An Old School Catholic Message Board

Finally Entering!

FutureScholastica

FutureScholastica

In two weeks, on September 14th, I'm entering entering the Benedictine monastery of the Sacred Heart here in Sweden, as a postulant.

I'm excited about finally entering and in some ways time feels like it's moving at a snail's pace, but at the same time I'm becoming more and more nervous about entering and I feel like time is running out. How can I leave everything behind? How can someone as flawed as I possibly hope to fit in in a monastery?

I know that it is normal have conflicting emotions about entering and to vacillate between elation and sorrow, but that doesn't make it any easier. It's especially hard leaving my mother as she is a widow and I'm an only child. She's also not a Catholic (and only a nominal christian) and doesn't "get" becoming a nun.

Please pray for me and for my mother, that my entrance may not be too hard on her. I'm also asking you to pray for my conversion sponsor who will be making first profession as a Dominican sister on September 8th, together with another girl.

Suzanne

Suzanne,

Hey, I love your name! Anyway, congratulations, sister! I'll be praying for you! Hey, I know you'll be happy because you are going to be with God!

Thomas

Congratulations and may the good God ever be at your side. I think you will find that you and your Mom will get even closer. You are not going to the far side of the moon,, and think of all the new sisters/daughters she will gain. Put your trust and hope in the Lord to take care of all your needs and fears.
Our prayers join yours.

Sister Rose Therese

Congratulations!
We have a Sister too who is in a similar situation. She is an only child. Her Father is a widower and non-Catholic.
It hasn't been easy, but they are doing alright.
Your mother will probably be able to deal with it better once you are in and she sees that you are happy.
God bless!

Saint Therese

I'll be praying for your intention, and for your mother.
My father is not a christian, and is somewhat anti-Catholic. I dread the day when I tell him I'm entering the cloister. So I understand where you're coming from
God bless you!
Pray for all of us here at PhatMass!

[quote name='FutureScholastica' post='1642308' date='Aug 30 2008, 06:18 AM']In two weeks, on September 14th, I'm entering entering the Benedictine monastery of the Sacred Heart here in Sweden, as a postulant.

I'm excited about finally entering and in some ways time feels like it's moving at a snail's pace, but at the same time I'm becoming more and more nervous about entering and I feel like time is running out. How can I leave everything behind? How can someone as flawed as I possibly hope to fit in in a monastery?

I know that it is normal have conflicting emotions about entering and to vacillate between elation and sorrow, but that doesn't make it any easier. It's especially hard leaving my mother as she is a widow and I'm an only child. She's also not a Catholic (and only a nominal christian) and doesn't "get" becoming a nun.

Please pray for me and for my mother, that my entrance may not be too hard on her. I'm also asking you to pray for my conversion sponsor who will be making first profession as a Dominican sister on September 8th, together with another girl.

Suzanne[/quote]

I'm rejoicing with you. My prayers are with you and your mother. I came from a non Christian family and I understand a bit what you've been through...

Many blessings :).

Mari Therese

Congratulations and prayers! Don't worry about your mother. God will give you and her many graces to get through everything. She has a big sacrafice to make aswell.

Congratulations - you are entering on the feast of the Triumph of the Cross!!!- perhaps this is a sign for you - God can do anything so he can change your mothers heart - it's a wonderful day to have for your entry. My family are against me being here but I think they are slowely coming around as last week I had a first and brief visit from one of my sisters, pray for me too that this means they are opening the door to me again.
will keep you in prayer, peace and joy, sr marie terese novice osb - welcome to the Benedictine family too.

Congratulations, Suzanne. Hopefully your mother will come around in time. I will certainly remember the both of you in my prayers. I have been a postulant at Christ in the Desert in New Mexico USA for five months and will soon be entering the Noviciate. All monks and nuns are fallible humans. You and your own flaws will fit in just as your soon-to-be sisters and their flaws will fit in. The important thing is perseverance and the most important thing is humility.

• 2 weeks later...
FutureScholastica

I just wanted to thank all of you for your prayers and wellwishes.
This will be my last entry on phatmass as I'm leaving for the monastery on saturday morning, and I have so much to do tomorrow friday, that I doubt I'll have time to go online.

So, thank you and God bless.

Suzanne