on what is most important about Catholicism, especially the Blessed Eucharist.

And we have Phatmass, and EWTN, and great Catholic movies--we are building a wonderful culture of life! We do have Rock for Life, and Catholic Christians in Hollywood that are happy to step up and represent their faith. We do, in fact, have great Catholics in the political scene as well.

Additionally, I do believe that the hundred years of testing that Pope Leo XIII saw in his vision, where the Devil was permitted a bit more influence, has come to an end. And I do believe that the spiritual pendulum is swinging in the opposite direction, so-to-speak.

I am totally optimistic about the future of the Church! I am totally optimistic about the future of humanity! Life is looking great :cool:

running the race

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1653268' date='Sep 11 2008, 05:30 PM']Additionally, I do believe that the hundred years of testing that Pope Leo XIII saw in his vision, where the Devil was permitted a bit more influence, has come to an end. And I do believe that the spiritual pendulum is swinging in the opposite direction, so-to-speak.[/quote]

Could somebody elaborate on this? I've never heard about it.