An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment For Life

AccountDeleted

AccountDeleted

Hello phatmass phamily - Nunsense here again! Well, I have spent nearly two months as a hermit with the wonderful Hermits of Bethlehem in Chester, NJ. They have all been wonderful to me, and the time in solitude with Our Lord has filled me with joy and peace. BUT, it is also clear to me that this is not my permanent home. Whereas for me personally, my Carmel had too little solitude, the Daughters of Mary had too little time for prayer, and Bethlehem has so much solitude that I miss people! :rolleyes: I am learning so much about myself though, and it turns out that I really, really love people - who would have thought it?

When I had to go out the other day on business (after 6 weeks in total solitude), I was amazed at how much love and joy I felt in being able to talk with people again! And I really wanted to be able to share Christ's love with each one of them. :grouphug:

So, as humbling as it is, I am on the move again. I have no idea where to go this time and so I have come to my online phamily to ask for advice and prayers yet again. :pray: Where to now?

At the moment I have no home, no job and no idea where to go next (God does like to keep me in suspense). So, any suggestions for good places to live (town or city or even just which state)? I am still discerning religious life of course, but in the meantime, I am looking on craigslist for live-in jobs either as a caregiver (my last job) or a ranch hand (I used to own my own horse ranch) - something that will give me a place to live while earning enough to eat. But I want to live in a diocese where the Bishop is a good shepherd :bishop: and the parishes have priests to say Mass (not just one priest for several parishes) - if possible - so that Mass is offered every day. Also, if there were some good spiritual directors around (perhaps a monastery nearby) then that would be wonderful too.

I am thinking of driving back to California, but while I am all the way out here in New Jersey, I thought there might be some really good places out this way instead? So, if any of you live in a simply wonderful place, let me know, and I could start looking on craigslist for a live-in job in that area. As it is, I am trying to search for jobs all across the US and the task is daunting and overwhelming! I have thought of going back into teaching (especially for a Catholic school) but that process takes a long time to get into, and I need something with accommodation sooner than that so have to find a live-in position for now.

The interesting thing that I have learned lately is that there are so many new communities springing up. Gemma, take heart with your foundations because you are not the only one trying to found new communities. I have spoken with several women who are trying to do the same thing, and I think it is because there are so many emerging charisms and because some of the older communities have become too rigid in their thinking (a little like the pharisees cleaning the outside of the cup and not the inside). I don't know how many will actually succeed, but the whole phenomenon is very interesting to me, and inspiring that so many people want to consecrate themselves to God. We have had some people here for discernment retreats and I am amazed at the variety of experiences in religious life that people have had, and that are available. So no one should ever be disheartened at not being able to find their "home" right away. Our Holy Father, Pope Benedict, when asked how many paths there were to God, said "As many as there are people." He did say that there was only one way, Jesus, but for every person there is an individual path to Him.

And the older communities that seem to be doing very well with vocations, are those who focus on traditional values while still being flexible and open to the Holy Spirit - what a wonderful time we are living in - to see such an increase in love for God. :bigclap:

So, please, prayers and advice are welcome either via email anniemac@calequus.com or PM. I am thinking of leaving here in the next couple of weeks, so timely advice would be appreciated. We don't have to burden the phorum with all your replies but any suggestions for more religious communities could be posted here - that might be valuable for others as well. Although I know the "perfect community" doesn't exist - I do know know that the shoe has to fit for each one individually. I obviously need a certain amount of solitude, and yet I have found that I miss the community aspect of praying at least parts of the Divine Office together - and having recreation together too, so we can become more of a family. I love the Carmelite spirituality of St John of the Cross, but I also love the Franciscan joyful spirit (and love for animals), the Benedictine love for chanting the Office (and their hospitality), and the Dominican love for study (go Thomas Aquinas!). Every charism is so beautiful because they all come from the Holy Spirit -- just too many choices - like a big banquet! :)) What's a person to do??

Well, all praise and glory and blessings to our most wonderful Lord and God. And praise God too for all of you. I have kept you all in my prayers, and now request that you remember me in yours.

In the loving heart of Jesus +
Annie

Well, Annie, if there's any consolation to this, you're learning where you DON'T belong, and that can be as beneficial as learning where you do. Keep looking--God is bound to bring you to a good home eventually, you're just taking the scenic route. :lol:

While I myself am called to marry (or am pretty certain), I'm not out to give advice on religious life. But--if only for a personal bias--do stay up here! I'm not sure if there are communities south of Trenton, but it's beautiful down here by the Shore. If you don't stay, you should at least pass through on your way out.

All the best for you!! :pray:

DominicanPhilosophy

Have you looked into the Nashville Dominicans? :love:

[url="http://www.nashvilledominican.org"]www.nashvilledominican.org[/url]

They are very traditional and have an awesome and solid teaching apostolate throughout the US and now, with one mission in Australia! The sisters in formation and those teaching in Nashville, probably around 100 or so, stay at the beautiful Motherhouse. They are an active-contemplative community with lots of tradition; they celebrate their 150th jubilee in a few years. They have recreation time, continue their own education throughout their lives, and pray the Divine Office, closing each night with a Salve procession.

Good luck in your discernment! I am praying for you.

Edited by DominicanPhilosophy

AccountDeleted

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1649144' date='Sep 6 2008, 02:18 PM']Well, Annie, if there's any consolation to this, you're learning where you DON'T belong, and that can be as beneficial as learning where you do. Keep looking--God is bound to bring you to a good home eventually, you're just taking the scenic route. :lol:

While I myself am called to marry (or am pretty certain), I'm not out to give advice on religious life. But--if only for a personal bias--do stay up here! I'm not sure if there are communities south of Trenton, but it's beautiful down here by the Shore. If you don't stay, you should at least pass through on your way out.

All the best for you!! :pray:[/quote]

I like your point - the scenic route :rolleyes: -- I just have to keep my eyes open to enjoy the scenery!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1649153' date='Sep 6 2008, 02:29 PM']Annie!!

In my opinion you should come to the Netherlands :D[/quote]

Send me the airfare and a visa and Netherlands here I come :rolleyes:

[quote name='nunsense' date='Sep 6 2008, 10:17 AM' post='1649087']
Hello phatmass phamily - Nunsense here again!

Hello Annie,
With your past experience, you might find here very, very interesting.

[url="http://www.franciscanpoorclares.org/moreabout.htm"]http://www.franciscanpoorclares.org/moreabout.htm[/url]

Prayers continue for your disceernment.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='EWIE' post='1649222' date='Sep 6 2008, 03:41 PM']Hello Annie,
With your past experience, you might find here very, very interesting.

[url="http://www.franciscanpoorclares.org/moreabout.htm"]http://www.franciscanpoorclares.org/moreabout.htm[/url]

Prayers continue for your disceernment.[/quote]

EWIE - I exchanged emails with Sister Angela before I went into Carmel and she was very happy to have me come visit but then I had to go to Singapore in a hurry so never got to meet her. They only had about three of the Cuban nuns left in the monastery plus herself (Sr Bernadette has gone to God). Then I entered Carmel and when I was leaving I emailed her again but got no reply, so when I got to the States, I emailed her again and got no reply. Finally, when I was driving cross-country with Rosalind's car, I thought about stopping by their monastery in Texas, and phoned and left a voicemail but got no reply, so never stopped by since it would have been out of my way. I just don't know why I never heard back from her so I figured God must have other plans at the time.

I have just been offered a place to stay (with board) on a horse rescue ranch in Sussex NJ in exchange for barn chores three days a week. That gives me time for prayer, plus I can find a part-time job for extra income for things like car insurance etc.

I am interested in these Franciscans though so if anyone has ever managed to contact them and get a reply in the past year, please let me know!!

Annie
PS Thanks for all the prayers - see - they are starting to work already - our God is so good. :pray:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Mari Therese' post='1649180' date='Sep 6 2008, 02:50 PM']What about Canada Eh? May God guide you Annie.[/quote]

I would love Canada but they won't let ugly Americans like me work there! Eh?

My sister-in-law is from Montreal and I tried to immigrate there once and they lost my paperwork in Hong Kong of all places! Canada just doesn't like me! :unsure:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='passerby' post='1649171' date='Sep 6 2008, 02:44 PM']Well, since you're already in New Jersey, you could always check out the Summit Dominicans...

Blessings.[/quote]

I have checked out both the Summit and the Nashville Dominicans but they don't accept oldies like me.... :sadder:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1649175' date='Sep 6 2008, 02:46 PM']Have you looked into the Nashville Dominicans? :love:

[url="http://www.nashvilledominican.org"]www.nashvilledominican.org[/url]

They are very traditional and have an awesome and solid teaching apostolate throughout the US and now, with one mission in Australia! The sisters in formation and those teaching in Nashville, probably around 100 or so, stay at the beautiful Motherhouse. They are an active-contemplative community with lots of tradition; they celebrate their 150th jubilee in a few years. They have recreation time, continue their own education throughout their lives, and pray the Divine Office, closing each night with a Salve procession.

Good luck in your discernment! I am praying for you.[/quote]

Se my post above about oldies. Dominicans are having such a surge in vocations that they don't seem to have any room for us.... but how wonderful for them and for all those young people. :rolleyes: