An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedictine Vocations

Domine ut Videam

Domine ut Videam

Hey Pham,

I just found out some info today that I have to share with you all. It will make you smile.

I attend college at Benedictine College in KS. We are a small school, about 1200. However, I just found out that last year alone we had 29 students leave to either join the religious life or the priesthood! Isn't that unbelievable! 29 students. I was blown away. I guess this is what happens when we pray for more vocations and truly listen to God's call.

Just wanted to share this joyous news. Have a super awesome Feast of Pope St. Gregory the Great!

Your Sister in Christ,
Lauren

Domine ut Videam

sorry I just realized that was rather unclear. These are not specifically [i]benedictine[/i] (the order), but religious vocations in general. Just from a Benedictine school. :lol_roll:

Maria_Faustina

Awesome! I'm totally a freshman here at Benedictine this year. :) See, I think I misheard that number during orientation week as how many total in Benedictine's history... and I was like, okay, you know, at least that's something. But just last year! Wow. Seems like they really encourage religious vocations then...how wonderful!

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Domine ut Videam' post='1646747' date='Sep 4 2008, 03:41 AM']sorry I just realized that was rather unclear. These are not specifically [i]benedictine[/i] (the order), but religious vocations in general. Just from a Benedictine school. :lol_roll:[/quote]

:lol:

I also get this when people talk about "Benedictine altar arrangements" - it took me a while before I cottoned on that the point of reference was the Pope, not Our Holy Father St. Benedict ;)

VeniteAdoremus

29 in a year - wow!

We're about 15000 at my university, and I think the number will be one this year. Although I also know a priest and a Brother of St. John who studied here. So that's at least three in the six centuries we've been around...

God calls everywhere, but I think [i]following[/i] can be a lot easier if you see other people doing it. If it weren't for PP (I love to tell her that) I'd probably still have thought that all those weird feelings of mine were for something We Just Don't Do Anymore. So it's great to see a college promoting their vocations.

puellapaschalis

VA, is this the bit where I start protesting that I did absolutely nothing and you interrupt me in that dastardly Dutch manner of yours and tell me to shut up?

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1648102' date='Sep 5 2008, 07:22 PM']VA, is this the bit where I start protesting that I did absolutely nothing and you interrupt me in that dastardly Dutch manner of yours and tell me to shut up?[/quote]

:yes:

Domine ut Videam

[quote name='KevinSymonds' post='1646786' date='Sep 3 2008, 09:19 PM']I heard Ben. U. KS was getting its act together after several years of shenanigans.

It appears as though the word was true.

-KJS[/quote]

Yes, it was true that BC had some trouble in the late 80's and early 90's with straying away from its Catholic identity but that definitely isn't true anymore. We are in fact celebrating our Secquicentenial Anniversary (150th) tomorrow and we are only doing better every year.

On another note. It is very comforting to see other young women and men, in my very own class leave to give their lives to Christ. You feel less alone in your discernment and feeling pulled by God. The openness to vocations is a great grace!